News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: General coughing and rousing

Started by 6Quigs, Jan 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g-whiz

KellyWelcome Kelly & family!!  That last state I lived in before California (excluding the state of insanity) was Michigan.  So, we have something in common...  States lived in that begin with the letter " M" .  [:D]  We visited Moab about seven years ago.  Beautiful.  Especially Arches National Park.  We meant to just drive through and eight hours later we hadn t even seen half of the natural wonders.  Can t wait to go back one of these days.  Again, welcome... have a s more!

Red neff Barchetta

6QuigsKelly -
 Welcome!!  Glad you ve stopped in.  Even if the Twins knocked the A s out of the playoff s!  Grrrr.
 Don t mind the mess.
 E-mail me for my computer desk chair mod..  (nice RR ing Campinggeek)
 Oh yeah, say hello to Prince.

Ab Diver

6QuigsKelly, you made it! Welcome to Club Nick-Neff-Cough, where every day is one of the Good Old days!

Glad you liked the brewski. Yep, that was a local blend, world-renowned (or, at least, moderately accepted around here [;)] ). So tell us when you are gunna be in Sac, and we ll plan a Rally nearby in your honor.

(looks side-to-side to see if coast is clear) Ok guys, ya think that made her feel comfortable enough that we can start to rabble rouse her now? (scratches nose ala Paul Newman in " The Sting" )

Ab Diver

QuoteSo Campinggeek, since going to a rally is the best way to become " official" , and considering you re from Shingle Springs, why aren t you signed up for the Gold Rush Rally?   .

QuoteMy SIL is getting her degree that WE..... We are looking at time off for the Lucky at the Lake rally.

Dude, why wait? We got a spot waiting for ya this weekend at Ft. Bragg s " Wave n at da Beach"  rally! [:D]

Surfcal

6QuigsKelly:

Welcome to Nick-Neff-Cough, home of the happy camper.  Yes, it is indeed nice to have you join us.

They are nice people with nice friendly postings.  They begin to make you into a believer of group camping.  People help each other out, assist in getting your pop-ups set up, share food, imbibe in various assortments of mind altering concoctions, sing modern chants, and particpate in tribal dancing in celebration of their association.

Good luck Kelly!

Surfcal

g-whiz

Surfcal

QuoteORIGINAL:  Surfcal

Kelly:

Welcome to Nick-Neff-Cough, home of the happy camper.  Yes, it is indeed nice to have you have to join us.

Pssst.  Listen closely and carefully.  Leave now while you can.  NNC is a cult.  First they begin by convincing you they are nice people.  Sure, but the next thing you know, they overtake your life.

It begins innocently enough with nice friendly postings, and then soon, it becomes an obsession to check the boards to see what everyone else is doing.  Then, they begin to make you into a believer of group camping, where everyone ritualistically gets together in the form of rallies.  And therein is where the process of brainwashing really occurs.

People help each other out, assist in getting your pop-ups set up, share food, imbibe in various assortments of mind altering concoctions, sing modern chants, and particpate in tribal dancing in celebration of their association.   And these people do it over and over again.  Once you are in, there is no getting out!

So I warn you, get out while you can.  Heed this advice, because I am in the inside and there s no getting out.  And these people watch my every move.  By this time tomorrow, you won t even see a trace of this message, it ll be edited by the authorities, maybe banished to another rally and you, yes you will become another victim of the NNC cult.

Good luck and run Kelly run!

Surfcal

Sacto... Nick.... did you see this???  It s time to give Surfcal a glass of Kool-Ade!

Ab DiverThanks for the invite ab Diver but we were at Big Sur for a week, then at Union Valley so we re going to take care of things here at home.  
 Cherries and apricots are in season so that means jam time for me.  My peach trees need some serious supporting.  I have about 2 yards of compost to spread and then do some chipping and refill the bins.
 I actually left the trailer out so maybe I can squeeze in a couple mods.

The kids are asking to go back to MacKerricker.  I would love to go diving with you.  I ve done my ab diving around Catalina/Channel Islands with tanks.  Free diving would be a new experience.  The 5 hour run up is a little hard on the 6 and 5 year olds for a weekend.  

Campinggeek
 AKA Jon
 99 Utah behind 03 1500HD

SurfcalTold you you needed tissue handy LOL[;)][:D]

CG
 AKA Jon

Kelly

6Quigs[font=" comic sans ms" ]The last time I was in CA was in  86 ... or was it  87?  Whatever.  Wonder what took me so long to visit again! [;)]
 Thanks for the welcome.

Surfcal ~ actually had my first experience group camping Memorial Day weekend.  And I must admit it wasn t so bad!  I like the way the kids just disappeared *POOF* (with trust-worthy grown-ups, of course) and reappeared just before bed! [:D]  How long does the brainwashing process take?  or am I toast already? [&:]

Ab Diver ~ any chance I could get another beer?  I m getting kind of comfortable here in my camp chair.  Don t know when we ll make it to Sacramento ~ we have these little pockets of the country left to see.  This year it s the southwest.  We still have OR, CA and NV.  The northeast ~ from MD to ME and straight south with a left turn at LA.  I ll definitely let you know ~ wouldn t miss up a chance to camp with you all! [:D]

Jeff ~ not a baseball fan.  Is that sacrilege? Does it mean we need another topic for a friendly rivalry? [;)]  And I would say  hi  to Prince, but I haven t seen him since the Purple Rain tour in 1984!! (was it 1984? ~ the 80s are a little blurry![8D])  btw ~ watch your email, I m intrigued!

g-whiz ~ thanks for the s more ... beer and chocolate. [: (] Is there a better combination anywhere?! [&:] I camped Memorial weekend with someone from Michigan ~ something else in common!  Any tips for our visit to Arches?  We only have a couple days ~ what are the " must sees" ?  TIA

[/font]

g-whiz

Kelly
Quoteg-whiz ~ thanks for the s more ... beer and chocolate.  Is there a better combination anywhere?!  I camped Memorial weekend with someone from Michigan ~ something else in common! Any tips for our visit to Arches? We only have a couple days ~ what are the " must sees" ?

When we visited Arches, we picked up a handy driving guide at the Ranger Station.  It was nice because we were able to drive to each place and then get out of the car for a little hike.  I think this would work great with children.  Balanced Rock and Delicate Arch were my favorites (along with some of the great phallic symbols), but it is all beautiful and there is no way you will see it all.

Of course, this is an excellent time for education (my kids thank me now that they have their own children!!) and the Arches National Park site has lots of info if you haven t already checked it out.  Especially for children is this easy to understand link:

http://www.nps.gov/arch/student/index.htm

The night sky fascinates me and I m sorry we weren t in the park at night.  They most likely have a nighttime " tour" .  Check here for any Heavenly activity taking place during your stay:

http://comets.amsmeteors.org/

This totally makes me miss having my kids along on a vacation and that s why I m so excited about Gold Rush since my daughter, her husband and their two boys are joining us (all the way from Michigan!!)  

Hope I haven t bored you.  Here, have a strawberry blintz along with some Champagne and OJ.  Camping breakfasts aren t what they used to be.  [:D]

The Memory Maker

QuoteORIGINAL:  Guest
 We are looking at time off for the Lucky at the Lake rally.
 Campinggeek
 AKA Jon
 99 Utah behind 03 1500HD

Well as the wagonmaster of NNC s " Get Lucky by the Lake"  rally, I welcome you to sign up. Just visit the topic titled for this particular rally and e-mail me all the needed info regarding yourself & your rig. As soon as I receive your e-mail, I ll let you know.

This applies to everyone else out there.  Please join us for this rally[:)]

SactoCampers

6QuigsHey neff,

You know how I say that I m too darn lazy to set up the bunk end covers while I m trying to popup the popup? And how I say that because I don t follow the directions I end up trying to shove only the corners of the covers between the roof and tent because I can t reach and it gets all bunched up at the middle and looks cheezy? Well, while I was at Wright s Beach I solved the problem.

See, we brought this little beach umbrella with us this time. I noticed it stores in it s own little bag and comes in two pieces, one of which is a pole with a pointy little end on it so you can shove it in the sand. Well, as usual, I was too lazy to setup the bunk end covers but saw this pole and thought to myself, I bet if I stand on one of our chairs or cooler I can shove the covers right up and in between the tent and roof with the pole. Sure enough it works. Only catch is I have to temporarily disengage the shepherd s pole. No big deal, though.

See, sometimes I m rewarded for being really lazy.

So get yourself a beach umbrella kit. It has more uses than one.

Red neff Barchetta

6QuigsBrian -
 Very nice use of the umbrella!  Although, I can top it my friend.
 Here s my post from March;

QuoteI used velcro and affixed it to the solar covers and then put the velcro mate on the underside of the roof. When at the cg, I will then crank up the roof about a foot and install the 3 solar covers (I have a slide-out). Then I will finish raising the roof and after the shepherds poles are in place on the beds and slide, I ll just have to clamp down the three open sides of each cover.
 I used 4"  pieces of velcro and used 4 pieces for each cover. The velcro on the underside of the roof I affixed to a plastic track that is located right where the canvas is attatched to the roof. The velcro on the covers is affixed mostly on the hem with a little bit stuck to the cover material itself. If I make this a more permanent mod., I will then sew the velcro to the covers through the hem of the covers. Also, if I decide to keep this mod. and the velcro starts to seperate from the plastic on the roof, I will affix new 4"  velcro pieces with contact cement as well. They are pretty steady at the moment. Finally, I would also affix velcro to the opposite side of the covers so the covers would work in this fashion when reversed and you want to keep the heat in the PU.
 Btw, there is still plenty of solar cover material hanging over the 3 open ends of the bunk for the clamps to hold on to.

Here s another post of mine from last month if that one is confusing;

QuoteSandy -
 The velcro is my idea (I think, ha). It works perfectly and just like I planned for it to work.
 Its only purpose is to be able to raise the roof with the SBEC s in place so all you have to do once the shepherd s poles are in place is to clamp the 3 remaining open sides.
 In a nutshell, I stuck one side of the velcro to the plastic piece/strip that is under the lip of the ABS roof where the canvas meets the underside of the roof. I then stuck the other side of the velcro on the fabric that is around the top perimeter of the solar covers. My DW then re-enforced the velcro on the solar covers by sewing them also.
 When popping-up, we raise the roof about 12"  and then stop and attach the solar covers (we have 3 with the slide-out) to the roof and then finish raising the roof.
 We then happily watch as the solar covers go up with the roof. Gone are the days of trying to get the solar covers under the lip of the roof after set-up and then try and pinch them in there with the shepherd s poles.
 Last note;
 We also put the velcro on the reverse side of the solar covers for when it is cold outside (January & February for us) and we want to keep the heat in the PU.

This works perfectly Brian!  I am very happy with it and it is all I m going to do with the SBEC s.  Bring some velcro (both sides) with you to Gold Rush and we can knock it out in about 10 minutes when you arrive.  If you like it, you can then sew the velcro on the covers when you get home.

Scott/SCCS and Ray witnessed the first raising of the roof with this mod. at Snug Harbor and I think Scott is going to do it to his shiny new SBEC s.

Although I do raise my beer (carefully so as not to spill any) to you for the umbrella use.

otter

6Quigs--------------------------->[:)][:)] &[8D]   Otter Lon & Sadie barge into the campfire area... Hi Kelly, nice to meet cha.  It is nice having you drop by.

We are really not a cult, ususally; but there are some things about the group that you might need to ask a friendly/grandmotherly/understanding/ type.  Just ask away and I will try to keep you up to date.  We are presently all from the Left Coast (although you can t tell that by the way  some people  act or rather re-act), so tree hugging and the like are high on our list of after dinner activities.  I m sure we can find something in common besides sitting around the campfire drinking beer.  hmmm not baseball, not Prince, not surfing.......
 How about Zoom...or wine tasitng........Bailey s........ dogs?

Hey is this campfire build in the log cabin fashion or the teepee wa?  Where is the fire-guy anyway?  Oh? he s awy fromt he campfire?  Quick everyone, check your coolers, grills and b-bQ s:  nothing is safe!!!!!!!

Kool aide is on the table folks.  We re going for a walk.

Red neff Barchetta

6QuigsBrian -
 LOL!  I just looked at my last post and realized that I sound like Bill/OZ.
 " Well, yes that would work, but have you seen my indoor shower mod.?" , ha.
 He s an amazing PU guru, but really pushes his shower mod. a bit too much.  It s pretty funny to watch him and Chuck S get tangled up.  They do it on almost every thread that they both post in, lol.
 Anyway Brian, I m sure your umbrella mod. is excellent and I for one think you should continue using it.  I wasn t trying to top yours per say, but simply show you something that works for me.
 My mod s. are strictly designed to speed up setting-up camp and not worry about things until pop-down.

Dianne -
 Is that seat next to you taken?  I ll see you in person in less than 48 hrs.!