News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

A Fly in the Ointment...

Started by GoneCamping, Mar 20, 2024, 08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoneCamping

Actually, a gigantic Fly!!

On the 5th one of my accounts with the Bank was hacked, I had a little over a grand in it. I got a Robo call from the bank warning me of suspicious activity, and I immediately called them. Someone had an EFT for $500, then that person got into my "cash back rewards" and transferred that to my main account, then proceeded to get another EFT for the total left in the account. Lucky for me, I was on the phone with the bank at the time, and they managed to stop that 2nd EFT from taking place.

Fast forward 5 days later, they hit my other account (same bank). I had my suspicions, so I was watching that account as I knew my Social Security was due to direct deposit. As soon as it hit the account, I hopped into the truck and drove to Walmart Money Center so I could make the max withdrawal of $1,000, but by the time I got there my balance again was zero. I called the bank while still at the Money Center and again an EFT for $500 was taken, and request for an additional $1120 had been initiated, again they managed to block that.

To make a long story short, they managed to get $500 out of each account, the rest of the money was credited back to my account, but because they closed those accounts I have to wait about 3 more weeks before they send me the money, including the money already credited back to me. This has been a huge pain in the butt!!

Now my trip from Florida to Virginia has been put on hold until I can get my hands on the money!

Lesson learned, having 2 accounts is a fine idea, but make them in totally separate banks!!
Full Time RV'er
Florida (Winter time)
Maine (Summer time)

2009 Silverado (Duramax/Allison)
2005 Sandpiper (5th Wheel)

4Campers

Well that stinks big time. See if your bank offers one time use credit card number. Use it and it's no longer good.
Tim & Donna
Cincinnati, OH
1994 Dutchmen 1002XS, original owners
2016 GMC Acadia

toomanytents

What a monstrous PIA!  I wonder why the thieves picked $500 each time to start.... there must be some reason behind that.  At least you have a bank you can get ahold of quickly and they are responsive!

Just in case, you might put a freeze on your credit too, to make sure the thieves can't get a loan or credit card in your name.
Dave
2011 Ever-lite 27RB -- sold

GoneCamping

That particular bank says they won't open another account with me. So I opened two new accounts, this time in totally different banks. One is a small bank only here in Florida and few other southern states, and their system I can control from their app, I turn off all outgoing activity except predetermined auto pay accounts, I can go into the app and turn the card "swipe" feature on, make a purchase then log back in and turn it right back off.

I also set up everything to be two part verification on everything, changed and enhanced new passwords & pin numbers, and even changed my phone number to a different state (all those accounts were tied in with the phone number, even the new accounts use the phone number).
Full Time RV'er
Florida (Winter time)
Maine (Summer time)

toomanytents

Dave
2011 Ever-lite 27RB -- sold

GoneCamping

As for the bank being responsive, I've called them several times over the last couple of weeks, in all but one of those calls I could barely understand what the Customer rep was saying, and they seem to have trouble understanding what I was saying. Not sure what country those calls are routed through, sounded like China or the Philippines, and it was very frustrating every time.

That being said, of the 2 transgressions, the first one is reported been cleared and I'll get a full refund on that account, not sure exactly when they'll send the money, but they have indicated it's going to be sent and the investigation is final.

I figure it'll take 5 to 7 days for them to complete the 2nd transgression, and that one is for over $1600 so I hope it comes soon.
Full Time RV'er
Florida (Winter time)
Maine (Summer time)

4Campers

Don't you hate it when the rep's English is terrible? One time I asked to speak with a different rep because I was tired of asking her to repeat what she said 3-4 times.
Hope you get all your money back. Damn hackers.
Tim & Donna
Cincinnati, OH
2016 GMC Acadia

GoneCamping

Just as an update, my dispute claims have been granted, and they are suppose to send me check(s) to cover 100% of the money taken, but not all at once it seems. I should get around $1500 in 7-10 days. Had to refile for the other $1120, but since it's part of what has already been investigated & granted, that shouldn't take as long. That money was held up in a "pending" status that they missed.

Meanwhile, I did get my April Soc Security the other day, so I leave Florida tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, one night in Yemassee SC, and then a few nights in Williamsburg Va.
Full Time RV'er
Florida (Winter time)
Maine (Summer time)

4Campers

That's good to hear.
On the road again!
Tim & Donna
Cincinnati, OH
2016 GMC Acadia