Red Neff Barchetta, and beach camping report

Started by SactoCampers, Oct 21, 2003, 03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SactoCampers

Jeff,

Just wanted to let you know you missed out on unbelieveable weather at the beach. We got your message when we returned home that you couldn't make it. Also know you left a message on our cell phone indicating such, but unfortunately our Cingularly pathetic cell phone carrier doesn't have a signal out at Sonoma Coast SB. Not a big deal, we waited an extra half-hour and then left signs for you if you were to arrive. We'll have to do it some other time.

We had a great weekend, but it was so moist at night on Sunday night that the tree above us started raining on the popup. Weird. Also made breaking camp a nuisance since all the sand was wet (as well as everything else we left outside) and I had to dry the bunk end canvas tops before we pushed them in. This trip really made me want a Shadow Cruiser or TrailManor. But as is my standard MO, I lament about the setup break down difficulties/time, realize I can't do anything about it, then look forward to the next trip!

The reflectix blankets worked like a charm. I was roasting. Had to take off a layer of clothes. We even had our fist campfire since having Sactotoddler. She liked cuddling in Mrs. Sactos arms next to the fire.

Seems like everybody at Bodega Dunes is running generators. It's funny, on Sunday, when everybody leaves the campground, the close one of the loops, so those who were staying in that loop yet want to stay at the campground longer, have to move into the open loop. So next to us comes this beater Class C (not an editorial comment, just for visualization purposes), and runs his generator all afternoon. The previous day across from us was a nice new BIG class C with a quieter generator that serendaded us. I can't complain too much, since they didn't have them on THAT long. Also, that guy was a good guitar player so we got to fall asleep to him playin' Knockin' on Heaven's Door. But when I'm sittin' there in my lounge chair drinking a beer after a long day at the beach, I want to hear the ocean waves, not my neighbor's 20 year old generator banging away for 2.5 hours. Ah, but such is life. BTW, I don't know whoever said those Honda generators are quiet. We walked past a cab-over camper who had one of those Honda EU 2000i generators and I wouldn't say it's quiet. I would say it's quiet-ER, but you would definitely know it's on if you were camping next to it.

We drew down the batteries quite a bit this weekend, but never ran out of power. The Electripac did overtime and I had to charge it up Sunday morning using the car. The TV/DVD player really drains that little sucker. Only 34 amp-hours. The picture starts to wobble when it gets really low. The flourescent bulb running on AC doesn't help either.

We ate out at Brisas Del Mar. It was supposed to be seafood, Italian and Mexican (which should always raise flags). Food was a little pricey and their "Mexican fajita quesadillas" weren't that great. The rest of the menu looked good if you like meat that swims. But I don't, so read my bias in this little restaurant review in case anyone was wondering about it. It's the restaurant about .5 mile from the Bodega Dunes entrance.

Persuant to NNC tradition, we cooked a tri-tip Sunday night that we forgot to thaw on Saturday, thus justifying the restaurant review, above.

Anyway, we had a great weekend. Sorry we missed you, but I really only wanted to play with the RC cars anyway. ;>).

Red neff Barchetta

Wow, my very own thread!
Brian,
I am glad you had such a great time with terrific weather.  This is our favorite time of year in these parts.  We are hoping to sneak away this w/e for a quick one-nighter.
Next time I'll bring you our 1K Yamaha generator so you can aim it at the offending sites.  It is indeed quiet, but I still consider it a nuisance which is why we have only started it up once during a power outage and twice while camping - 1 of them was to charge a few batteries at the Del Valle rally.  I only take it as a precaution on remote trips, such as to French Meadows reservoir 2 1/2 months ago where thankfully it wasn't needed.
We were truly bummed to not make it out.  Amy even considered driving out with the boys, but decided not to.  As you know from my messages I had to work due to employee problems.  This is a big job that is going to be shot for Sunset magazine this Thursday so we had to ensure that the final coat of finish will be applied tomorrow.  Now watch, the floors won't even make it in the photo's., lol.  The home as a whole is being featured, not just the floors.
Btw, after working all day Sunday the boys and I had a great time draining the batteries on all 3 RC's.  We set-up 2 ramps over a hedge and duct-taped a Bionicle (it's a Lego thing) to the motorcycle.  He busted up pretty bad ala Evil Knevil.
Also glad to hear the solar blankets under the mattresses worked well for you.
Again, sorry we missed you, but happy to hear you had a great w/e!

Btw, you really need to do my velcro mod. to your Popupgizmo's as well as listen to me regarding other speedy mod's.  That is the only point to my mod's. and ideas - to speed up popping up and down.

Now I'm off to check out the "Rush in Rio" double-dvd & triple-cd sets that arrived today!  Whoohoo!  Good day aye.

SCCS

Quote from: Red neff BarchettaWow, my very own thread!
 This is a big job that is going to be shot for Sunset magazine this Thursday so we had to ensure that the final coat of finish will be applied tomorrow.  Now watch, the floors won't even make it in the photos.

Sorry to hear about your employee problems,but in the end your floors will SHINE through. :)

SactoCampers

Wow, Sunset magazine. That's pretty big news. Hope your employee situation works out. That's gotta be irritating, especially knowing you missed out on a beach day with the Sactocampers. ;)  

Quote from: Red neff BarchettaAs you know from my messages I had to work due to employee problems. This is a big job that is going to be shot for Sunset magazine this Thursday so we had to ensure that the final coat of finish will be applied tomorrow. Now watch, the floors won't even make it in the photo's., lol. The home as a whole is being featured, not just the floors.

6Quigs

Quote from: SactoCampersSeems like everybody at Bodega Dunes is running generators. ....
QUOTE]
We dry camped for the first time in yonkers.
The fluid level in Battery # 2 was low and it only lasted one night :(
I had to borrow the one from the Niagara, so everything was fine, but have to agree on the generators running, It can be a bit annoying, especially the older generators.

BTW Jeff,
congratulations on your very own thread,
especially as it looks like I am the one who started the general coughing & rousing thread :confused: