News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Aliner A/C units

Started by Jim K in PA, Jul 30, 2008, 02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim K in PA

The Aliner campers utilize a through the wall A/C unit that is very compact.  It has a vertically oriented interior discharge plenum that can be moutned in a countertop.  Does anyone know who makes them or where to source them?  They could be a great alternative to rooftop units on pop ups.

Thanks for any assistance.

wavery

Quote from: Jim K in PAThe Aliner campers utilize a through the wall A/C unit that is very compact.  It has a vertically oriented interior discharge plenum that can be moutned in a countertop.  Does anyone know who makes them or where to source them?  They could be a great alternative to rooftop units on pop ups.

Thanks for any assistance.
Funny you should ask. I just bought one for my Trailmanor yesterday at a Fedders Distributer.

It installs under the counter (inside a cabinet) and exhausts out the side wall of the camper. If you want, I can post pics of the installation when I do it.

You could probably get away with a 6,000-8,000BTU unit. The Trailmanor is twice the cubic feet of the Aliner.

10,000 BTU Cool
9.8 EER
With Remote
Unit Dimensions:              
20 3/32"w, 13 7/8"h, 19 3/8"d.
Shipping Weight: 69lbs.
$252.00
  LG Model LWHD1006R

http://www.aafeders.com/products/ac/window&wallac/#10

ForestCreature

I believe ours is a 6,000 BTU, it cools the A just fine. I don't see it working as well in a regular canvas pop up. Remember the A is insulated, your pop up isn't.. my guess is you'd need atleast a 10,000 to keep a canvas pop up cool.

As for who makes them, any window air conditioner could work. Aliner has gone thru 2 or 3 different makes over the years.

wavery

Quote from: ForestCreatureI believe ours is a 6,000 BTU, it cools the A just fine. I don't see it working as well in a regular canvas pop up. Remember the A is insulated, your pop up isn't.. my guess is you'd need atleast a 10,000 to keep a canvas pop up cool.

As for who makes them, any window air conditioner could work. Aliner has gone thru 2 or 3 different makes over the years.
Our PU (Trailmanor) is insulated too.....better than the Aliner (I believe). It's made of 1" thick polystyrene with aircraft aluminum laminated on both sides. Super lite, good insulation and super strong.

Although I must say......I think that we will miss our big windows in the canvas PU. We love laying in bed in the morning with our coffee, watching the Dolphins play in the surf out of those big windows. It was more like being outside.

dkutz

Quote from: waveryOur PU (Trailmanor) is insulated too.....better than the Aliner (I believe). It's made of 1" thick polystyrene with aircraft aluminum laminated on both sides. Super lite, good insulation and super strong.

Although I must say......I think that we will miss our big windows in the canvas PU. We love laying in bed in the morning with our coffee, watching the Dolphins play in the surf out of those big windows. It was more like being outside.

You could always add another window. ;)

We were laying in our trailer at Lopez, and I wondered why they don't make a pup with a clear roof on the ends, kind of a sky light.  IT would be cool!

ForestCreature

Quote from: waveryOur PU (Trailmanor) is insulated too.....better than the Aliner (I believe). It's made of 1" thick polystyrene with aircraft aluminum laminated on both sides. Super lite, good insulation and super strong.

Same basic construction as our Aliner (the newer ones are fiberglass)  The insulation value is R6. We looked and played with the TMs at the show, really liked the one with the couch on one end and the bed on the other. Slightly out of our price range. Our next camper will most likely be a smaller 24' or so TT (no truck for the 5er yet)

Jim K in PA

Thanks for the link to those A/C units, Wayne.  I have to get a better look at the one Aliner is using in their newer models, because the discharge plenum and control panel are nearly horizontal, which makes it nice for wall mounting without eliminating a seat or full cabinet.  I think they duct the return air in somehow.

I agree that a Pop up, even a small one like a Viking 1706, will need a bit more than 6k Btu/hr output, but I dont think it will need more than 10k.  The prices for the Carrier rooftop unit are not that much more than the compact wall units, so I am not sure if the extra fab work to put one in the wall of a PUP is worth it.  I recently saw some smaller (narrower) than "standard" rooftop units on small pop ups.  I have not found them online yet, but I'll keep looking.

Just by way of background, I am helping my mom shop for a small PUP right now.  I am going to look at a very nice, clean Viking 1796 tonight.  It is a 2006 bought as a leftover in 2007, and supposedly only used once last year.  It has furnace/fridge/stove/sink, etc., but no A/C.  She originally liked the Aliners, but the subtantial cost difference of them over a traditional small PUP is a problem for her.  This lightly used Viking is less than half of a newer used Aliner and much less than half of a new Aliner.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

ForestCreature

Has your Mom looked into the sport line of the As. I think they run considerably less that the regular line that they now call the Classic.  The hard part is finding a used one.

Jim K in PA

Quote from: ForestCreatureHas your Mom looked into the sport line of the As. I think they run considerably less that the regular line that they now call the Classic.  The hard part is finding a used one.

Marcy,

Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes, in fact the "Sportliner" is the exact model she liked in terms of floorpan and feature, but they are still not inexpensive.  It is a new model, and used ones are essentially non-existant.  We have been speaking with Stoltzfus RV in West Chester PA, which is an Aliner dealer.  They have a used 2007 Sportliner, without many options (no fridge), but it is still almost $10k.  The '08 Sportliner they have they are asking well over $11k for!!!  :yikes: It is loaded with all the desirable options, but that is just way more than she wants, or needs, to spend.

sandykayak

Quote from: waveryOur PU (Trailmanor) is insulated too.....

Just heard there was a forum for A-framers here.  I have a new 09 Aliner Classic and when I went inside my old (buyer is now a good friend) 8' box Jayco IT LOOKED HUGE!!

But everything's a tradeoff...I miss that feeling of being out in the open and having a 360 deg view....but the setup/takedown is AWESOME!!

SheBantam

My Cabin A came with a 5000 or 6000 BTU unit in the wall between a floor cabinette and a wall cabinette.

NIce thing about the Cabin A is the set up, basically park,plug and play...unless you are a mistress (or master) of gadgettry...then there is more messing...But then I have my F150 set up so even the gadgets are easy to get to...