News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

HalfDome Hyjinx III

Started by calstate360, Aug 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calstate361

Hey CWB, Larry, glad to see you lurking around.  Haven't heard from you in quite a while.  Wish you could make it to this rally, we have missed you.

Joan

Nick

Quote from: Civil_War_BuffIf you don't want to make your own, try http://www.popupgizmos.com/
His are the ones that most folks here use.

I was in Columbia myself this past week, and I enjoyed that it had cooled down a little this year. Did you get to the Parade?

I have several pictures on my webshots page if you missed it.

Holy Cow he is alive!  :)   Hope you're doing well Larry.  You gotta come camping with us soon.

Petrina

Ok, I have my gizmo ordered.  Any good ideas on fans for inside the trailer?  I have two fans that came with the pop up but they don't do a thing.  What type of fan would be good?  Do they sell small portable ac?  $900.00 is to steep for me to put in a ac this season.  

Thanks , from trying to keep cool PJ

Dee4j

Quote from: PetrinaOk, I have my gizmo ordered.  Any good ideas on fans for inside the trailer?  I have two fans that came with the pop up but they don't do a thing.  What type of fan would be good?  Do they sell small portable ac?  $900.00 is to steep for me to put in a ac this season.  

How many people can fit in Dee's trailer????

Calstate361

Patrina,

When we first had our PU we didn't have AC and took a trip to Montana.  It was seriously hot an humid.  We went to Billings (to Wally World) and purchased a stand up fan.   It worked well and we could put it outside also.  You could do that.  Sal said he saw one that could be used on a table top or as a stand, at OSCH (sp? Orchard Supply).   Since we will have full hook-up you won't need to worry about power, however adding extra stuff might blow the circuit in the PU so Sal always brings a heavy duty extension cord to plug directly into the power box and run the cord through the bunk end.   Sal also brings a Y adapter for the water hook up so he can hook up the water to one side and either leave the other open, so I can get the dogs water, or hooks up another hose to use for something else.  Last year, at this rally, he ran a line of misters around the awning.  It sure cooled the area down.  It was almost too much because we got a little wet.  I don't know if you can still find them any more, but we also had a single/individual one that was not as strong.  It was curvey shaped and you hooked the hose directly on to it.  Now if you want to spend $50+ you can purchase a mister fan.  That way you can use it outside during the day and inside, without the water, at night.   It does cool down there at night so you might not need it at night.  Last year it did get into the 90's so the days are warm, but cooled down to the 50s at night.  There is a swimming hole and a creek/small river running through the campground that you can use, and the clubhouses have AC.  You can do what ever you feel comfortable with.

Joan

Calstate361

Here is the final Attendee list:

Dee4j
OC Campers
Boncarb
Gwenzilla
Towrod & Kevin Houchin
Azusateach
Darcamps & the Ferris Family
Russinator
Griffsmom
Old Moose
Patrina
Joan's Friends, the McDowell's and her sister the Bagard's
Chelsies Dad & their Son
Calstates

Now is the time to start the un-lists for Saturday's Breakfast and Dinner/pot-luck. Please post what you will bring. Remember this place is outside a very small town and the nearest civilizaton is about 1-1/2 hr. drive back down Priest Grade! So, plan well. There is a small store at the top of the hill where you turn into the preserve, but they don't carry much and they are expensive.

I think I will bring some fresh melons for breakfast and a large tossed green salad for the pot-luck.

I tell people this every year that there is a very nice fruit stand (one of the first) just outside Manteca at the corner, right side and at a light, of Hwy. 120 (the road you will be on) and Jack Towne Road. They have a nice large parking area so there is no problem with parking. They have a nice selection of fruits and vegetables, olives, chutneys, salsas, dried fruits, nuts, some candy, etc. We stop there both going and coming home. I will probably pick up the melons there. There are other fruit stands along the way, but the parking is not as good and they don't have the selection this one does.

Then going through Oakdale where 120 turns left, at the turn is a small park, on the right side, by the Hershey's Chocolate Factory. It would be a good place to let the kids out for a bit and to stretch the legs.

Manteca (edited..ooops, it's Oakdale) is about the last place to get cheaper gas. Just before you hit the end of town there is an ARCO on the right side, at a light, across from a small Mall. We usually gas up there on the way back.

If anyone has any other questions, please ask.

