News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

HalfDome Hyjinx III

Started by calstate360, Aug 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calstate360

Quote from: pismosurfersHow warm is Yosemite in August? We have never been to Yosemite, but my parents tell me it's a great place to visit/camp. We would love to join you, but our popup does not have A/C! What's been your experience?
The elevation is 3,600 ft. But you can't go by that as we have had temps from the 90s during the day to 40s at night to 50s day and night. Bring a good fan a heater and some water misters if you have them. It is cooler in the Valley.
You can always hide out at the Lake , Clubhouse or in the Valley if it becomes too hot. They have redesigned the website so the info is now here.
http://www.thousandtrails.com/site/page/pg3487-as18.html
When it gets closer I will post the projected weather report for the week.
I would not worry too much we have not lost anyone yet.:) Sal

oldmoose

We have had a family house in Twain Harte about an hour from here. Our elevation is 4000'. During August high 80's to 90's is not unusual. I used to do summer theatre in Columbia SP which is about 1100' and 90's to low 100's is not unusual. I like the idea about misters.

I also worked in the Yosemite high country during college. I prefer the high country to the valley, but if you've never been to the valley, it's a must. I qualify for a Golden Eagle pass this year.

Have a great weekend,
Moose

6Quigs

We have camped at Yosemite without Air Conditioning in our Popup, and it was not an issue.
Definetly bring your fans, and solar covers for the bunk ends.
It always cools down at night, so sleeping was not a problem.
Even though we have Air Conditioning in our hybrid, I did not spend much time inside last year, spent most of the time outside playing, or taking the kids to the swimming hole to cool off.
I was not aware of many mosquitios either.

pismosurfers

Thanks for all of your input about the weather!  After talking with DH, it sounds like a go for us. Our two DS will be flying back from BSA Jamboree in Virginia later that week, so we'd have to drive up on Friday morning and head home on Sunday.  So, go ahead and sign us up Sal.  If something comes up, we'll let you know in advance.  Thanks again!  
P.S. We look forward to meeting many of you at the Pismo Rally!

griffsmom

Just curious (okay, maybe just afraid...)

Has this TT Preserve had any problems with bears?  I've heard a lot about bear problems in Yosemite, but I'm wondering if the potential is less with camping in this preserve since it's a private park?

Calstate361

Lori,

Nope, as far as we know they have never had a problem.  They don't even have the bear-proof garbage cans (HA!) and storage lockers like they do in the valley.    We have been going there for 5-6 years now and have never had a problem.  

Joan

griffsmom

Quote from: Calstate361Lori,

Nope, as far as we know they have never had a problem. They don't even have the bear-proof garbage cans (HA!) and storage lockers like they do in the valley. We have been going there for 5-6 years now and have never had a problem.

Joan
Thanks for the info Joan. :) Now I can stop worrying about whether it's safe to brush our teeth in the camper.

Dee4j

Quote from: griffsmomThanks for the info Joan. :) Now I can stop worrying about whether it's safe to brush our teeth in the camper.

with some of the heavy sleepers in our group it might SOUND like bears are in camp...not naming names  :p

oldmoose

Paula reminded me that once again, we'll be camping on our anniversary-#39 on Aug 6. What fun, I get make my own anniversary cake.

Moose

Calstate361

Moose,

All the more reason to party.   My birthday is the 7th and last year they had a big surprise for me.  Embarrased me to death but it was all fun.

Joan

Petrina

This sounds like a fun trip.   Sign us up for the 5th-7th
Four kids  :tent:
One Adult  :
Rig is 11 Feet closed
Fleete wood -Sea Pine.

calstate360

Quote from: PetrinaThis sounds like a fun trip. Sign us up for the 5th-7th
Four kids :tent:
One Adult :
Rig is 11 Feet closed
Fleete wood -Sea Pine.
You have been added.:)  Welcome to Yosemite!

Note for everyone: the person that we deal with on this
will not be available until sometime in May when the park opens for the year.
Until we hear from him we will not know the cost of the deposit, or when they will have to have them. As soon as we know we will post the info.
Sal

OC Campers

Sal and Joan

Could you post a list of who wants to attend?  Inquiring minds (nosey minds)
want to know:D .

Jacqui

P.S.  We may have 2 additional kids attending-my neice and nephew.  I think we might need to pitch a tent on our site too, is this alright?  Too many kids in too small a space

calstate360

Quote from: OC CampersSal and Joan

Could you post a list of who wants to attend? Inquiring minds (nosey minds)
want to know:D .

Jacqui

P.S. We may have 2 additional kids attending-my neice and nephew. I think we might need to pitch a tent on our site too, is this alright? Too many kids in too small a space
You are allowed one tent on your site in addition to your trailer, just dont park next to me.:) I have seen 4 tents on one site but they had no trailer and were all confined to the site. I'll post a list when I wake up in the morning.
Sal

OC Campers

Awe come on Sal. You don't want to be woken up to sounds of screaming, laughing and crying? Should be interesting to say the least. My older 2 will be at their Aunt and Uncles for 2 weeks and then we get the neice and nephew for 2 weeks. I am sure the kids will be at each others throats.:( :D

Jacqui