News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: NNC Fireside Chat, Wed. 8:30 pm

Started by g-whiz, Mar 12, 2003, 10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SactoCampers

SurfcalMan, wish I was there. I ve been eyeing some affordable 2 mp digital cameras and would have liked to discuss it with you. Maybe TMM could tell me something about the Vivitars (3620/3615). Last year I bought a refurbished 1 mp Olympus that was basically a piece of junk. When it worked, it was fine, but it seldom worked. And I d like to get one where we can actually print pictures.

I have an additional memory card from that Olympus, does anybody know which brands use the same memory cards as that Olympus? It was the D-100 Brio, I think. It s sitting in my closet right now because it won t power up.

We took some black and white film pictures up in Tahoe last weekend that turned out great.

Oh, also, I wasn t at the chat because I had to do some last minute packing. We have to go to Reno last minute due to a death in the extended family. Whew! good thing I didn t sign us up for any rallies this weekend, or I would be pulling a Sactocamper!

gsm x2

SactoCampersBrian,

I had the very discussion with Memory Maker at Olema---having had a Kodak camera finally die after a slow and painful death.  Can t complain too much because I did shoot over 3400 pictures with it, so it paid for itself.

Memory type was a consideration in my replacement since I have three 32 MG Compact Flash cards that I still wanted to use.

Here was Memory Makers advice on cameras that use Compact Flash.
 [ul]
  • Buy a camera from a company that makes cameras...and Kodak makes good film, but doesn t make cameras
  • For compact flash, you ll need to go to Canon or Nikon.  Both are good cameras
  • Canon has the better software package including a program that allows you to stitch together multiple shots into one photograph. (I nearly ignored that since I love using PaintShop Pro for photo editing.  Glad I didn t because I love the stitch feature)
  • I ll add one piece of advice from previous camera purchases.  Get a camera the feels right to you.
  • [/ul]
     That said, I purchased a Canon Powershot A40...2 megapixels...nice feel...and yes, nice software.  Only drawback, viewfinder only shows 80% of the actual photo.  Can be overcome, but seems like it would have been a simple thing to overcome.

As Surfcal said, last night s discussion was an amazing exchange of technical information:  resolution; size and balance; focusing on small objects; getting the quick candid shot.  All great information...with an occational discussion on what happens when you hit the wrong button.

gsm x2

Cottonwooder

gsm x2
QuoteAs Surfcal said, last night s discussion was an amazing exchange of technical information: resolution; size and balance; focusing on small objects; getting the quick candid shot. All great information...with an occational discussion on what happens when you hit the wrong button.

You guys should be PR writers.  Yes, technically we did discuss all those things.  Yup, PR.  [;)]

6Quigs

gsm x2Speaking of Cameras, we got a Canon digital Elph S330.
 It s physically smaller than GSM s A40, but is a 2 Megapixel camera with a 3x optical zoom,
 We are real happy with it, if I wasn t so busy running around after 4 kids i would have taken more photos with it at Snug and Olema.

So this weekend, I check out the viewfinder, and notice it also is only 80% of what I see in the digital screen on the back!
 Now it bothers me every time I take a photo[:(]

Surfcal

gsm x2Sactocampers:

I ll add one more thought.  A prevailing question is, does size matter?

Answer:  Yes and No.

The American psyche always goes for the " bigger and better"  mentality.  However, let me inject that I find this to be the opposite for what s wise for the typical digital camera purchase for the typical consumer.

For snapshots and moderate quality, all you is a camera that produces shots in the 2 megapixels neighborhood.  Yes, a lot of people will advise you to pick up cameras with greater number of pixels.  Hard to disagree.

But, for 90% of the shoots you will do, a 2 megapixel camera will do just fine, with enough tightness in pixels, it ll be more inexpensive, and chances are, it ll be small enough for portability to take just about anywhere.

Like GSM said, I would recommend that you spend the money on a camera with the finest lens for your price range and don t spend it on the amount of megapixels it takes.  And I do agree with the Canon, Nikon or in my opinion, Olympus options.  I have heard great reviews.

