News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: Renaming Threads

Started by Hybrid Holly, Jan 14, 2003, 11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g-whiz

g-whizI sure will be glad when Thursday gets here and we get that cable because this takes FOREVER on a dial-up.  I m going to stand up to Cottonwooder.  Forget TPing her house.  This is so much more fun.  [:D][:D]

Cottonwooder

g-whiz
QuoteI m going to turn this page if it kills me!

By golly, you ve found the sole unflippable page.  Sacto probably rigged it that way.

Cottonwooder

g-whizShe beat me by 39 seconds.  [:(]

^5   <--high 5 ing my neighbor.  " Good job!"  [:)]

Now I ll go back to my corner to pout.  [:(]

g-whiz

g-whizYea!  Yippee!  Hooray!!!  I saw what had to be done and I did it!  On a dial-up no less.  That should really count for something.  Like maybe a free hot dog!

Cottonwooder

g-whizDammit, forgot about the broccoli boiling away... probably dry by now.  Gotta run.

Congrats!  (BTW, we re on dial-up too.  Evenly matched.)  ^5  [:D]

g-whiz

Cottonwooder

QuoteORIGINAL:  Cottonwooder

Dammit, forgot about the broccoli boiling away... probably dry by now.  Gotta run.

Congrats!  (BTW, we re on dial-up too.  Evenly matched.)  ^5  [:D]

I hate when that happens.  I ruined a brand new 2.5 quart saucepan doing that very same thing.  Actually, I put the steamer thingy in the pan, put the broccoli in the thingy and turned on the flame.  I set the time for 8 minutes as that is how long it usually takes and went about my business.  I smelled something and was thinking... Man, somebody is burning something.  I even stepped out on the balcony to see if what was on fire out there.  I thot the 8 minutes must be about up so went to check on the broccoli and as I walked toward the kitchen the smell got worse and worse.  Then it dawned on me... I forgot to put the water in the pan before I put the steamer thingy in.  [:@][: (][&:]  So (are you listening to this Sammyslave?), when I say I m not much of a cook you will now believe me!

Surfcal

g-whizSammyslave:

Come on and post.  We need you pal!

G-Whiz

gsm x2

g-whizI wish we would have gotten high speed service a long time ago now.  I can t believe how much better it is.

Case in point

This morning I went to update a program I have.  It was a 15+ mg download.  After starting the download, I went to the restroom to complete a personal download of another kind.

By the time I got back, the computer s download was done.

Yeah cable.

gsm x2

6Quigs

g-whizCongrats on the new cable modem Scott.

Did you guys have 2 phone lines before so that you & G-Whiz could connect to here at the same time?
 Do you now have the computers networked together to share the cable?

The reason I ask, I hope to get a new computer(we re getting a Dell dude!), and I want to still be able to surf the internet on the old one, and also to share the one printer.

None of my computer geek friends have done a home networksystem before.

Cottonwooder

gsm x2
QuoteI wish we would have gotten high speed service a long time ago now. I can t believe how much better it is.

I have just submitted our order for Yahoo SBC DSL service.  Next Friday is the activation date.  Can t wait to be " always online" , as I jump on and off throughout the day so much anyway.  [:)]

Cottonwooder

g-whiz
QuoteI m going to turn this page if it kills me!

Yup, it was way more fun wondering when a page would flip.  In this case, knowledge ain t power, it s boring. [>:]

gsm x2

6Quigs
QuoteDid you guys have 2 phone lines before so that you & G-Whiz could connect to here at the same time?
 Do you now have the computers networked together to share the cable?

The reason I ask, I hope to get a new computer(we re getting a Dell dude!), and I want to still be able to surf the internet on the old one, and also to share the one printer.

Kevin,

Prior to the cable, we were running two computers that were not networked using two telephone lines. Georgeanne was running WindowsXP and I was running Windows98.  We each had a printer on our computers and a few other goodies.

When we decided to upgrade, I reformatted a hard drive and installed WindowsXP upgrade edition on my computer under the belief that they network would be more stable if both computers had the same OS.

We put D-Link cards in each computer and hooked it to a D-Link router.  Everything checked out good and we can now get to each other s hard drive that has data, plus a few other drives.  We haven t set up to share printers because each computer has a virtually identical printer attached to it.

Cable guy came.  Installed their modem to our network.  Took about 25 minutes and it all works great.

With WindowsXP it all went smoothly. Only glitch was my fault.  Took me a little while to get computers to recognize each other because Norton s Internet Security was running on both computers and was " on the job"  protecting them.  Once I realized that and disabled the program, everything worked perfectly.

Good luck and congrats on the new computer.  It will be down the road a bit, but that will be our next purchase. For now, this has made a world of difference.

gsm x2

gsm x2

Cottonwooder
QuoteI have just submitted our order for Yahoo SBC DSL service. Next Friday is the activation date. Can t wait to be " always online" , as I jump on and off throughout the day so much anyway.  

I think that you will love it.  Congratulations.

gsm x2

6Quigs

g-whizThanks Scott,
 I m sure I ll be picking your brain in 7 days when we meet for hugs at Snug on what type of router, cabling, ... and a few more questions.

Glad I m off to Tahoe ski-ing this weekend, and not camping, as it s supposed to pour rain.

gsm x2

g-whizI discovered a way to speed up reading the boards---especially useful for dialup connections.

When reading a thread, you ll see PRINTABLE VERSION right under your sign-in name.  If you click on it, it will bring up a scaled down version of the thread, but you can still see the [;)][:@][&:][: (][:o] icons in the message.

The best part is that at the bottom of the page, the page numbers are still active links so you can use thme to go to the next page.

I thought it was kewl enough that I even posted it in the Campfire.

gsm x2