News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: General coughing and rousing

Started by 6Quigs, Jan 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cottonwooder

CottonwooderOn a more positive note, are any of you using DSL service?  If so, which do you recommend or would rather avoid?  For the amount of time I m online -- not to mention online radio -- it s time to make the switch.

Red neff Barchetta

CottonwooderI am especially sad about the children who lost a parent on the shuttle.  That s the part that bums me out the most.
 On another side, if the space program is to continue, the shuttles need to be replaced.  Instead though, sympathy funds are probably going to be pumped into the program to keep the 30 year-old shuttles running on out-dated technology.

Red neff Barchetta

CottonwooderChanging gears:
 This w/e has been crazy & fun!
 Started Friday with some friends watching Joe Satriani at The Fillmore in S. F. where we first had a great meal, walked the streets, enjoyed an amazing sold-out show, & briefly met Joe and the band afterwards.  Joe even talked to our friend (on another friend s cell phone) who was driving home to Napa at the time.  Saturday moved into the new warehouse and stored the PU INDOORS!  Now I ve got to get working to cover the expansion expenses, lol.  Finally the best was yet to come;  Sunday (which ended almost 3 hrs. ago) we took our 8 year-old to see another sold-out Joe show at Konocti (Clear Lake) and had a second row table on Joe s side of the stage with a great meal and unobstructed view.  I love that place for shows!  Took a whole roll of film with no hassles.  Met some of the band walking around the lobby beforehand.  Some guys that I have gotten to know who go to every Joe bay area gig took our 8 year-old backstage after the show and he hit the jackpot!  Drumsticks, pics, autograph s, & pictures!  All of them spent more time with him than the adults.  Best of all, Joe & Matt (the bassist) came out to the by now empty dining room to compliment us on his manners and to tell us what a great kid he is!  My son had brought one of his cheapo pics to give to Joe and Joe told us that hardly anyone ever gives him something for him to keep and he was touched by the gesture.
 I m a proud papa right now I must say!

Well, thanks for letting me ramble on.  Now I m finally tired and am off to join the rest of the family in slumberland.

gsm x2

CottonwooderThe emotional tribulations of life--all bunched up in 5 communications in NNC.

Cottonwooder--Thanks for sharing the poetic tribute.  Very touching.

As far was DSL---we can t get DSL where we live, but it we did, we would utilize Earthlink.  We ve been very pleased with the dial-up service.  The few times that we have had minor billing problems, they ve been cleared up with a single e-mail or phone call.

Jeff--thirty-year-old shuttles!  Oh my, what a reminder of our age.  What will your 8-year-old see as he goes through life?  My father, who used to grab onto the back of the ice trucks and slide down the snow covered streets of Grand Rapids, MI, says, " My biggest regret in life is that I won t be around to see where all of this takes us."

Your son has a good memory to take with him through life.  As a staunch music fan, do you play an instrument, or are you just a fan of " S, D, and R&R" ?

gsm x2

g-whiz

Red neff Barchetta
QuoteBest of all, Joe & Matt (the bassist) came out to the by now empty dining room to compliment us on his manners and to tell us what a great kid he is!

QuoteI m a proud papa right now I must say!

And proud you should be!  One of the many nice things that I enjoy being a part of NNC is the children.  They are polite and fun to be around.  Of course, the credit goes to the parents, which says a lot about our group.  Sounds like a fun w/e, Jeff.

Cottonwooder

gsm x2
QuoteAs far was DSL---we can t get DSL where we live,

How can that be, neighbor?  I just checked Yahoo, and here s the info:

SBC Yahoo! DSL Service is available for 805-648-xxxx. Choose a package below that best meets your needs based on connection speed and length of term.

Surely our 4-5 mile difference (even less as the crow flies) can t be the reason.  Am thinking of staying with AOL and using its DSL service.  Not ready to leave AOL after 7 (wow!) happy years together.

Red neff Barchetta

CottonwooderThanks Scott & Georgeanne!  He is a terrific kid!
 Btw, Joe will be playing the Ventura Theater tomorrow night.
 I used to play bass and then decided I d always wanted to know if you could stop a table saw blade with your hand.  Nearly lost a finger and did real bad damage to my tendons, so now I am on piano.  My DS is learning guitar and really enjoys it.
 Btw, I later found out that there is a stop switch on the front of a table saw, so don t bother with the hand trick.  I ve tried it for everyone, ha.  It gave me a new respect for power tools though.

Scott - We used to ride ice blocks down the steep fairway s at Grass Valley & Nevada City golf course s at midnight.  Great times!

gsm x2

Cottonwooder
QuoteSBC Yahoo! DSL Service is available for 805-648-xxxx. Choose a package below that best meets your needs based on connection speed and length of term.

Cottonwooder...I am no DSL expert, but here is what I understand about it.

To work, one must be within 1000 wire yards of the DSL relay.  The closer one is the better the speed.  So 4 or 5 miles is a tremendous difference.  In fact, in Ventura Harbor, we have DSL at our office on the west side of the harbor.  There is no DSL service on the east side.

However, G did check today.  There MAY BE DSL service up here now.  SBC says there is; Earthlink says that they have to investigate further.  Hope there is.

Jeff--just so you know and can learn from my experience....you can t stop a meat cutter with your thumb either---even if is is in a chain-linked glove.  I ll show you my scar if you show me yours.  [;)]

Thanks for the musical history.

Scott

otter

CottonwooderJeff, What a great time you had with your son!!!  The kids make it all happen, anywhere any time.  You spend such wonderful time with your boys.  Lucky kids.  Lucky you!  Proud you should be.

g-whiz

CottonwooderHi G-Whiz

g-whiz

g-whiz

g-whizAwfully quiet around here, huh?

g-whiz

g-whizYeah. [:(]  So quiet I ve had to resort to talking to myself!

g-whiz

g-whizI know what you mean.  Everybody told me what a lively group this is, but lately... well, it s been kind of lonely.

g-whiz

g-whizYep.  Lonely.  AND boring!  A boring board!  Somethings GOT to happen soon or I might not even bother to log on anymore.