News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

HalfDome Hyjinx III

Started by calstate360, Aug 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azusateach

How long does it take to get into the Valley from the campground?  Yosemite Lodge offers an early morning photo walk, hosted by a retired Kodak photographer.  Most of the promo material that Yosemite puts out has pics taken by them.  I did one years ago, before digital, and would love to see what they have to say & share about shooting with the new cameras.  If I remember right, the walk started around 7:00.  Pretty early, but I'd like to go.  Any other takers?

oldmoose

Direct from NOAA web site. I think it's accurate, but who knows. Oh yes of course, the Shadow knows!

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php?wfo=sto&zone=caz069&fire=caz269&county=cac109&dgtl=1&lat=37.897083333333&lon=-120.09375
Moose

griffsmom

Quote from: AzusateachHow long does it take to get into the Valley from the campground? Yosemite Lodge offers an early morning photo walk, hosted by a retired Kodak photographer. Most of the promo material that Yosemite puts out has pics taken by them. I did one years ago, before digital, and would love to see what they have to say & share about shooting with the new cameras. If I remember right, the walk started around 7:00. Pretty early, but I'd like to go. Any other takers?
Thast sounds like a cool tour, Laura.  We'll have to take a pass; my mom just can't do the walking.  We're taking an open air tram tour of Yosemite Valley on Fridfay morning which I'm looking forward to.  The guy I spoke with at the Yosemite Lodge told me to allow an hour to an hour and a half to get there from Groveland.  But then, I can't imagine there'll be a lot of traffic on the road at 6:00 a.m., so maybe you'll only have to allow for 30-45 minutes.  :confused:   When Griffin gets older, I want to do a number of the hiking tours and if we can time it just right, especially the moonlight tour.

OC Campers

Lori-

You will enjoy the tram.  We took it when we were there right before Memorial Day.  Matthew really enjoyed it.  I think it is well worth the $$$.  Unfortunately I can't remember how long it took us to go from Groveland to the Valley floor (We drove this way on our way to our rented cabin) .  I believe it is 22 miles but they are twisty and curvy miles.  The worst part is trying to find a parking space on the valley floor.  Figure a thousand cars trying to park in a hundred parking spaces.  If your mom has a handicap plaquard bring it with you!!

Jacqui

Azusateach

Quote from: griffsmomThast sounds like a cool tour, Laura.  We'll have to take a pass; my mom just can't do the walking.  We're taking an open air tram tour of Yosemite Valley on Fridfay morning which I'm looking forward to.  The guy I spoke with at the Yosemite Lodge told me to allow an hour to an hour and a half to get there from Groveland.  But then, I can't imagine there'll be a lot of traffic on the road at 6:00 a.m., so maybe you'll only have to allow for 30-45 minutes.  :confused:   When Griffin gets older, I want to do a number of the hiking tours and if we can time it just right, especially the moonlight tour.

Hour and a half, huh?  Well, I'll just call before I commit.   :D  That being said, I'm still headed into the valley.  I hear the falls are at an all-time high.  Even though it's late in the summer (kind of), there should still be lots of water.  As far as walking with your mom, Lori, there are great paved paths to places like Yosemite Falls & the nature center at Happy Isles.  A tram will take you close to both of them.  Honestly, Yosemite is one of my favorite places in the whole world -- crowds or not.

See you Thursday in Lebec!

Laura

Chez Way

Quote from: AzusateachHonestly, Yosemite is one of my favorite places in the whole world -- crowds or not.

See you Thursday in Lebec!

Laura
Laura,
I have to agree--Yosemite is an absolutely amazing place.  The last time we were there was around 5 years ago so we are definitely due for a trip..

