SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: General coughing and rousing

Started by 6Quigs, Jan 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfcal

Red neff Barchetta

QuoteORIGINAL:  Red neff Barchetta

Of course if you re anywhere near downtown San Francisco at 5:00 on Friday, then you ll feel just like you are at home on the Los Angeles freeway s as you are churning out exhaust and going nowhere.  That s because Ray and his cycling cronies bombard S.F. streets at 5:00 on the last Friday of the month in a mass hysteria move known as " Critical Mass" .

Neff:

I just came back from riding in Critical Mass.  I actually dedicated my ride to you.  We went down Market Street, cut up Grant Street and snaked out way through the Stockton Tunnel, through Chinatown, up Broadway Tunnel and then down Van Ness.

Yup, traffic was pretty much a cluster f*ck.  But once in a great while, you have to believe in something and you have to get out there and make a statement.

Surfcal

otter

Surfcal
QuoteBut once in a great while, you have to believe in something and you have to get out there and make a statement.

Believe it!   [:)][:)]  You can t let the opportunities pass you by.

Red neff Barchetta

SurfcalRay -
 You are a madman!  Be careful causing gridlock and smog like that buddy.  One of these days some driver who needs to get to the airport or to the hospital or that simply just had a bad day (like Michael Douglas in that L.A. movie) is going to go off on the cyclists.
 It s funny, when I m on my bike, I get annoyed at driver s and when I m driving I get annoyed at cyclists, lol.

Btw, how many times did driver s give you the " #1"  finger salute last night?

gsm x2

QuoteWe actually did stop on the way back from Pfeifer Falls. No adult beverages though. My kids were really disappointed that they couldn t actually stand under the falls and were eager to get to a beach.

Went there a few years ago with my cousin Rex from Michigan.  There were footprints on the beach, so we were bound and determined to find a way down there.  After exploring both side of the river, we determined that the footprints were created by:

[ul]
  • people who arrived by boat or parachutes
  • kids who were much more daring and dexterous than these to 49-year-olds, who BTW are pretty daring and dexterous for 49-year-olds [/ul]

We settled on sitting on a rock that overlooked a very blue and gorgeous ocean.

In case you ve not been there, this is the waterfall in question.

[image]http://sccampers.org/images/Dcp_1863.jpg[/image]  You can see why it is such a temptation to go to the beach, but can see how much better the view is without people.

gsm x2

gsm x2

NickFrom the " other thread" ---

" rub the dog s...."

Yep, that will kill a thread every time.  That was even a question on the final in " Avoiding Thread Killing 101"

Which of these lines will likely Kill a Thread?

a.  rub the dog s........
 b.  Thought I d mention it since it s a fabric  n  craft store, so who d ever think to look there for camping lights? Enjoy!  
 c.  Yep--G. I was just pulling your leg there for a bit.
 d.  See ya when I see ya.
 e.  All of the above

The correct answer is e., but most people who got the question wrong choose a. because it s just so obvious.

gsm x2

Surfcal

Red neff Barchetta
QuoteORIGINAL:  Red neff Barchetta

Ray -
 You are a madman!  Be careful causing gridlock and smog like that buddy.  One of these days some driver who needs to get to the airport or to the hospital or that simply just had a bad day (like Michael Douglas in that L.A. movie) is going to go off on the cyclists.
 It s funny, when I m on my bike, I get annoyed at driver s and when I m driving I get annoyed at cyclists, lol.

Btw, how many times did driver s give you the " #1"  finger salute last night?

Neff:

I was in the middle of the pack man.  You know, sometimes we all are hypocritical.  Like I own a pickup truck from the mid-80 s and that s a big time gas guzzler. (Although I only use it for camping and towing).

I actually commute to work on my bike everyday.  And it s cool to have bike lanes.  Critical Mass is an advocacy for more bike lanes in the city.  There are huge gaps in the system and our aim is to have them connect the dots.

The part I don t like about Critical Mass is that, like in any advocacy group, there are the extremists and the militant asses, and they all throw in their pet causes or get out of hand.   They give any movement a bad name.  And along the way, the mission is diluted and even villified.  But, whacha gunna do with a bunch of rebels and misfits.  It actually began in 1992 with a huge bike messenger following.  The idea and event have become mainstream, at least by San Francisco standards.

Well, this moment in history has been brought to you by Hormel, the makers of SPAM.

Surfcal

Surfcal

SurfcalGSM X2:

So no pix from the ceremony I take it?

Surfcal

gsm x2

Surfcal
QuoteSo no pix from the ceremony I take it?

Ray--as a matter of fact there were.  However since I ve been back we ve been in the process of buying new computers, replacing the Pentium 400 ones we ve been nursing along with updates.  Finally just replaced them.  Oh my, what a difference in using this board.

I ll get the pictures up as I get software reinstalled.

gsm x2

Red neff Barchetta

SurfcalScott -
 Congrat s on the new computers!  I always despise the software installation and data moving part of getting a new computer though.

Ray -
 Yeah, it really is a bummer that a few bad seeds have to be in every group.  No matter how small a percentage they play in the group they almost always make the headlines.
 That is why I try not to make a fuss about being a plant eater.  It is my choice and the minority, so it s my responsibility to deal with.  Angry vegetarians embarass and tick me off when they start attacking meat eater s.  Besides, like me, most vegetarian s spent their first 25 years eating meat so I never understand why they have a problem sitting next to someone who is eating a steak or whatever.
 Hey, I even eat gnats and whatever as I m flying down a hill on my bike.  Better than when they go in your nose, lol.  Now what really hurts is a dragonfly in the face at 25-30 mph, ha!
 As far as the killing goes, no problem here.  I had to help kill a very large dog last year with my hands, feet, sticks, and rocks that was attacking a friend.  I understand the human instinct and adrenaline rush of that part of us much more now.  It was scary, exhilirating, emotional, and exciting all in one.

Surfcal

SurfcalGSM X2:

Dude, I have a Dell.  Did you know that spokesperson got busted for buying pot?  And they made a huge deal out of it.

Anyway, I have a Dell with a fairly speedy Celeron.  What I like about mine, which is about 8 months old, is the USB connection.  USB is the bomb, just plug & play.  It comes with 4 USB ports and I got one of those multiplier boxes.  It also comes with a Read/Write CD-Rom and the now archaic floppy drive.  Most computers have pretty competent sound cards that if you put a nice speaker system, you can really draw good quality music from your computer.

All in all, nothing special and in fact very standard, but my first computer was a 286 and I went from that to every reincarnation of the Intel chip through today.  Next year, who knows...?

But I think that the next mutation of computers is headed into the direction of fully integrated entertainment series which includes DVD, surround-sound sound cards, crisp LCD Monitors and HDTV compatible software along with TIVO-like capability.

The world of computers is like a journey, you never really get there, once in a while, you pause at a rest stop with a certain model.

All that Scott just because you mentioned you got a computer.  I m just a chatty little fella.

Surfcal

Red neff Barchetta

Surfcal
Quoteonce in a while, you pause at a rest stop with a certain model.

You mean like Chevy Chase got to do with Christy Brinkley in the motel pool in Vacation?

Red neff Barchetta

SurfcalGuard: That s not a real gun, is it Clark?
 Clark: What, are you kiddin ? This is a magnum P.I.
 Guard: It s a BB gun.
 Clark: Don t try me, I could put an eye out with this thing.

Red neff Barchetta

SurfcalI really do wonder if PUT will be around next year.  The posts are getting fewer and far between.
 This week will be even slower because I m swamped through Thursday afternoon (I heard that sigh of relief from all of you!) so my pointless posts won t be adding to the important goings on around here.
 Can t wait until I m backing the PU into a cg site!

6Quigs

gsm x2
Quotewe ve been in the process of buying new computers, replacing the Pentium 400 ones we ve been nursing along with updates.
Ditto, just ordered a new dell to replace our Pentium 400!!
 should be hear early next week.
 I ve still got a Pentium 120, that the kids use for their software CD s.
 Set up a home network over the memorial weekend in anticpiation of the new dell & my new work laptop, so now 4 of us can surf the net at the same time!!

Just got back today from 2 days camping in a tent, with DD & Indian Princesses.
 Had a great time. Camped at Manresa State Beach, and weather was wonderful.
 Everyone had a great time, looking forward to camping in the popup in 2 weeks time, as we re off for a week at Seacliff!!

Civil_War_Buff

6QuigsTo surfcal AND 6quigs....

PHHHHHHHHHTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

and you both know why!