SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Hanging by a thread...

Started by Surfcal, Oct 20, 2003, 08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6Quigs

The half-hearted replies everyone answered, disappointed Scott

Surfcal

I feel that many of you take thread for granted and for the most part, diss it.  So, here is today's lesson on thread.

Fabrics are made from threads. Thread is made of such fibers as cotton, flax, wool, silk, or other textile material. There are literally 20,000 years of history.

The earliest textiles may have been were nets, which were used for fishing, produced from one thread and employing a single repeated movement to form loops, and basketry, the interlacing of flexible reeds, cane, or other suitable materials. The production of nets, also called limited thread work, has been practiced by many peoples, particularly in Africa and Peru. Later rope was developed to catch deer by the antlers.

Examples of prehistoric textiles are extremely rare because of the perishability of fabrics. The dry, dark and sterile sands of the desert have provided some of the best conditions for the survival of textile items. One of the reasons why we will be looking at the textiles of Egypt is because so many of the textiles that have survived so many years is because they were protect by the dry conditions. South America also has the same conditions in Peru. There the climate is very dry especially at the higher elevations in the dry coastal areas of northern Peru.

Not only does dryness preserve textiles, but low temperatures proves to be a means of conservation. Mongolia and the Central Asian Steppes have uncovered important textile finds that date back to the 5th Century BC.

In the peat bogs of Scandinavia many textiles have been recovered. The interesting thing about the peat bogs is that entire garments have been discovered thus allowing researchers to examine how the clothing was made and worn.

Flax was the commonest ancient plant fiber. Hemp, rush, palm and papyrus were also used. Papyrus requires a good water supply and settled communities for its cultivation. Seeds of domesticated flax found with spindle whorls together on the same site are indicative of textile activity. These have been found in Syria in Ramad (6000 BC)., Samarran villages in northern Iraq (at Tel-es-Sawan and Choga Mami) (5000 BC).

The domestication of sheep, goats and dogs dates from 9000 BC in the uplands of Zam Chem Shanidar from 7000 BC at Jarmo in the Zagros Mountains of north west Iran, and Palestine (Israel) and south Turkey from the 7000 to 6,000 BC. Sheep rearing became major industry in Sumeria between 3,500 to 3,000 BC, by which time both hairy and wooly sheep were known.

Ur's principal export became wool and the Law of Hammurabi (1,800 BC) lists wool as an export from Babylon.

Sheep were also kept at Bougras in Syria from 6,000 BC and in Jordan and Palestine (Israel) from 3,000 BC often simultaneously with flax cultivation in mixed farming economies, and by pastoral nomads, including the Old Testament Jewish tribes, whose sheep provided wool for tents from time immemorial.

The title of "earliest textile" has recently shifted from Egypt to Anatolia (modern day Turkey), with Egypt and Israel close contenders. James Mallet's dig at the Neolithic village of Catal Huyuk in southern Turkey dating from 6,000 BC, exposed fine-spun and plied-thread, plain weave tabby cloths and garments, some of the tabby designs showing signs of being darned.

A burial couch found at Gordion in ancient Phrygia and dated to 8,000 BC was covered by some twenty layers of linen and wool cloth, together with traces of Tyrian purple cloth and fragments of hemp and mohair.

Israeli excavations reveal that the deserts of Israel provide ideal conditions for the preservation of fibers. Finds from the Neolithic Hemal Cave in the Judean desert dating from 7160 to 6150 BC including rope, netting matting, spun and plied thread, chiefly flax, and tabby woven cloth, including a blue-dyed textile with shell and bead decoration.

Textiles found in Israel obey the Jewish Law (Shaatnez), prohibiting the mixing of animal and vegetable fibers, but otherwise are similar to textiles elsewhere. In the Cave of Letters, 132 BC-AD 35, indigo-and purple -dyed yarns, white wool tent yarn, plain and striped tabbies, garments and linen scroll-wrappers were found. At the Masada, destroyed by the Romans in AD 273, the baskets and mats of the Zealots who died there were preserved with household cloths, tapestry, clothing and sandals.

Hybrid Holly

Quote from: SurfcalI feel that many of you take thread for granted and for the most part, diss it.  So, here is today's lesson on thread.

And just what type of THREADS are you wearing on this fine Halloween day Ray?

gsm x2

Quote from: SurfcalI feel that many of you take thread for granted and for the most part, diss it.  So, here is today's lesson on thread.
QuoteI found this fascinating and can't wait until tomorrow's lesson on thread.

gsm x2

Surfcal

Quote from: gsm x2
QuoteI found this fascinating and can't wait until tomorrow's lesson on thread.

gsm x2

Scott, I think you are being facetious.  I warned you, don't be dissing thread.  If threads didn't exist, you'd be busting at the seams and we'd all look like Bee Cee's "Full Monty."

Surfcal

P.S.  Blankets made of thousands of threads found here:  
http://www.stores.ebay.com/store=2818640

6Quigs

Quote from: SurfcalI feel that many of you take thread for granted and for the most part, diss it.  
QUOTE]
Guilty,
and what's more,
I even dissed this posting on the history of Thread :eek:

gsm x2

Quote from: SurfcalScott, I think you are being facetious.  I warned you, don't be dissing thread.  If threads didn't exist, you'd be busting at the seams and we'd all look like Bee Cee's "Full Monty."

Surfcal

P.S.  Blankets made of thousands of threads found here:  
http://www.stores.ebay.com/store=2818640

Not facetious at all.

In Darwin's world, a species adapts by retaining what it needs to survive and disposing of that which it doesn't.  So without THREADS, we'd have a lot of hairy-breasted women running around.  Not that we men wouldn't be attracted to our hairy-breasted women, after all, without threads, frolicking in the follicles would help keep us warm.

Praise the threads and don't put sweaters on your puppies or they may just adapt and take over the world.

gsm x2

Surfcal

Quote from: 6Quigs
Quote from: SurfcalI feel that many of you take thread for granted and for the most part, diss it.  
QUOTE]
Guilty,
and what's more,
I even dissed this posting on the history of Thread :eek:

Kevin,

Without thread, think of all the plumbers that would be out of work.  So you better start respecting thread.

Surfcal

6Quigs

Quote from: SurfcalKevin,

So you better start respecting thread.

Surfcal

SCREW THE THREAD!!

Plumbers can do just fine without the thread.
Think of all the other methods of joining pipes.
Welding,
Brazing,
Soldering,
Flanged,
Victaulic,
Solvent Welded,
Fusion,
Compression,
Caulked,
Flared Joints.

Whoops,
better delete Flanged and compression cuz they use threads.
Damm those threads,
They get everywhere!!

Surfcal

6Quigs...

You should love threads, look how many you have started.  You are such a hypocrit.  You say you diss threads and yet you start them.

Surfcal

Red neff Barchetta

Quoted from GSMx2;
"Praise the threads and don't put sweaters on your puppies"

LOL!  Who started that fad anyway?  My grandma used to do that and my grandpa refused to take the dog for a walk.  Poor dogs.  I wonder what they'd like to dress up their owners in?

(sorry, but I haven't figured out (& I'm not going to either!) how to quote a quote on this silly new forum)

Surfcal

Quote from: Red neff BarchettaQuoted from GSMx2;
"Praise the threads and don't put sweaters on your puppies"

LOL!  Who started that fad anyway?  My grandma used to do that and my grandpa refused to take the dog for a walk.  Poor dogs.  I wonder what they'd like to dress up their owners in?

(sorry, but I haven't figured out (& I'm not going to either!) how to quote a quote on this silly new forum)

Thread answer to your question...

Just hit the REPLY button on the lower right of the person's panel of who you're responding to.

Surfcal

Red neff Barchetta

Quote from: SurfcalThread answer to your question...

Just hit the REPLY button on the lower right of the person's panel of who you're responding to.

Surfcal
Cool!!

Red neff Barchetta

Quote from: Red neff BarchettaCool!!
I can even reply to myself.

Red neff Barchetta

Quote from: Red neff BarchettaI can even reply to myself.
This is like watching a picture of a television inside of a television inside of a television, etc...