News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

HalfDome Hyjinx III

Started by calstate360, Aug 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee4j

Quote from: Calstate361Remember this place is outside a very small town and the nearest civilizaton is about 1-1/2 hr. drive back down Priest Grade!

I think I will bring some fresh melons for breakfast and a large tossed green salad for the pot-luck.

Joan

:yikes: I guess I better make sure I have an XL cooler of beer

for Potluck Sat I'll make breakfast burritos (this will make Lori's mom happy :D )
 and I'll do spaghetti & meatballs for dinner (in my electic DO :p  ;) )

Dee4j

Quote from: oldmooseFYI, it's Oakdale not Oakhurst. We have a house in Twain Harte and we drove through Manteca and Escalon and Oakdale so many times I have all the curves memorized.

I may lead the SoCal group a different way. When we go to Twain Harte, I take J59 out of Merced and end up on 108 before the Yosemite turn off. There is another way that may allow us to miss 108. I'll call TT to get their opinion.
Moose

Yeah :D ..following someone who knows where their going..Just remember My TT is now 29' and hopefully you all are patient on the big hills as my truck will be going  "I think I can...I think I can"

we can use the FRS radios and maybe you'll know a good spot we can all stop and make lunch...I'm thinking an assortment of lunch meat and maybe some PB&J should cover it...

calstate360

Quote from: AzusateachI know how I'd get into Yosemite from the south, but I'd sure like some tips on how to get up to the Preserve. I've come down that grade once in a motorhome & would love to avoid that if possible, especially coming down. I don't mind travelling a bit longer if necessary. Thanks!

Laura
Talk with oldmoose as he knows how to get there from the south.
Sal

calstate360

Quote from: Dee4j:yikes: I guess I better make sure I have an XL cooler of beer
for Potluck Sat I'll make breakfast burritos (this will make Lori's mom happy :D )
and I'll do spaghetti & meatballs for dinner (in my electic DO :p ;) )
It is a long long way!!! Last year we lost 3 tires and after we finally got there late the Television blew up. 2 hrs. round trip to Wally World:mad:
There was no place in Groveland to buy one.
Speaking of TV's the reception sucks, almost no TV and zilch for cell phones.
There are pay phones in the campground, and you can go in to Yosemite for cell on top of the peaks. If you want or need tv bring a dish or tall external antenna. No, no climbing into my trailer to watch on my dish.
Sal

calstate360

Here are the directions from the north.
In MANTECA Turn onto SR-120
At Jack Tone Rd. is the fruit stand Joan mentioned.
If you are coming from the south on 99 take Jack Tone Rd. if you are not worried about Priest Grade.
Continue on 120.
In Oakdale when you get to the 4 way stop light you will see the park. Turn left. When you see the shopping center on the left, there is an Arco station on the right. The is the last chance for semi-reasonable priced gas.
Continue on 120 East.
When you get to Priest Grade do not take Old Priest Grade!!! It is straight down and back up.
Stay on Hwy 120 at Yosemite Junction, and continue 18 miles past Groveland to the preserve on your right.
At the entrance there is an Exxon station. This is the camp store also.
Go down the hill to the stop. Turn right. The check in is on the left about a long block forward. Give the guard your real name and tell them your with the popup group. So far we are scheduled to be to the right side of the guard shack.
If any thing changes or there are road construction updates I will post them on Wed night so check the board before you leave.
Sal

Azusateach

For breakfast I'll bring some muffins -- made at home, unfortunately!  And for dinner I'll provide some bruschetta.  How's that?

Laura

calstate360

Hey all I forgot to mention that where we are camping there is NO SHADE!
So bring your awnings, solar covers, or what have you.
Also we will have 2 very low use E-Z UPs for sale with us.
One was used at Olema 2 times. The other was used only 4 times.
They are both 8X8 size and we want $50 ea for them.
Were originally $90 ea.
Sal

CHELSEE'S DAD

Sal and Joan for the potluck Terri and I will be making Teriyaki chicken also will bring some garlic bread. For the breakfast we were thinking of breakfast rolls.See ya soon!!! :)

OC Campers

Quote from: calstate360
Hey all I forgot to mention that where we are camping there is NO SHADE!

So bring your awnings, solar covers, or what have you.
Also we will have 2 very low use E-Z UPs for sale with us.
One was used at Olema 2 times. The other was used only 4 times.
They are both 8X8 size and we want $50 ea for them.
Were originally $90 ea.

Sal
NO SHADE??  Are there any trees nearby?  I don't do very well in the sun.:( .  Are the sites paved or dirt?

Does the cg allow fires  or do we need to bring our portable fire pits?  Sorry about all the questions.

I think we will be making DO chicken merlot.  Breakfast has to be donuts (like I have a choice on this one:D )

Jacqui

calstate360

Quote from: OC CampersNO SHADE?? Are there any trees nearby? I don't do very well in the sun.:( . Are the sites paved or dirt?

Does the cg allow fires or do we need to bring our portable fire pits? Sorry about all the questions.

