RE: " Wave n at da Beach" Nor-Cal Mini-Rally!

Started by otter, May 07, 2003, 01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otter

SurfcalI m packed and ready to go.
 Well, almost..................[:)]

Ab Diver

Ca-girl
QuoteLet me know if I can bring or do anything to help the process.

Perhaps we should put down who is bringing what in one place for easy reference:

Saturday night potluck

champ521-- a big pot (crock) of bbq beans

otter-- I ll bring dessert of some kind (s)

ca-girl--- maybe one more side dish and some hors d oeuvres

Surfcal-- I will bring an appetizer or desert, depending on what s available in Champ s cooler

Red neff Barchetta-- corn on the cob lathered in butter and wrapped in foil for the BBQ.

Robucko-- Will you PLEASE get your new puter online!!! [;)] (I ll call jerry and see what he s bringing)

Ab Diver-- Ceaser salad for the wife, and for me... Tri-tip, cut in slices, skewered, and marinated. It cooks real fast that way so we won t be tied up watching over it while we are hopefully cleaning our--

Abalone!-- group effort?   Weather permitting, we shall see...

Other meals:

Friday night easy dinner: Ab Diver-- BBQ ed Brauts, or.... send a runner for pizza?

Saturday breakfast-- Bacon, eggs, sausage, pancakes, biscuts and country gravy, home fries... wadda you guys wanna have?

Sunday breakfast,... quicky meal, or a final feast?

lunches?

Right now it s pretty loose. Wanna leave it that way, or get more specific and plan it out? I m open for suggestions.

Red neff Barchetta

otterDave -
 I m easy (just ask Amy), but loosey-goosey with just a hint of organization sounds good to me.
 I can head in for Pizza s Friday night or we can do burger s or whatever.  My 3 year-old is stuck on PBJ s and applesauce right now so he s easy.

Btw, I m sanitizing the water system in the PU on Wednesday afternoon and will keep your tips in mind.
 Thanks!

Surfcal

otterHey Champ:

Will you let me know what you ll be bringing so we can update the food roster.  I need to know so I can let everyone know what I m stealing from your cooler.

Surfcal

Ab Diver

SactoCampers

Surfcal
QuoteSurfcal-- I will bring an appetizer or desert, depending on what s available in Champ s cooler

Does anyone see any irony in this comment?

Surfcal plans to raid Champ s cooler, yet Champ is bringing a big  ole pot of beans. With Surfcal s gastrointestinal tract well documented as being highly combative during camping rallies, I think this is a crisis in the making.

Champ, for the benefit of all, I have one suggestion for you:

**STRAIN THE BEANS**

Surfcal

SactoCampers
QuoteORIGINAL:  SactoCampers

QuoteSurfcal-- I will bring an appetizer or desert, depending on what s available in Champ s cooler

Does anyone see any irony in this comment?

Surfcal plans to raid Champ s cooler, yet Champ is bringing a big  ole pot of beans. With Surfcal s gastrointestinal tract well documented as being highly combative during camping rallies, I think this is a crisis in the making.

Champ, for the benefit of all, I have one suggestion for you:

**STRAIN THE BEANS**

Sacto:

If my memory serves me right, there was one crucial ingredient that served as a catalyst and that was Nick s Beer.  Therefore, you need an element to serve as a catalytic (or should I say, catastrophic) converter.

I have to be careful though as I am volatile during NNC rallies.  If I am going diving with the Ab Diver, I can t be bloated up.  I have to be able to dive and bloating keeps you bouyant.  However, if you re swimming above me while diving and you see rapid bubbles rising in quick succession and it s not coming from my snorkel, you d best keep out of the way.  In other words, don t tailgate.

And now, what strain of beans are you advocating Sacto?

Surfcal

SactoCampers

Surfcal
QuoteSacto:

If my memory serves me right, there was one crucial ingredient that served as a catalyst and that was Nick s Beer.  Therefore, you need an element to serve as a catalytic (or should I say, catastrophic) converter.

And now, what strain of beans are you advocating Sacto?

Surfcal

It s well known in the bbq beans and chili-cooking circles that unstrained beans are, in fact, a catalyst for excessive anthropogenic methane production. So, if you imbibe in both Nick s beer and Champ s unstrained beans, you are a ticking timebomb and your life may actually be at risk. You ve seen the signs that say no smoking within 30 feet of a propane refill facility? Well, propane is mostly methane and Surfcal, after the circumstances just illustrated, is mostly methane as well. So you need to stay far far away from the campfire and don t even think about lighting up one of your cigarettes.[:o]

I give you this advice because I care about your well-being. [;)]

otter

Surfcal
QuoteWill you let me know what you ll be bringing so we can update the food roster. I need to know so I can let everyone know what I m stealing from your cooler.

