News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Cioppino Cook Off at Olema

Started by Nick, Oct 05, 2004, 11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

towrod

Quote from: sammyslaveI think that Ciopino is made from Olives..and Gin, with some other stuff thrown in. And when it is almost done you add some more Olives...and Gin, to finish it off.

Mmmmmm- Ciopino!

Hey Z - are we still on for the cookoff?

Hey Larry - is the cookoff still on or are the cooks taking time off?

Nick

Quote from: towrodMmmmmm- Ciopino!

Hey Z - are we still on for the cookoff?

Hey Larry - is the cookoff still on or are the cooks taking time off?
Anyone know of a place near Olema where we can get the seafood freash.  I know we can get the clams at one of the oyster farms, but we still need to get the rest of it.

towrod

Quote from: NickAnyone know of a place near Olema where we can get the seafood freash.  I know we can get the clams at one of the oyster farms, but we still need to get the rest of it.

I've driven by a market in Inverness ~ 6 miles north of Olema
http://www.pointreyes.org/info/inverness.html

Calstate361

Nick/Mike,

Call the campground.  Since they all live there, they could probably tell you the best and cheapest place to get the other ingredients.

Joan

zymomyz

Quote from: towrodHey Z - are we still on for the cookoff?

You bet !!!

Calstate361

Hey guys, just in case you don't have a Ciopppino recipe, here is one that was in our Raley's food ad:

Cioppino

Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Makes 4 generous services

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (14.5-oz.) can tomatoes, cut up
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
2 cups dry white wine
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 1-1/2 tsp. dried basil
Pinch of sugar
1 or 2 Dungeness crabs, cooked, cleaned and sectioned
9 fresh clams, scrubbed
9 fresh mussels, scrubbed
1 lb. cod fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 lb. white shrimp (21 to 25 count), peeled and deveined
1/4 lb. sea scallops

Heat oil in a very large stockpot. Add onion; saute until soft. Add garlic and bell pepper; cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, wine, parsley, basil, and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. (The broth can be made ahead at this point and refrigerated up to 8 hours. Reheat before adding seafood.) Add crab; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add remaining seafood, tucking under crab so that it is in the broth; simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until shrimp is pink and clams and mussels are open. (Discard any that do not open.) Serve with lots of crusty French Bread.
Variation: For a quicker cioppino, substitue 2 (32-oz.) jars of Reley's San Francisco-style cioppino sauce for the first 11 ingredients. Place into a very large stockpot. Add 1 cup wine and bring to a boil. Add seafood as directed above. Stir in 2 tbsp. lemon juice before serving.

HAVE FUN

Joan

towrod

Quote from: Nick
Rules:
- Minimum of two people, max of three per team
- Recipe must be from scratch
- All seafood will be the same for all teams (teams will pitch in for the seafood)
- Judging will be by ballot and will a blind taste.
- Anything else we can think of between now and February.

[/color][/size]
Teams:
Mike and Larry
Rita and Georgeann
Steve and Rod
Ray and Dave

Let me know when you form a team and I'll add you.

Hey Mike - do we have a source for the seafood yet?
 - Steve and I don't want any brined leg of pork in our cioppino!

Nick

Quote from: towrodHey Mike - do we have a source for the seafood yet?
- Steve and I don't want any brined leg of pork in our cioppino!
I think Ray is going to get crabs in the city, we will get the claims from Tomales Bay Oyster farm, and the muscles from Ranch 99 market.  Still working on the rest.

towrod

Quote from: NickI think Ray is going to get crabs in the city, we will get the claims from Tomales Bay Oyster farm, and the muscles from Ranch 99 market.  Still working on the rest.

I just wanted to confirm that we don't need to BYO seafood but will be doing a group purchase.  Of course we'll all be on our own for the  other ingredients and ....hic....:! secret ingredients. :D

zymomyz

Quote from: NickI think Ray got crabs in the city, ...

I don't think we should use Ray's crabs  ;)

Nick

Quote from: towrodI just wanted to confirm that we don't need to BYO seafood but will be doing a group purchase. Of course we'll all be on our own for the other ingredients and ....hic....:! secret ingredients. :D
Correct.

Nick

Quote from: zymomyzI don't think we should use Ray's crabs ;)
Was wondering how long it would take someone to make a comment on that.:D

zymomyz

Quote from: NickWas wondering how long it would take someone to make a comment on that.:D

I'm only surprized it wasn't Ray  ;)

Nick

Ok, we got the seafood worked out.  My parents are getting back from Hawaii on Friday and are going to come up to Olema for the day on Saturday.  They will bring the seafood with them so its fresh.

champ521

Quote from: NickOk, we got the seafood worked out.  My parents are getting back from Hawaii on Friday and are going to come up to Olema for the day on Saturday.  They will bring the seafood with them so its fresh.

Hawaii? I think we can probably find fresh local seafood.