News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Sal Update

Started by Calstate361, Aug 04, 2009, 10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calstate361

For previous notes on Sal's health, please see the last pages of the "What's everyone up to" thread.

Last update was that Sal had a Dr appointment last Wednesday (7/29/09) where we found out that his amonia levels were up to 70 again (they want the levels to be as low as they can get, single digits) so I had to increase his Lactulose.  He is still quite frail and weak.  

Yesterday when I got home at about 1:10, he was on the floor.  I asked him if he fell again and he said he just slid off the recliner and couldn't get up.  I asked him if he could get up and he said he was trying, after about 10-15 minutes of this and him not moving, I tested his sugar level and it was down to 47 so I called 911 AGAIN.  The paramedics tested again and it was down to 21 so they gave him glucose via IV and transported him to Kaiser Roseville.  Well, to make a long story short, he is admitted again because his sugar levels keep fluctuating.   The Dr suspects that since he has lost 130 pounds in the last 2 months that he was on to much diabetes medicine and it's taxing his kidneys and liver.  It takes over a day for the diabetes medicine go get out of his system so he may come home today, depending on the levels.  One good thing about this is that the blood work came back and his amonia levels were down to 9, so hoepfully we finally have that under control.  Needless to say, I'm beat.  I got home last night at midnight and had to get up at 4:30 this morning to be to work by 6:30.  I will sure be glad when we get him stabalized.

I'll keep you all posted.

THANKS

Joan

wavery

You guys are certainly in our prayers.

Tell Sal to hang in there........there are better days ahead. :). He's very fortunate to have a loving wife.....;)

OC Campers

Hang in there Joan.  It is going to get better.  We are all praying for him.

Jacqui

6Quigs

Joan,
Sorry to hear about Sal, but let him know ware thinking of him and look forward to seeing you both at a campground in the near future

Calstate361

THANKS All, I'll relay your wishes to Sal.  

I picked him up from the Hospital yesterday afternoon.  He is better but still weak and frail.  The doctors think that since he lost over 130 pounds in the last 2 months that he had gotten too much of his diabetes medicine so they took him off of it for now.  He has to monitor his sugar levels real closely and give himself insulin injections according to what his readings are.   They also cut down the amount of Lactulose he has to take for his ammonia levels.  Furtunately, they went down to 9, which is good.  Last week when we saw the doctor it was up to 70.

Now it's a matter of gettig him somewhat healthy again.  He will never be completely healthy with his Cirosis of the Liver, but we can keep a close eye on it along with all his other problems.:(

Furtunately, I'm fine. :p  I don't have time to get sick taking care of Sal.:banghead:

THANKS

Joan

Calstate361

Well, Sal is out of the hospital for now.  At least he hasn't had any more problems lately.  He is still quite frail and a bit confused but we are dealing with it.  He has another follow-up appointment on Friday so I will need to get him into the lab today or tomorrow to draw blood to check the ammonia levels before the appointment.  I don't know if he will ever get any better at this point, we just take one day at a time.  

Joan