News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: General coughing and rousing

Started by 6Quigs, Jan 22, 2003, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

champ521

Red neff Barchetta
QuoteWe are (or maybe " were" ) considering some KOA s for quick one night stops on our trip to Utah next summer.

Neff- We stayed at the KOA at the Reno Hilton and had horrible experience. The campground was so bright at night that I sat outside and read my PUT magazine with no other light source. It was lit up like a store parking lot. The pop-ups canvas sides are not very good at blocking out the light. I actually ended up using the bunk-end covers on the inside to block out the light. I d be looking for somewhere else to stay, too.

champ521

QuoteORIGINAL:  champ521

QuoteWe are (or maybe " were" ) considering some KOA s for quick one night stops on our trip to Utah next summer.

Neff- We stayed at the KOA at the Reno Hilton and had horrible experience. The campground was so bright at night that I sat outside and read my PUT magazine with no other light source. It was lit up like a store parking lot. The pop-ups canvas sides are not very good at blocking out the light. I actually ended up using the bunk-end covers on the inside to block out the light. I d be looking for somewhere else to stay, too.

I have a solution to solve the above problem, just stay at the hotel!

Surfcal

Red neff Barchetta

Ab DiverReno too, huh?
 That s about my perception of KOA s alright.
 We would never stay at the Petaluma KOA anyway, but we wanted to see for ourselves so we d have first-hand knowledge next time someone asked us if they should stay there.  Well, now I have a concrete answer.
 We still might stay at 1 or 2 on our trip, but ONLY for 1-nighter s where all we want to do is sleep and get back on the road in the morning.

Our young Black belt is crossing his fingers tonight because backstage passes are being awarded tomorrow morning for the Friday night G3 (guitar heaven with Satriani, Vai, & Malmsteen) show he and I are going to.  Can t wait!  They started the tour last week and the reviews are all 10 s.  Each band plays a 45 minute set and then they all jam together (4 guitarists, 2 drummers, 2 bassists, & 1 keyboardist) for the 4th 45 minute set.  They are jamming and improvising this G3 tour to " Keep On Rockin  In The Free World"  (Neil Young), " Little Wing"  (Jimi Hendrix), " Voodoo Child"  (Jimi again), & La Grange (ZZ Top).
 Anyway, he s met Joe Satriani and his band (with pictures) the last 2 times we ve seem him, so I think he thinks that s going to happen every show, lol.  We met the guys in Rush last year too so I know he thinks that s normal.  What luck he has.  I ve been seeing Rush for 24 years and last year was the first time I met them (his first time)!
 What a long week this is gonna be!

abbear

Ab DiverKOA s were where we used to head many years ago when we were doing road trips while car camping.  They were cheap, clean, and friendly.  Now they have become expensive, clean, and generally impersonal.

If $40 - $50 a night is affordable then go for it.  But there are at least two motels near the Petaluma KOA that are cheaper than the KOA is for a family of 4.

If we all decide to do something like this we should pick a day we can all go and all show up together LOL.

Turduken - turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken.  That enough protein for you Michelle?

Calstate361

Ab DiverJeff (Red-Neff),

We have never stayed in a KOA, but I have never heard anything good about them.  I guess you use KOA only if nothing else is available.  KOA s are worse than those " paved/cemented"  RV parks.  Most KOA are more expensive than most of the places we have been with NNC.  Also, tell Mr. Black-Belt congratulations for us.  That is quite an accomplishment.

Patricia (Cottonwooder),

If you are re-thinking going to Lake Minden (which I recommend you do) then just drive another 1.5 hrs. more and go to Lake of the Springs.  You won t be dissappointed, like I think you would be with Lake Minden.  Lake Minden doesn t have any activities going on (especially this late in the season) unless you are there for a weekend when they have the power boat races on the Lake.  Then you are surrounded by noisey non-members and the place is packed.  We have been there a few times (only because it is so close to our house) when we wanted to get away for just a few days.  If you still go to Lake Minden, I recommend coming through Sacramento via I-5.  Depending on what time you make it through downtown, the traffic is not bad on a Sunday, but on a Monday it starts getting thick about 3-4:00 p.m.  It isn t as bad as the LA area, but it is bumper-to-bumper for about 2-3 miles through the downtown area because there are 3 on-ramps in a short distance where all the traffic from the State Workers are getting onto the freeway.   Once you get through that the traffice thins out.  Take I-5 to Hwy. 99-70 toward Marysville.

Directions to Lake Minden:  After getting through downtown Sacramento, via I-5, you will see the highway curve to the left toward the Airport, stay to your right and follow the signs to Hwy 99-70 toward Marysville.  Once you get past that split, you will go through 2 lights.  After the second light, it will only be less than 5 minutes to the Marcum Road, where you want to make a left turn.   There is a white NACO/TT sign on the right at the left turn.  The sign is not real easy to see, but the green street sign is.  There is also a good sized left turn lane for you.  From there, follow the road, it is not very far from the highway.  If you miss the turn and get to the flashing red light in East Nicholas, you went too far.  Turn around and go back a short way.

