News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Pop Up Window Insulation

Started by Surfcal, Jan 31, 2005, 09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfcal

I posted this tip in the General Forum, but I know a lot of NNC folks don't go there often, but I thought I'd pass it along. Olema is coming up and it might be a mod you'd like to do.

On a recent camping trip, one of the simple mods we put in place was to trim those shiny reflective materials you use for windshields and cut them into the shape of the pop up windows. To keep them in place, we just slid them in the slot between the the screen and canvas.

I thought it'd make a difference, but the result was dramatic. We had to crank the heater down. It also kept the morning light out which made it conducive for sleeping in. Along with the top cover over the bunk and with the custom-made insulation, it made for very toasty and comfortable nights.

It's a fun project to do and got three window shapes done in a half hour. Storage is easy since those fold so readily.

The material I used was from Camping World and bought the reflective windshield stuff for motorhomes. I just wanted to work with a larger piece to begin with and those are huge. They are a bit pricey and you can get similar materials in bulk at one of the big box warehouses. I do like the sturdiness of the ones I bought and the existing folds of the original shade made it easy to put away. It also had excellent insulation properties.

With this technique, it could help extend your camping season by weeks on each end.

Surfcal

P.S. With those shiny things in the windows, the pop up bunkend looks like a NASA project.

gsm x2

Kewl idea Ray.  Do I see yet another PUT article in the making?

Scott

Surfcal

Could be Scott.  However, I am still waiting for your article on Zoom to get published.  I'll have to check on that.

You're right, the window insulation would be a good shorty.

Surfcal

zamboni

Quote from: SurfcalIt's a fun project to do and got three window shapes done in a half hour.

Of course... it helps that you have only "half" a camper!
 :p

zymomyz

Hey Ray, I just cross posted a link to this thread on PUX  :D

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23090