I think we will be making DO chicken merlot. Breakfast has to be donuts (like I have a choice on this one:D )

Jacqui
Nope no shade. There is a chance that we will be moved. One year we were put in a regular loop with lawn and trees. Everyone please remember that this is a membership campground and they have to save the best spots for members. If there are not a lot of reservations then they could move us. For a lot of people this is the last free weekend before school starts and so we never know how full they will be. To make it easy to find us, just look for my black pickup with the mural on the side of the shell. There is shade over yonder a ways ;)  next to the playground and golf. The best bet is an ez-up and some misters. If you plan on being in Yosemite during the day it is a lot cooler in the park. Or get friendly with someone with a big awning and misters.:) The Antelope Wallmart has single misters out by the garden dept. cash registers. We have a few of them and they work great. Fires are allowed and if there is no pit at your site they will bring you one. I just bring our own since it's up off the ground. I don't remember how much firewood is since I'm cheep and bring my own. I have seen a place up the road with a sign out for wood closer to Yosemite. I have no idea if they deliver. Dogs are free the leash rules apply. The sites are either gravel or dirt. It depends on how much they have been used this season.
Sal

Dee4j

Quote from: OC CampersNO SHADE??  Are there any trees nearby?  I don't do very well in the sun.:( .  Are the sites paved or dirt?

Does the cg allow fires  or do we need to bring our portable fire pits?  Sorry about all the questions.

I think we will be making DO chicken merlot.  Breakfast has to be donuts (like I have a choice on this one:D )

Jacqui

I do believe they allow fires..always my first question...and don't worry about shade..we have my awning and A/C..Chris will probably be at our site anyway..and you know me "the more the merrier" (the fish squad will prevail)
the teens in the back of the truck with an e-z up :yikes:  :rolleyes:

so how many people can fit in Dee's Trailer???? :J

Calstate361

16 days for us and Chelsie's Dad

17+ for the rest of you

Joan

OC Campers

Quote from: Dee4jI do believe they allow fires..always my first question...and don't worry about shade..we have my awning and A/C..Chris will probably be at our site anyway..and you know me "the more the merrier" (the fish squad will prevail)
the teens in the back of the truck with an e-z up :yikes: :rolleyes:

so how many people can fit in Dee's Trailer???? :J
Dee you will probably regret your offer.  I will have 5 kids with me so I will be at your camper and the kids WILL be elsewhere:) :p .  

Fortunately, my EZ up isn't big enough to go across the bed of the truck.. They will have to suffer in the tent.

We will have the margaritas flowing freely.  Thank you Zambonie for the Margarita Man.  Awesome stuff!!

Jacqui

griffsmom

Well, we're still very excited for this rally, but with the recent posts about no shade and the need for misters, I am starting to get a bit worried as well. Exactly how hot do you think it will be? :yikes: I'm not concerned for myself, but I'm worried for my mom (79 y/o) and Griffy (4 y/o). We don't have a/c in our camper. I've also never camped anywhere where I couldn't make a daily grocery and/or Wal-Mart run. You mean I'm going to have to plan my meals ahead of time!!! Yikes!! This will be a first for me! :eyecrazy: ;) Oh well, the fruit stand sounds wonderful!

I think we'll make monkey rolls for the breakfast potluck. I'm still trying to figure out what we'll make for dinner...maybe tamale pie and a cinnamon-apple spice cake cobbler?

Sal and Joan--is there a check-in time? If we arrive before that check-in time, will TT let us in early?

Moose and So Cal-ers--what is the route you suggest to get to the cg? Do we need to avoid Priest Grade like in Sal's post? Also, how long is the drive (approximately) in terms of time? What time is everyone planning on leaving SoCal? Is there a convoy in the works? (I'm feeling inquisitive today :p )

Dee4j

Quote from: griffsmomI am starting to get a bit worried as well. Exactly how hot do you think it will be? :yikes: I'm not concerned for myself, but I'm worried for my mom (79 y/o) and Griffy (4 y/o). never camped anywhere where I couldn't make a daily grocery and/or Wal-Mart run. You mean I'm going to have to plan my meals ahead of time!!! Yikes!! This will be a first for me! :eyecrazy: ;) Oh well, the fruit stand sounds wonderful!

Moose and So Cal-ers--what is the route you suggest to get to the cg? Do we need to avoid Priest Grade like in Sal's post? Also, how long is the drive (approximately) in terms of time? What time is everyone planning on leaving SoCal? Is there a convoy in the works? (I'm feeling inquisitive today :p )

Lori..If it's too hot for Mom she can have the extra bunk in our trailer ..I hate the heat so you'll probably find me in my TT with a beer with Jacquai and her margarita :!   so maybe it will be how many ADULTS can we fit in Dee's trailer this time :p

and as far as meals..I always seem to bring enough food for 2 weeks so if you need something you can shop at Dee's pantry

aren't we caravaning up together with moose ??? I have the rolling kitchen/bathroom  we'll talk at O'neill