News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

HalfDome Hyjinx III

Started by calstate360, Aug 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

griffsmom

Quote from: Calstate361Lori (Griffsmom), I have added you to my list.  

This is great, we have 14 families signed up already! It is alsways a fun rally because people really enjoy the ease in which they can get to Yosemite without having to camp down in the valley with all the hords of people.

Joan
Thanks Joan! :) I was looking at the pictures from the last two years and we're really looking forward to this.  I hope General Coughing will be able to make it to the rally again. I've never had the pleasure of meeting him.

oldmoose

Got room for an Old Moose? Tentatively Thurs and leave on Monday.

Moose

griffsmom

Quote from: oldmooseGot room for an Old Moose? Tentatively Thurs and leave on Monday.

Moose
YEA!!!  :# YIPPEE!! :-()  WHOO-HOO!!! :!

OC Campers

Wow, another Southerner.  This almost another "meet in the middle" rally.

WOW!!

Jacqui

griffsmom

Quote from: 6QuigsJeff,
we've got a year to train for this.
Here are some websites with some tips!!

http://www.thecaliforniahikingpage.com/yosemite/halfdome/halfdome.html

http://www.rahul.net/kenton/fun/yosemite/
Bad news Kev--the Half Dome trail will be closed this summer. :( Here's the info from the Yosemite National Park site (http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/valleyhikes.htm#halfdome):

Half Dome
DifficultyRoundtrip time & distance Wheelchair accessible?Very
Strenuous
10 to 12 hours
17 mi / 27.4 km
No
Start: Happy Isles shuttle bus stop (about a half mile south of Curry Village). This trail will be closed during the day Monday-Thursday from July 6 through October 4, 2005. Visit the Conditions Update for more information.

Many visitors consider this hike to be the ultimate Yosemite hike. The cables that assist hikers up the last 900 ft (274 m) along the side of Half Dome are only up from late May through early October: ascending Half Dome when the cables are not erected is dangerous and strongly discouraged. Do not ascend to the top of Half Dome if thunderclouds are visible anywhere in the sky. Visit the Conditions Update page for the latest information about the Half Dome Cables.

During the summer of 2005 trail work will be continuing on the subdome and shoulder portions of the Half Dome Trail. A closure will be in effect during work hours. Work will most likely begin in July. Keep this in mind when making permit reservations and planning trips. When a complete schedule has been completed we will post it here.

Edit: Found a Conditions Update as of Mar 3, 2005 ( http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/conditions.htm ). It looks like the trail may be open Friday through Sunday for hikers:

During the summer of 2005 trail work will be continuing on the subdome and shoulder portions of the Half Dome Trail. This work will occur from July 6 through October 4 (7:00 am-4:00 pm, Mondays-Thursdays). During this time hikers will be prohibited through this section of trail and there is no trail access to the top of Half Dome. The trail will remain open from Thursday at 4:00 pm through Monday at 7:00 am as well as after 4:00 pm until 7:00 am Monday through Wednesday.

Dee4j

Quote from: griffsmomI LOVE that idea!! :# Being able to stop and eat lunch and potty in the hybrid is nice too. It is inevitable that I have Griffin go potty right before we leave and then not more than 20 minutes into the drive he needs to go again. I hate having to look for easy-off-and-on gas stations. :eyecrazy:

My mom will be camping with us--can she join the "girl power" car too? :)

YES absolutley..Kevin can either sit in the single seat in the back or ride with the boys...he'll have his face in games anyway...he's my easy traveler..he will drive for HOURS without a peep..Kara on the other hand...I'll just give Winn my beating stick  :J

we'll have to bring this up in April..dan's not fond of plans with other people (as if I care) "as things always happen..blah blah blah" he can't go with the flow .well as for me I go where the wind takes me :D

Dee4j

Quote from: oldmooseGot room for an Old Moose? Tentatively Thurs and leave on Monday.

Moose

Yippeee  :-() ...hey want to join the caravan.....we've got us a convoy :p

we are going Thur-Mon.

Calstate361

Old Moose, sure you can join us, glad to have you. I have added you to our list.

That's 15 signed up, the most so far for Half Dome Hyjinx! YAHOOOOOOO!

Joan

griffsmom

Did I read somewhere that there is a volleyball court at the cg?  If so, anyone up for a little friendly game of VB? :D

Dee4j

Quote from: griffsmomDid I read somewhere that there is a volleyball court at the cg?  If so, anyone up for a little friendly game of VB? :D

I would play, but wouldn't want to make you all look bad  :J

Calstate361

The NACO/Thousand Trails site, and our preserve book, indicates that they have a Volleyball Court, however I don't see one on the preserve map that they give you when you come in.  There is a playground, basketball court, shuffleboard, horseshoes, paddle boats, and mini golf. If we are up in Sun Valley, like last year, there is a large grassy area there that if you brought the net and poles it could be set up there.  That might be where the preserv puts it.  I don't know.  I will try to remember to ask the Superhost when I check in with him in May.

If you guys want to set up a game, go ahead. Sal and I don't plan anything because most of the people leave for the day to go tour Yosemite.

Joan

OC Campers

Quote from: griffsmomDid I read somewhere that there is a volleyball court at the cg? If so, anyone up for a little friendly game of VB? :D
Sure, we will play.  This is the best game for a 6 footer.  I just have to stand at the net with my arms in the air.:D

Jacqui

Calstate361

Ya Jacqui, and color your hair a bright red to distract everyone!!!!   HE HE HE

Joan

OC Campers

Quote from: Calstate361Ya Jacqui, and color your hair a bright red to distract everyone!!!! HE HE HE

Joan
Thanks Joan, but I believe that is basketball:D where the requirement is to have freakish bright pink hair.  But hey, there is always a first.  I have thought about coloring my hair. (maybe not red):) :eyecrazy:

Jacqui

Dee4j

Quote from: OC CampersI have thought about coloring my hair. (maybe not red):) :eyecrazy:

Jacqui

magenta seems to be in these days :eyecrazy: