RE: FALLing Turkeys Rally - Nov. 21 - 23, 03

Started by otter, Sep 24, 2003, 11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red neff Barchetta

Well, November is fast approaching with nary a mention of a rally.
 So let s go to Casini Ranch Family Campground in Duncans Mills;
 http://www.casiniranch.com
 We really like this location because it is 3 miles from the ocean and shielded from the wind with a lot of things to do in the area.  You can go wine tasting or go to the ocean (lounging, walking/hiking/exploring, fishing, whale watching, tide-pooling, playing, kite flying, etc...).  You can check out the seals where the russian river meets the ocean.  There are some terrific restaurants for lunch.  There is Fort Ross (" The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming!" ).  There is a giant redwood grove that is wonderful to stroll through.  Etc...

I ve secured 14 sites with water, electric, and cable.  *No sewer hook-up s in these sites, so bring your grey water tote.
 They are sites 62 through 67 and 90 through 98.
 *including 65 and 65B.  **excluding 91 and 95 which are tent sites that I have been assured will not be reserved for our w/e (I ll stay on top of this btw);
 http://www.casiniranch.com/Camp_Site_Map/camp_site_map.html
 I chose these because they make a mini community as opposed to the river front sites which are all lined up.  I figured we wouldn t like those because site 2 for example wouldn t see site 20D much.  Also, this will give parents a little relief from worrying about being so close to the river.

No deposit is required from any Cougher s.  They will hold a post-dated check from me for $392.00 (14 x $28.00) as a deposit.  Upon arrival, they will return my check and I will just pay for 2 or 3 nights (don t know yet) for my site.  As you arrive, you will simply pay for the number of nights staying.  Just tell them you are with the group.

I would however like to know who is coming like we normally do by posting here so I can release the unused sites 2 weeks before the rally so they don t charge me a night for each unused site.

We have all of these sites as a group and you can pick one as you arrive or choose one from the site map and tell me which specific site you want in advance.  Either way works fine.

The nightly rate is $28.00 for each site.  They were adamant about not giving a group discount on the w/e s.  Guess their business is booming.  There should not be any grief for x number of kids as I took care of that for compensation for not getting a deal for the group.
 Other than not budging on a group rate, they are excited we are coming.

Directions;

From Santa Rosa I would take the River Rd. exit off of Hwy. 101 and head west (over 101) on River Rd..  In Guerneville (there is a Safeway here), River Rd. becomes Hwy. 116.  Continue on Hwy. 116 (west) to Duncans Mills.  This is the easiest (especially for towing) route from Santa Rosa.

From Marin county &/or Petaluma (Sonoma county) take Hwy. 101 north to Cotati.  From Cotati I would take Hwy. 116 to Sebastopol (there is a Safeway here) and then turn right onto Bodega Hwy..  This will take you through the town of Bodega (where " The Birds"  was filmed) where it will end at Hwy. 1.  Turn right (north) on to Hwy. 1 (through Bodega Bay) to Hwy. 116.  Turn right on to Hwy. 116.  Continue on Hwy. 116 (east) to Duncans Mills.  This is the easiest (especially for towing) route from Cotati.  **If Hwy. 101 is moving along nicely as you approach Cotati then you might consider continuing on Hwy. 101 to Santa Rosa and then heading west on Hwy. 12 towards Sebastopol.  Hwy 12 in Sebastopol turns into Bodega Hwy..

Btw, the " Conspiracy Rally"  was considered for this rally since it falls on 11/22 and JFK attended a few wild w/e s at The Bohemian Club s annual rich men s event in nearby Bohemian Grove.  Instead though, the " FALLing Turkeys Rally"  was chosen since it is the w/e before Thanksgiving and turkeys around the country are all enjoying their last meals.

Again, don t forget your Grey water tote.

Attending turkeys;
 Clueless in Sacremento arriving on Friday
 RTurner arriving on Friday
 Otter arriving on Thursday
 Red neff Barchetta arriving on Friday (hoping to change to Thursday)

Probable turkeys;
 CA-Girl
 PCMom
 Nick/Hunter s Mom
 SactoCampers
 Surfcal (Cough)

Fallen turkeys;
 6Quigs
 SCCS

Hiding turkeys;
 Everyone else

Come on Cougher s!  Join us!!

otter

Red neff BarchettaSounds good to me!  Lon will still be in Spain, but I think it is within my driving range.  Keep us informed!

Red neff Barchetta

Red neff BarchettaDianne -
 We are so glad you can make it!
 Amy says to tell you that she won t be leaving Santa Rosa until 1:00 or 2:00 to head out to Duncans Mills (about a 40 minute drive) on Friday, 11/21.  So if you d like to follow her out from here just let her know.  We don t want you getting lost again (ala Snug Harbor) until 8:00 at night!
 Btw, I ll be at Casini Ranch Friday morning with the kids.