Surfcal

We used to have a janitor who would take anything my class and I left in the classroom overnight.  It got annoying; sooooooo
 I made some " chocolate chip"  cookies, substituing Exlax for the chips.  He was out for 3 days.  We had no more missing food.  I probably would be on CNN and go to jail today; but it served our purposes well.
 Just a gentle warning, Surf-Cal [&:][&:][&:]

Surfcal

otterOtter,

That is a mighty fine rabble rouse.  I guess RR " runs"  in the NNC family.

Surfcal

Surfcal

otter2 Days to go for most.

1 Day for Otter & Surfcal.

A rally tip.  Don t forget to print out G-Whiz s Contact Data List.  You never know when it ll come in handy.  If you need one, contact G-Whiz.  Her info is on the Contact Data List.

Surfcal

g-whiz

Surfcal

QuoteORIGINAL:  Surfcal

2 Days to go for most.

1 Day for Otter & Surfcal.

A rally tip.  Don t forget to print out G-Whiz s Contact Data List.  You never know when it ll come in handy.  If you need one, contact G-Whiz.  Her info is on the Contact Data List.

Surfcal

Ha, ha Surfcal!  [:D]  If you need a list just e-mail me (the little envelope with the blue arrow over there on the left).  I can send you the Word version as I have not loaded Excel onto my new HP Computer yet.  Also, I am gathering information for updates and a new and improved list will be available next week so that all will have one done on my new HP Computer before the Gold Rush.  Go here for details:

http://www.popuptimes.com/members/tm.asp?m=19140&p=1&tmode=1

Calstate361

otterHi all, just sitting here reading the Boards before I get busy with work.

Hay Ab, I saw your note a page back and you said you purchased one of those fry pots.  That s great, I have had one for about 3-4 years now and since I got it I only fry my Turkey.  It makes it so fast, it only takes about 1 hour to fry a 22 lb. turkey.  You fry it outside so there is no heat up in the house and the turkey is nice and crunchy on the outside and very moist inside.  I don t know if you need to use peanut oil or not, but one thing I have learned (from someone else who had a fryer when I purchased mine) is to use peanut oil because is has a very high temp. tolerance.  (For a turkey you have to heat the oil up to 350-400 degrees)  I purchase my peanut oil at Smart & Final.  They have it in 1 gallon jugs and it is around $6.00 per jug.  I like it in the smaller jugs instead of the huge 5 gallon jug because you can re-use the oil about 3 times (depending on what you fry in it).  I purchased a pump with a filter on it from Cabella s so I can strain the oil back into the jugs.  Then because they are only 1 gallon size they fit into the garage refrigerator to use again.

Otter,  regarding the kayak you were interested in.  I saw one listed for sale in our May issue of our paddeling newletter.  It is a Lancer flatwater K-1, fiberglass, 30 years old.  The footbrace and seams need work.  He only wants $30 for it, but I m not sure if Lon would know how to fix it.   K-1 means a Kayak: flatwater means the boat is designed to be used in a lake (or flat body of water) and not on the river (unless you are a very experiences paddler).  Fiberglass is good because the Kayak will probably only weigh about 20-30 lbs.  To make the seam repairs Lon would have to purchase some fiberglass and re-seal the seams.  I m no expert, but I think that is what you would need to do.  I m sure we could find someone who could repair it for you or tell Lon how to do it.  Let me know if you are still interested and I ll give you the person s phone number.  I m not even sure it it is still available. Of couse then, Lon would have to purchase a paddle, and other essentials.  I suggest connecting with another paddler in your area so that Lon gets the correct length/size paddle.

Sure wish we could join you all for the mini rally, but as I said before, I have to time a canoe and kayak race on Saturday.

Well, got to get busy with work.  ta ta

Joan

Red neff Barchetta

otterIf anyone s cell phone works the last 80 miles to the rally let me know who your carrier is!  I m sure my last possible call will be in the Cloverdale area.
 I ve got Verizon and it doesn t even work out at the Sonoma county coast area.  Drives me nuts, but the thought of switching 6 phones over to a new provider drives me even more nuts.

Guess I ll have to look around the house and find my calling card, lol!  Sure love the free long distance on the cell phone.

otter

otterHey Joan,  Thanks for the info:  I ll ask Lon   (and the kids).  I will just bite the bullet and go to REI.  Or down size our ideas to a blow up/zodiac type.  Some thing light and verstal.  We see people out in canoes and zodiacs when we are camping and thing gee that would be fun.  I ll think on it a over the weekend.  
 Where do you do your kayak timing?  That would be fun to join some time.
 We ll talk at gold rush.  
 Dianne=Otter