Have a fantastic weekend campers.  We are off to Pismo tomorrow for a non-camping vacation with the clan.  Happy trails everyone!

oldmoose

OK, it's 11 PM and we finally got the menu and shopping list done. I'm not workiing tomorrow, so it's off to the gym about 5:45, hen home, then blood test, then car wash, then shop and of course then pack. ave to remember to get the cherry tomatoes & jalapeno's from the back yard. For the potluck Paula's doing the main DO and I'll be making my chocoholics cake. Sunday night Paula's refining her Hershey's chocolate cake. Oh damn, more chocolate.:D

Moose

calstate360

Quote from: AzusateachHow long does it take to get into the Valley from the campground? Yosemite Lodge offers an early morning photo walk, hosted by a retired Kodak photographer. Most of the promo material that Yosemite puts out has pics taken by them. I did one years ago, before digital, and would love to see what they have to say & share about shooting with the new cameras. If I remember right, the walk started around 7:00. Pretty early, but I'd like to go. Any other takers?
An hour and a half is right. Forget the time, for a lot of people this is the last weekend before school. Be sure anyone who has a handicapped plate, bring it with you. It makes it free to enter the park.
Tomorrow when we get there I will post if there are any traffic delays for the route we are taking.
Sal

Dee4j

sheesh..I go to work for a few hours and there's a buttload of posts to read..you can tell the rally is almost here.

lets see where to start..

Tram tour..I'm assuming that's a land tram not an air tram :yikes:  I hate heights
but I'd be brave for the kids :eyecrazy:

let's see 22 miles..I learned to drive on twisty roads in the fog so for me...45 minutes..ok the kids are with me..55 minutes :p hey 5 more minutes of sleep in the am means evrything to me :morning:

sounds like I'll need to take mucho pics so I think I need to add the laptop to the list to download the camera I will also have blank cd's in case someone needs them

Chocolate??..did you say chocolate??..someone is going to get lots of hugs and praises from a 6 yr old girl...but you can't keep her :J

still haven't decided on what to bring for potluck breakfast..found some cool recipes so I will choice in the morning...oh it is morning..well in a few hours when I wake up..

everyone send me vibes for tomorrow nite..."go to bed early...go to bed early"...
my clock is such a mess maybe I should give Dan a Hammer??? :J

parking.. I don't need no stinking parking....I drive big vehicle....I make my own parking :J

Petrina

You crack me up!!! I still don't know what I am bringing for the pot lucks either.  Any way hear is your good joo joo for geting up early!!  On your marks...get set...GO!!! :-()

pjwaker :tent:

Dee4j

thanks Petrina....is it tomorrow yet??  that darn packing and shopping fairy didn't show up again so I guess I have to do it myself ;) T-19 hours  :D

oldmoose

Ok I picked veggies from the back yard and started getting everything ready. Like Dee, is it Thursday yet?

Moose

griffsmom

Quote from: oldmooseOK, it's 11 PM and we finally got the menu and shopping list done...For the potluck Paula's doing the main DO ...
Well, is that it?  You're not going to tell us??  You know I'll go :eyecrazy: :screwy: unles you tell me!  Rumbling tummies want to know!! ;) :D

Quotenot workiing tomorrow, so it's off to the gym about 5:45, hen home, then blood test, then car wash, then shop and of course then pack. ave to remember to get the cherry tomatoes & jalapeno's from the back yard. :D
I've got the pantry foods packed, as well as Griffin's and my clothes.  Everything else is on my list and waiting to be loaded into the Pu tonight.  I'm hoping that I'll get everything done tonight so that tomorrow morning I just have to get up (:morning: probably going to be the hardest part!!), shower, get dressed and hit the road.  Oh yeah, and I've got to remember to get a pedicure today.  ;)

Quote... Oh damn, more chocolate.
I hate when that happens. ;) :#

Petrina

Ok!  Ha! Silly me  :eyecrazy: I guese I wasn't as up this morning as I thought.  :screwy:   I don't know what is up with that packing fairy but he/she is not on my my happy list!!!   Any way...for the pot luck I will be making a pasta dish with chicken.  Nothing with a heavy souce since it will be hot and a bunt cake.  I haven't desided either chocolate or vanilla.  Breakfast pot luck I am going to make eggs benidict.  If there isn't to many people out and about I my just make scrambled eggs with cheese.   I know a lot of people want to get started early on Saturday down to the valley.  Back to packing!!!

Petrina

griffsmom

Quote from: Dee4jsounds like I'll need to take mucho pics so I think I need to add the laptop to the list to download the camera I will also have blank cd's in case someone needs them
I have two 256MB digital cards, but you make a good point. I think I'll bring my laptop as well in case I need to dump photos off the cards. :)