News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: General coughing and rousing

Started by 6Quigs, Jan 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsm x2

Nick
QuoteWhat s the difference between optical and digital zoom?

Optical zoom is what cameras have been using for years in zoom lenses.

Digital zoom sucks,

Repeat after me:

Optical OK.  Digital Degrades.

There, that should do it.

Oh, what the heck.  Why be a geek if you can t act like a geek.

Here is a picture taken with OPTICAL ZOOM x3 (with some compression to cut out band width.)

[image]http://www.avenuecable.com/~gsmx2/Img_0848.jpg[/image]

Here is the same picture with the same compression, but simulated what occurs with x3 DIGITAL ZOOM.

[image]http://www.avenuecable.com/~gsmx2/Img_0847.jpg[/image]

Hope that helps and if these were printed the degradation would be even more visible.  (Do you get the feeling that I really think that the DIGITAL ZOOM numbers are a rip off?  If you don t get that feeling, my message isn t very clear.)

IGNORE DIGITAL ZOOM NUMBERS and AVOID any camera that ONLY has digital zoom.

gsm x2

Nick

Ab DiverWhy do they even call it digital zoom?  It should be called digital croping.

Red neff Barchetta

Ab DiverPUT is now soooo slow.  Only 5 posts since my last post 2 1/2 hrs. ago.  Things sure have changed since last year.  Makes you wonder who will renew next year other than NNC ers, and I think that s only because we communicate here.

griffsmom

Red neff Barchetta

QuoteORIGINAL:  Red neff Barchetta

Tidbit for CWB;
 I also picked up a civil war era book called " April 1865"  by Jay Winik that looks pretty good.  I ll let you know once I m finished.  The bookstore lady who obviously despises television said, " I heard that they ruined it by making a tv show based on it on the History channel" , lol.  Don t know if it s true or not, but you might check your tv listings.

Neff, she s right.  I ve been hearing it advertised all week, and everyone time I do, I think of Larry_Buff!

Cottonwooder

Red neff Barchetta
QuotePUT is now soooo slow. Only 5 posts since my last post 2 1/2 hrs. ago.

Neff, I never registered there, and haven t looked there other than back in November when alternate pop-up sites were being bantered about upon release of " the news" , but it seems like a lot of PUTers went to PopUpExplorer, or whatever it s called.  This might work for you.
 http://www.coastexplorer.com/popupexplorer/forum/

(Nick, if it s against the rules to give the URL to a competitor s site, please don t hesitate to remove this post.  I m guessing it s OK since so many such URLs were posted back in November/December.)

gsm x2

Nick
QuoteWhy do they even call it digital zoom? It should be called digital croping.

If they called it digital crop, people would change it to digital crap and they wouldn t be able to sell them to unsuspecting consumers.

gsm x2

Cottonwooder

gsm x2
QuoteOptical OK. Digital Degrades.
 Optical OK. Digital Degrades.
 (Do you get the feeling that I really think that the DIGITAL ZOOM numbers are a rip off? If you don t get that feeling, my message isn t very clear.)

Sorry, TOS, I don t understand what you re saying.  Do you like digital zoom or not?  C mon, speak up, and say what you mean and mean what you say.  :::::ducking, running:::::  [;)]

Red neff Barchetta

Ab DiverThanks Patricia.

I actually spend most of my PU mod.-nerd computer time over at [link=http://www.coastexplorer.com/popupexplorer/forum/]PUX[/link] and at [link=http://irv2.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=8076099152&f=5746022452]irv2[/link].  There s one more called [link=http://www.popupportal.com/fhome.asp]PUP[/link], but traffic there is even slower than here so I haven t bothered to register there.
 If it weren t for all of you fun and silly people here in the NNC area I probably wouldn t be here.  Especially since we ve got our NNC site and our NNC-Yahoo site.
 I admit it, I like my PU sites to have technical PU stuff and not have the " Campfire"  section be the busiest place on the site.  Reading posts from different parts of the country bickering about France or the Dixie Chicks on a PU site just doesn t do it for me.
 I sure enjoy our group though and all the " business"  we give each other.

Btw, PUT has posted the " rival"  sites in the General forum, so no worries.

Red neff Barchetta

gsm x2So which digital zoom camera should I get?

Nick

gsm x2

QuoteORIGINAL:  gsm x2

QuoteWhy do they even call it digital zoom? It should be called digital croping.

If they called it digital crop, people would change it to digital crap and they wouldn t be able to sell them to unsuspecting consumers.

gsm x2

Somehow I knew you were going to say something like that.[;)]

Red neff Barchetta

gsm x2LOL!  I was looking through the Introduction section of " California Camping"  and what does he describe, but a bizarre encounter in Canada with (drum-roll please); " noseeum s" , ha!  Seems they like to hide in your sock and bite you all night.  Actually makes me happy we " just"  have mosquitoe s here.  Murphy s Law says that I will start to see and hear that name (noseeum s) quite frequently now.

Ab Diver

gsm x2
Quote" noseeum s" , ha! Seems they like to hide in your sock and bite you all night

Ahhhh-Haaaa!!! *Now* do you believe me???? How do you think that guy got his big toe bit?

Note: Noseeums also have a dormant stage were their spores can " hibernate"  for months on end without harm. Over 150 years ago, some of these spores were inadvertantly part of a wagon s cargo on a return trip to St. Louis from the West Coast. From there is was a simple journey down the Misssissippi River to the Southern States, were they spread quickly across the whole South and Eastern Seaboard. The climactic conditions were perfect, and the noseeum thrived. This is why you see so MANY posts about noseeums from campers back east.

Side note: The noseeum makes a great snack when deep fried. I ve heard the best way to take them is " with a grain of salt" .

(wondering if Jeff has caught on to my little dissertation yet. Shhh.... nobody tell him. [;)] )

griffsmom

Ab Diver
QuoteORIGINAL:  Ab Diver
 (wondering if Jeff has caught on to my little dissertation yet. Shhh.... nobody tell him. [;)] )

Okay, so are they real bugs or not?  I caught on to the snipe reference, and the grain of salt comment isn t lost on me either, but I ve read a number of posts where the Easties are talking about being bitten by noseeums and seriously trying to figure out how to rig up screening to keep them out of the camper.

So again, I ask, which is it?[&:]

gsm x2

griffsmom
QuoteOkay, so are they real bugs or not? I caught on to the snipe reference, and the grain of salt comment isn t lost on me either, but I ve read a number of posts where the Easties are talking about being bitten by noseeums and seriously trying to figure out how to rig up screening to keep them out of the camper.

So again, I ask, which is it?  

Note to self:  If Beth starts and impromptu game of " Take It or Leave It"  at the Gold Country Rally, make sure that Lori IS NOT on my team."

gsm x2

Red neff Barchetta

gsm x2LOL Dave!
 Sorry, but I thought that I had acknowleged your noseeum knowledge.  You are a man with a lot of time on your hands, er, I mean who know s his insects.  You re another NNC er that Amy would have a hoot sitting around the campfire discussing larvae stages, the biting gene (I made that one up), etc..(this is a safe one), with.
 Seriously, thanks for the info.!  It is amazing what terror a little bug can inflict.