No Name Rally (Olema) February 17 - 20, 2005

Started by Nick, Jul 08, 2004, 05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OC Campers

Joan, I am not sure what you mean by continuing the potluck.  Are you talking about eating all day or all night?  We are definately in for the morning potluck.  I think I will bring my camp donuts.  Saturday potluck how about Dutch oven lasagna.  We won't be going on the hike either.  At first I thought I could do it but if it is 10 miles each way you may have to send a helicopter to get me out.

Jacqui

Nick

Sorry my mistake.  Its 10-12 miles round trip.

6Quigs

Quote from: NickSorry my mistake.  Its 10-12 miles round trip.

I'm still confused. Is it

(a) 10 miles round trip?
(b) 12 miles round trip?
(c)  11 miles round trip with 11 being the average of the two?
(d) 10 minus 12, which is minus 2 miles??
(e) 10 miles there and 12 miles back? ;) ;)

Whatever the answer, it is still a bit too long for our younger kids, so we will not be hiking on Saturday.
We are still on for a potluck breakfast on Saturday morning, as well as the wine tasting with appertizers that afternoon, followed by a potluck. We will more than likely be cooking something that is kid friendly, as well as something non-cippino for the adults, like garlic bread.

champ521

Knowing that not everyone likes seafood, DW will be making a pot of bbq beans for the potluck while Ray and I will be gloating after all the wonderful compliments we get for our award winning cioppino! :!

SCCS

Since the chef's will be making their prize award winning cioppino, :U  we will be making something that the kids will enjoy a little more. :#  Not sure what it will be yet.

I think my son and I will be up for the hike, but will have to see what the weather is like on that day.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again, hope the weather is good for that weekend.

gsm x2

Nick...I think you made a typo. The 0.8 tide is at 6:15 coming down from a 5.1 tide at 11:50.

That means that the tide would be about 3.0 feet at 3:00 p.m.  Does that work for the hike?

Scott

Calstate361

Jacqui,

Of course we can eat all day....but that is not what I was talking about.  I can't remember where I read it, in this thread or the Chapinno Cookoff thread, but it was mentioned, by I think Nick/Mike, to cancel the pot-luck because of how long it will take to do the hike.   That's why I offered to simi-coordinate it for Nick/Mike since he will be on the hike and I was sure there would still be a few of us that didn't go on the hike.

This is cool, getting somewhat of a list of what people will be brining for both breakfast and dinner on Saturday.

Joan

Surfcal

Okay Joan,

I'll brine something.  I just have to figure out what carcass would be best.

Surfcal

zymomyz

Quote...Chapinno...

Is what Dave and Ray will be making,...  :D

QuoteThat means that the tide would be about 3.0 feet at 3:00 p.m. Does that work for the hike?

I think it means you'll have to pack your diving gear to explore the caves  :D

Nick

Quote from: gsm x2Nick...I think you made a typo. The 0.8 tide is at 6:15 coming down from a 5.1 tide at 11:50.

That means that the tide would be about 3.0 feet at 3:00 p.m. Does that work for the hike?

Scott
We have to be at the caves just before the lowest point and out just after.  You have to go around a point to get to the caves and its inpassable if the tide is too high.

I got my info from the NOAA website and realized it was the 2004 schedule.  So we can do the hike but would have to be up at dark thirty.

Nick

Quote from: Calstate361Jacqui,

Of course we can eat all day....but that is not what I was talking about. I can't remember where I read it, in this thread or the Chapinno Cookoff thread, but it was mentioned, by I think Nick/Mike, to cancel the pot-luck because of how long it will take to do the hike. That's why I offered to simi-coordinate it for Nick/Mike since he will be on the hike and I was sure there would still be a few of us that didn't go on the hike.

This is cool, getting somewhat of a list of what people will be brining for both breakfast and dinner on Saturday.

Joan
Joan,
No plans to cancel the potluck.  I was saying the hike might not be possible cause the low tide was too late now it looks like the low tide is way early.

mustang

Mike/Nick,

Please count all four Mustangs in on the hike.  The kids have done trails this long, and usually leave me in the dust.  Hiking is our favorite family camping activity.  We're not too worried about the tides or planning for the potluck.  Whatever happens, happens!

Thanks for all your rally organizing!

PS - Are you hiking out of the Bear Valley Visitor Center?  I've done several trails from there and was just wondering which ones you like taking.

Nick

Quote from: mustangMike/Nick,

Please count all four Mustangs in on the hike. The kids have done trails this long, and usually leave me in the dust. Hiking is our favorite family camping activity. We're not too worried about the tides or planning for the potluck. Whatever happens, happens!

Thanks for all your rally organizing!

PS - Are you hiking out of the Bear Valley Visitor Center? I've done several trails from there and was just wondering which ones you like taking.
Its the trail to Goat Rock (I think thats what its called) but you veer off to the right befor you acutally get to the rock.

Surfcal

Bring your GPS units.  Nick will provide coordinates.  Also, we're doing a GPS game for the kids, teams of but it requires you to have GPS.  It'll be a campground version of geocaching.  If you haven't done the game, you can see what it's all about at www.geocaching.com.

Should be fun for all.

Surfcal

towrod

If it is ~6 miles in along the beach and we need to be at the caves at low tide the hike seems problematic. :(
Tides for Point Reyes starting with February 25, 2005.
Day      
Friday   25      Low   5:24 AM     2.0; High  11:07 AM  5.4;  
                     Low   5:41 PM     0.4

Sa  26     High  12:09 AM     5.2; Low   6:02 AM  1.7;  
           High  11:49 AM     5.1;   Low   6:08 PM     0.8

Su  27     High  12:34 AM     5.4;  Low   6:43 AM 1.4  
             High  12:36 PM     4.7;   Low   6:38 PM     1.4