If you decide to go to Lake of the Springs, I know you will love this one, we do.  It is one of the nicer NACO/TT resorts that we have been to.  They always have activities going on during the week and always a bunch of things for the kids to do.  Although this late in the season, I don t know.  The lodge lookes over the lake and it is really pretty.  When you come into the Resort the sites higher up are kind of sparse for trees because a fire came through there years ago.  Once you get dowe the big hill, it gets nicer.  We have camped twice in Section B.  I believe Section H has full hook-ups, but there aren t very many of them and they always seem to be full.  Just drive around and pick your site.  We have experienced having deer walk through or close to our campsite.  We have seen wild Turkey, squirls, and all kinds of birds, including some quail.  Like I said, we really do like this resort.

Directions to Lake of the Springs:  Follow the directions for Lake Minden, except keep driving past the turn-off and head toward Marysville.  Once you get into Marysville, stay in the right lanes because you will make some zig-zags to get to Hwy 20/Marysville Road.   Once out of town, you will drive quit a distance, but watch for the brown signs directing you to Collins Lake.  You will turn left at the Collins Lake sign.  There is a gas station on the corner.  (If you watch closely, you will see NACO/TT signes at each of these turns.)   You will then travel a while (Note:  watch for a fruit stand on your right; we make a point of stopping there because they have the best tomatoes.) and turn right toward Oregon House (DO NOT go straight toward Dobbins) and go through Browns Valley.  Then you travel a bit more and turn left on Frenchtown Road (follow signs toward Brownsville), then turn left into the Resort.   The directions in the Directory are confusing and don t tell you much.  I really think the drive is longer than the miles listed in the Directory.  Just keep your eyes open for the NAC0/TT signs.  The signs are white like the one you see for Lake Minden, except the big wooden sign for the Resort entrance.  Note:  Section A is closer, maybe walking distance, to the Play Area, Tennis Courts, Volleyball Court, Picnic Area, etc.

Gook Luck.  Hope you decide to go to Lake of the Springs because it will be a much more pleasant experience.

I have a suggestion if you would like to do like we do:  we keep the resort maps that they give you when you check in and put them in the Directory where the resort is listed.  They come in handy for addresses and telephone numbers and future reference.  We mark the sites that look nice.

Well, I better get back to work.

Joan

pcmom

abbear

QuoteORIGINAL:  abbear
 Turduken - turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken.  That enough protein for you Michelle?

Nope, I think it needs to have melted cheese drizzled on the outside[:D][:D]

Hey, since everyone is talking about deep frying turkeys, has anyone used the new Camp Chef Keg Roaster?  Sounds easier and less messy than the turkey fryer!

Red neff Barchetta

Ab DiverI wonder if turkeys know of the injustice that awaits them?
 Heck, why not stuff a salmon inside the chicken, lol.

pcmom

Red neff BarchettaHey I was just checking out the NNC web site and noticed that I am not listed as a member yet[:o] So how many rallys do I have to attend and/or wagonmaster to be " official" [:D][:D][:D]

Nick

pcmom
QuoteORIGINAL:  pcmom

Hey I was just checking out the NNC web site and noticed that I am not listed as a member yet[:o] So how many rallys do I have to attend and/or wagonmaster to be " official" [:D][:D][:D]

10 Rallys at least.[:D]
 or when the webmasters get bugged enough to do it.[8D]

SactoCampers

Nick

QuoteORIGINAL:  Nick

QuoteORIGINAL:  pcmom

Hey I was just checking out the NNC web site and noticed that I am not listed as a member yet[:o] So how many rallys do I have to attend and/or wagonmaster to be " official" [:D][:D][:D]

10 Rallys at least.[:D]
 or when the webmasters get bugged enough to do it.[8D]

Yeah, that s one of those sections that we re not real good at staying on top of. I never want to assume after a rally or two that the attendee wants the official title of " member" , so I usually just wait for them to ask to be listed and to have  their own little web page. We can put you on there, and if you have a picture of you and your husband (we don t generally post closeups of kids on the website) send them over to me (sactocampers@yahoo.com), and I will post them when I get a chance. [:D]

Ab DiverSacto:

Thanks as usual for updating the website (voted #1 by PUX).  You are the best in keeping it current.

Surfcal

P.S.  Is it time yet to donate to the website costs.  Let me know if you folks need funding to keep it up.  We should stream some parts of the video.  I can edit it down to about 2:00 minutes.

Nick

QuoteP.S.  Is it time yet to donate to the website costs.  Let me know if you folks need funding to keep it up.  We should stream some parts of the video.  I can edit it down to about 2:00 minutes.

Yep its about that time.  Neff contributed at the last rally (thanks) and that carried a portion of the yearly fee.

Calstate361

GuestThose of you who are interested.....Sal just posted my Kahlua Recipe and other liqueurs in the Recipe Forum.

Joan

Cottonwooder

Calstate361Joan, thanks for all the info.  I guess we ll take a look at Lake Minden for now, and if we don t like it, will leave a day early to get an extra day at Morgan Hill on the way back.  Will have to try Lake of The Springs sometime, though.  Heck, we want to try them all!  [:)]

Hey Buff, are you still out there?  Am looking at new computers... guess which one has the look I like the most? [:D]

Calstate361

GuestPatricia, like I said, give us a call and we can run out one night and visit.

Joan