Tell Lon that we ll miss him.

Also, don t forget about our back-up NNC/Yahoo site when PUT is down.  I don t think you dropped in last week while we were all hanging out there;
 http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Nick-Neff-Cough/

Red neff BarchettaNeff:

I am with you man, if things aren t so busy or if I am not traveling.

Surfcal

Red neff Barchetta

Red neff BarchettaRay/Surfcal/Cough -
 Excellent!
 " Make it so"   You are after all the man that calls the shots.  Give yourself a well deserved 3-day w/e.

Red neff Barchetta

Red neff BarchettaHere s another falling turkey connection I just remembered;
 Didn t Les Nessman on " WKRP in Cincinatti"  drop turkeys from a helicopter down on Cincinatti for Thanksgiving on an episode?
 I think the guy that played Les  boss (he was also one of the Maytag repair men) died yesterday too.  Weird stuff(ing) huh?

SactoCampers

Red neff BarchettaI ll check with the CEO on this one and get back to you!

Nick

Red neff BarchettaWe should be able to make this one.

pcmom

Red neff BarchettaThanks for setting this rally up!!!  So how far from Santa Rosa is Casini Ranch?  We might be able to make it.  I need to check our (kids) schedules.[:D]

Red neff Barchetta

Red neff BarchettaMichelle -
 Duncans Mills (where Casini Ranch is located) is about 35 - 40 minutes from Santa Rosa.  Simply because River Rd./Hwy 116 winds along with the Russian River past wineries and through a few small towns.
 Hope you can make it!  Nick & Sacto too!

SactoCampers

Red neff Barchetta

QuoteORIGINAL:  Red neff Barchetta

Michelle -
 Duncans Mills (where Casini Ranch is located) is about 35 - 40 minutes from Santa Rosa.  Simply because River Rd./Hwy 116 winds along with the Russian River past wineries and through a few small towns.
 Hope you can make it!  Nick & Sacto too!

Hey Jeff,

Is it faster to take 116 directly from 101 or to go as we would to Bodega and just take 1 up until the 116/1 interchange? Is 116 winding?

Red neff Barchetta

Red neff BarchettaBrian -
 Hwy. 1 from Bodega to Duncans Mills is very windy with a lot of switchbacks, but does have the view of the ocean out the drivers window.  Coming from Marin county I think I would take Hwy. 116 in Cotati through Sebastopol and then onto Bodega.

If there wasn t any traffic on Hwy. 101 (yeah right) then I would continue through Cotati/Rohnert Park to the northern most part of Santa Rosa and take the River Rd. exit up and over Hwy. 101.  If you could get through Santa Rosa before 3:30 - 4:00 then traffic shouldn t be " too"  bad.

Either way you get a nice scenic drive for the final 20 or so miles into Duncans Mills.

SactoCampers

Red neff Barchetta
QuoteHwy. 1 from Bodega to Duncans Mills is very windy with a lot of switchbacks, but does have the view of the ocean out the drivers window. Coming from Marin county I think I would take Hwy. 116 in Cotati through Sebastopol and then onto Bodega.

It s not that bad. We ve done it many times...remember, I ve scoped out Casini Ranch myself...twice. We ve also driven east on 116 for several miles and as you note it s a nice drive.

QuoteIf there wasn t any traffic on Hwy. 101 (yeah right) then I would continue through Cotati/Rohnert Park to the northern most part of Santa Rosa and take the River Rd. exit up and over Hwy. 101. If you could get through Santa Rosa before 3:30 - 4:00 then traffic shouldn t be " too"  bad.

If we came to this rally, we d probably leave in the early afternoon just in time for rush hour. So my hunch is we would go through Bodega to avoid being on 101 for very long. All of the little ants are marching back to Sonoma County....red and black antenna waving.

Red neff Barchetta
QuoteAlso, don t forget about our back-up NNC/Yahoo site when PUT is down. I don t think you dropped in last week while we were all hanging out there;

You are right; I have never figured out the yahoo site.  I might try it again just for future reference.
 You didn t see me around for the last 2 weeks because we were tooting around the southwest, Zion, chimney Rock,hama, Laguna...all the high spots.

What I would relly like to do in Nov is come during the day on Thursday if anyone is interested in that idea.  Traffic is light and I d have lots of time to set up.  I m looking for someone to come along with me and Sadie.  A newbie to terrorize.
 Thank Amy for the offer, but I hope to kicked back by Friday at 4.  
 It has been a long time since Madonna.  We have probably logged 4000 miles on the popup since then.  I think I have slept outside more than inside a house this summer.  
 What s this movement to the  hard  side within the group.  First it was that southern group peeling off, now it is the hardsiders. What will they think of next?

hugs

otter

Red neff Barchettaoooops;  but you knew who that masked sea mammal was!

I can t fool you guys.