Looking for a camper I can tow with Tesla Model Y

Started by TeslaTim, Mar 25, 2023, 06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeslaTim

I hope this is the right place. I posted the other day but I guess it was the wrong place. I have a 2022 Tesla Model Y. We are hoping to find a trailer we can tow with it. I never towed anything before I dont know where to start.

dno

I'm not sure what a Model Y can tow. I have a model 3 which does not have a towing option. I did see a video of a model 3 towing an airstream, and not a short one. The company that setup the model 3 are towing experts. If I'm not mistaken the model Y has a class 2 hitch so you would need a fairly light camper. The biggest issue towing with EV is the range hit which seems to be greater than with an ICE vehicle. The videos I have seen this could easily between half to two-thirds of your normal range. If your model Y has around a 300 mile range you may only get around 100 miles. Most charging stations are not setup very well for towing so you may need to unhitch to charge.

Some RV manufactures are doing some R&D on adding an electric powertrain to the camper itself providing assistance to the EV for towing. I saw Airstream was one company doing this. There were some guys from Tesla that started a company with the goal of doing this. I also just saw a video on YouTube of a new camper, Lightstream (I think) that may be doing this as well, also ex-Tesla and Rivian employees. While this sounds great I can't imagine it would be inexpensive.
[USAflag]  [usa_az]

CamperDan

Welcome TeslaTim, I'm not sure where everyone is right now but this link was posted for a model 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX5lzqzZ2Do

Model Y Guy

I also have a Model Y and I'm no expert on towing since I've never towed anything significant. I have recently flirted with the idea of getting a small camper I can tow with my Tesla. Just following the conversations here and looking at some of the videos others have linked and some I found myself, it looks like you could expect to loose 1/2 to 2/3 of your towing range. I would think small light-weight campers are best. It looks some of these pop-up campers are doable I would think they would have less drag at the least. I think there is hope, I found the linked video of a Rivian R1T towing a pop-up camper. It seems somewhat tolerable although I'm not sure if the Model Y can do something similar.

dno

Hi Craig, have not seen you in the shop in a while, where you been.

I saw that link several times but haven't clicked it yet, Thanks for posting. that one was not bad, very interesting and a bit more tolerable than what we have been seeing. Now they just need more pull through chargers.
[USAflag]  [usa_az]

Model Y Guy

Quote from: dno on Jul 02, 2023, 12:45 PMHi Craig, have not seen you in the shop in a while, where you been.

I saw that link several times but haven't clicked it yet, Thanks for posting. that one was not bad, very interesting and a bit more tolerable than what we have been seeing. Now they just need more pull through chargers.

My brother bought some property up near Payson, so we have been hanging up here for the last couple months. There is an old mobile home on the property we are all camping out in while we clean things up. Hopefully by this time next year he can start building the new house.

I did find a couple of you tube videos people may be interested in. The first one is for you and your Model 3.

This next one seems very appropriate for here, A Model Y towing a pop-up camper.

dno

Quote from: Model Y Guy on Jul 10, 2023, 04:26 PMMy brother bought some property up near Payson, so we have been hanging up here for the last couple months. There is an old mobile home on the property we are all camping out in while we clean things up. Hopefully by this time next year he can start building the new house.

I love Payson, we normally charge there on the way to New Mexico, it doesn't even feel like Arizona to me. I completely different world. I have actually seen both those videos. There is another Model 3 towing video posted here somewhere that shoes a model 3 towing an Airstream.

I'm not sure I would be tempted to put the hitch on my model 3 while It's still under warranty though. The model Y has tow mode, I don't think the model 3 does.
[USAflag]  [usa_az]

dno

I saw a new video of the guy towing an Airstream with a model 3. He says the airstream is more aerodynamic which helps but they also took everything off the roof of the camper except one Fantastik Vent. He says the camper is only about 6000 lbs and the Model 3 does a great job towing. He also goes into tongue weight which he says ends up being less of a load than four adults in the car. He does have other videos but I thought this was interesting.

[USAflag]  [usa_az]