News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Del Valle Camping

Started by JohnandLeann, Dec 04, 2009, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnandLeann

Hi NorCal Campers.
How is The Del Valle campground?  I was looking around for some camping in the area of Sunol.  I am interested in visiting The Niles Canyon Railway some time in the future and this place looks nice so far.  Does it get crowded in the summer or early spring times?

Thanks in advance for your input on this or other camping near Sunol area.

OC Campers

We have not been to this campground.  I believe there was a norcal rally there one year and the only thing I remember people talking about was the raccoons.

Jacqui

miss kathy

I went a couple of years ago and it was nice- but you have to make sure that you get the sites that are by the grass area- the rest have no trees and dry grass. -It get's really hot in the summer time- and has snakes

miss kathy

boncrab

Hey,

We really love Del Valle. Have been there a few times.

That campground is located in a nature reserve.  Yes, there are racoons so keep your food put away.  We named our raccoon, rocky. We haven't been there for a few years, last time we were there the rangers had a nature talk in the evening. On our walk in the dark back to our campsite we shined our flashlights around and saw a lot of deer. Then found our raccoon sitting on our picnic table eating a bag of our chips.

It was a great week.

They have a nice swimming beach area as well.

PtownPopup

You might also consider camping at Anthony Chabot Regional Park.  It's north of Sunol and a nice drive through Palomares Canyon.  There are about 11 campsites that have partial hookups and it is located in a grove of eucalyptus and oak trees overlooking Lake Chabot.  There are some great hiking and moutain bike trails within the park.

On March 20th and 21st, 2010 the Niles Canyon Railroad is hosting Steamfest II, where they will have four steam locomotives offering rides between Sunol and Niles.  One of the trains is going to be powered by all four steam engines.  It sounds like a lot of fun.  We would probably attend, but will hopefully be camping at Mt. Madonna.  We are looking forward to a clear and sunny weekend.  I am getting a little cabin fever with all this rain.....but I know we need it, so I'll quit complaining.

We had planned to camp at Half Moon Bay this coming weekend, but cancelled due to the upcoming rain on both Saturday and Sunday.

Glenn

http://www.ebparks.org/parks/anthony_chabot

OC Campers

Quote from: PtownPopup;215358You might also consider camping at Anthony Chabot Regional Park.  It's north of Sunol and a nice drive through Palomares Canyon.  There are about 11 campsites that have partial hookups and it is located in a grove of eucalyptus and oak trees overlooking Lake Chabot.  There are some great hiking and moutain bike trails within the park.

On March 20th and 21st, 2010 the Niles Canyon Railroad is hosting Steamfest II, where they will have four steam locomotives offering rides between Sunol and Niles.  One of the trains is going to be powered by all four steam engines.  It sounds like a lot of fun.  We would probably attend, but will hopefully be camping at Mt. Madonna.  We are looking forward to a clear and sunny weekend.  I am getting a little cabin fever with all this rain.....but I know we need it, so I'll quit complaining.

We had planned to camp at Half Moon Bay this coming weekend, but cancelled due to the upcoming rain on both Saturday and Sunday.

Glenn

Hey Glenn--a bunch of us are camping at Del Valle April 16-18.  You are welcome to join us.  We are in sites 8-10

Jacqui

JohnandLeann

Too bad our weekendof the 20th is planned out already.  The steamfest is just the kind of thing that I am talking about.  Have never been to one but do get to watch and record them on Trains and Locomotives from RFDTV.
Oh, bummer.

miss kathy

Quote from: PtownPopup;215358You might also consider camping at Anthony Chabot Regional Park.  It's north of Sunol and a nice drive through Palomares Canyon.  There are about 11 campsites that have partial hookups and it is located in a grove of eucalyptus and oak trees overlooking Lake Chabot.  There are some great hiking and moutain bike trails within the park.

Glenn

I am leaving for Petaluma in about 1 hour and yes we will have rain- but still will be fun:)

Calstate361

Jacqui is correct in stating that Nick-Neff-Cough (the name before it was changed to NorCal) had a rally there many years ago when most of us still had our PUPs.  You have to drive through Livermore to get there.  

There are a lot of Racoons, as a matter of fact, a huge family of them.   Some of them even tried to steal a blue grey water tank!  :yikes: They had the tank pulled out as far as the hose would let it go trying to steal it.   If you camp there remember to also put something heavy on top of your ice chest if you leave it out because we woke up and found all these dirty little hand prints all over the ice chest trying to get in and dirt in the dogs water bowl, etc.   One of the group left their windows down on their car and they found the Racoons in there eating stuff, then had a hard time getting them out of the car.  :eyecrazy:

I don't know if they have updated the restroom facilities, but you take a shower in the cold as it is all open at the top and bottom with only a door in the middle.  Also remember to put the top toilet seat down as the Racoons will go in there and get the seat all dirty from them washing everything in the toilet.   It was quite fun figuring out what they might do next.   We were all happy that ARVEE came to our rally.  :-()

There are a lot of deer that feed at dusk and dawn on the large grass area.

It was a nice place.

Joan