Personally, I chose a Sony because I like the interconnectivity Sony with its other line of products.  But I did that based on interconnectivity and not on any photographic basis.

Surfcal

P.S.  See how much we learned from the chat?

Nick

gsm x2Hey Brian,
 My dad got a Sony (I ll have to check on the model #) and seems to be very happy with it.  It was in the $300 range so not sure if it fits your budget.  Fry s has a good selection and from the checking I did very competitive on the price.  I believe its a 2.5 or 3 mp

SactoCampers

Nick
Quotethe $300 range so not sure if it fits your budget.

Subtract about $200 and you get the " picture"  (no pun intended[;)]).[/quote]

What can I say, I m a cheapskate.

I saw a Vivitar 3620 with battery and charger for $119 + $2.95 for delivery and I was wondering if it was a good camera. It s 2 MP, has USB and software. I don t care if the software is very good, I ve always been able to learn it (the Olympus and my camcorder has a cheapy digital camera) and as long as I can crop and put black dots over the red eye, that s all I need.

But I m debating between the camera and a pressure washer. Probably won t buy either.

6Quigs

Surfcal

QuoteORIGINAL:  Surfcal

But, for 90% of the shoots you will do, a 2 megapixel camera will do just fine,

Surfcal,
 here you go messing with numbers, clearly an area you are not qualified in.
 Equating this figure of 90% to TOS figure of 3,400 photos taken,
 you have basically said that for 340 photos the 2 megapixel camers is insufficient for the task[:(]

2 megapixel is great for photos for e-mail, webshots, websites, even printing in an 8" x6"  format, it is only if you requre to enlarge a photo to an 8" x10"  size or larger that you would require a 4 megapixel camera.
 which now using TOS s 3400 photos, of which maybe, just maybe, 3 or 4 he might want to enlarge, we get a more accurate percentage of 0.1%.

Just trying to help[;)]

Cottonwooder

Nick
Quoteso not sure if it fits your budget.

Try checking eBay.  The sellers describe their cameras as new, unopened, factory sealed, with bids going around 1/2 to 2/3 the regular prices at stores.

Cottonwooder

CottonwooderOMG, the dear soul is roaming from board to board looking for someone to chat with tonight.  Thought I d resurrect this board.  It s not much notice, but if you can make it, please pop into the chatroom tonight, 8ish.

Dianne, today is Mike s birthday (40th!!!!), so we re going out for dinner.  If I m late to chat, that s the reason! [:)]

Cottonwooder

CottonwooderDianne, a handful of us was in there for an hour.  We missed you.  Some other time, OK?

gsm x2It has been a long since NNC has held a Fireside Chat.  So, I figured that it wouldn t hurt to have a virtual party online.  Just show up with your favorite drink, have a good joke or two, and of course gossip is always encouraged.  It s time to reminice, to rekindle old frienships and do some gool ol  Rabble Rousing.

How about it folks, an old fashioned Fireside Chat:

When:  Wednesday, July 9th at 8:00 pm to ???
 Where:  The PUT Fireside Chat, a short walk down the trail at PUT
 What to bring:  A wicked sense of humor, some good stories and BYOB

Surfcal

Surfcal

gsm x2Sorry, it has been a while since I checked the site and posted.  I pulled an Otter.

Surfcal

Ca-girl

gsm x2I think that s a great idea, and it gives me just enough time to repeat one thousand times...." PINK button, PINK button, PINK button"

Kelly

Ca-girl[font=" comic sans ms" ]Pink button!  LOL  

There s a big ole group of us that used to hang out at Fireside that have since moved on to AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) ~ we re always looking for new faces!  We d love to have you join us some night ~ someone is there nearly every night!  If you d like more information just drop me an email and I ll get you all the details.

I ll try and join you all Wednesday ~ if you ll forgive me ahead of time for lurking until I can " catch up"  with the conversation!!  [/font]