Joan

Petrina

Joan:

I bought the v hook up for the hose, two misters, and a extra spout.  Where did you see the fan/mister.  I thought I saw one at coscto but I am not sure.  Thank you for the tips on the fruit stand and gas.  

Keep Cool Petrina

towrod

If you want a mister but have trouble finding them in a local store here is a link to an online merchant with a large selection.

http://www.mistymate.com/index.html

oldmoose

Quote from: PetrinaOk, I have my gizmo ordered. Any good ideas on fans for inside the trailer? I have two fans that came with the pop up but they don't do a thing. What type of fan would be good? Do they sell small portable ac? $900.00 is to steep for me to put in a ac this season.

We have the Fantastic Fan and we love it. It puts out a lot of air. I'll be going to the Kern River area tomorrow and it's expected to be between 98 and 107. It'll only get down to the low 60's in the early morning hours so will be using the fan. One reason I like it is that when we're dry camping, it uses very little juice.

Moose

oldmoose

FYI, it's Oakdale not Oakhurst. We have a house in Twain Harte and we drove through Manteca and Escalon and Oakdale so many times I have all the curves memorized.

I may lead the SoCal group a different way. When we go to Twain Harte, I take J59 out of Merced and end up on 108 before the Yosemite turn off. There is another way that may allow us to miss 108. I'll call TT to get their opinion.
Moose

Petrina

OldMoose:

What is the name or size of the fan  you have.  Is it a table top? or is it both table top and floor standing?

calstate360

Quote from: Calstate361Now is the time to start the un-lists for Saturday's Breakfast and Dinner/pot-luck. Please post what you will bring. Remember this place is outside a very small town and the nearest civilizaton is about 1-1/2 hr. drive back down Priest Grade! So, plan well. There is a small store at the top of the hill where you turn into the preserve, but they don't carry much and they are expensive.
Manteca is about the last place to get cheaper gas. Just before you hit the end of town there is an ARCO on the right side, at a light, across from a small Mall. We usually gas up there on the way back.

I tell people this every year that there is a very nice fruit stand (one of the first) just outside Manteca at the corner, right side and at a light, of Hwy. 120 (the road you will be on) and Jack Towne Road. They have a nice large parking area so there is no problem with parking. They have a nice selection of fruits and vegetables, olives, chutneys, salsas, dried fruits, nuts, some candy, etc. We stop there both going and coming home. I will probably pick up the melons there. There are other fruit stands along the way, but the parking is not as good and they don't have the selection this one does.

Then going through Oakhurst where 120 turns left, at the turn is a small park, on the right side, by the Hershey's Chocolate Factory. It would be a good place to let the kids out for a bit and to stretch the legs.

If anyone has any other questions, please ask.

Joan
Oakdale is where you want to gas up, it's the last place for cheaper gas before you get to the park.
As far as the pot luck Joan and I were both raised to let people know what you are bringing, that is especially true for this campout. You aren't going to make a quick trip down the road to the local Safeway. It's a three hour round trip including going down and back up Priest Grade again! Besides we are the hosts and this is the way we do it!!
Don't let Priest Grade worry you, there are lots bigger rigs take it than we have. Besides we make it and I travel overloaded. Make sure all your fluids are Full!!! If anyone is afraid of heights don't let them sit on the passenger side.
I will be posting directions later today when I get done with some concrete work.
Sal

calstate360

Quote from: PetrinaJoan:

I bought the v hook up for the hose, two misters, and a extra spout. Where did you see the fan/mister. I thought I saw one at coscto but I am not sure. Thank you for the tips on the fruit stand and gas.

Keep Cool Petrina
A Fantastic Fan mounts where the AC does in the roof, so if you plan on adding AC it is a waste of money. They do work great though we have one in our popup. The stand fan I saw at OSH so Sears should have it also.
The mister fan I saw on the web someplace and don't remember where?
Sal

Calstate361

As for the mister that went around the awning, Sal got it at Home Depot last year.  It is the kind that goes around your patio.  Then you have to figure out how to hang it.  You can use those S hooks or Sal used some plastic clips (like laundry clothespins) and attached a plastic tie to the clip to run the mister hose through.

Do we start the countdown yet?    I can't wait.

19 days for us & Chelsie's Dad
20+ days for others

Joan

Azusateach

I know how I'd get into Yosemite from the south, but I'd sure like some tips on how to get up to the Preserve.  I've come down that grade once in a motorhome & would love to avoid that if possible, especially coming down.  I don't mind travelling a bit longer if necessary.  Thanks!

Laura