News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

best route?

Started by Dee4j, Jan 05, 2005, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee4j

Trying to plan my 2 week trip to Wash & back and Since many of you going to the Rally are from the north- I'm looking for the best route to Pismo coming from N.Ca I will be most likely departing Orland ( N of Sac. on the 5 fwy)and heading straight there. Looking for the fastest (and safest) way there and about how long do you think it will take (avg speed 60).
Thanks

Surfcal

Dee,

No doubt I-5 is the swiftest going north.  Now as to the safest, I think it depends on who's driving.  :theking:

Surfcal

Dee4j

you are funny Ray I guess what I want to know is where is the best highway to cross over from the 5 to the 101 going south from oregon or north of Sacramento. If Dan flys up to Washington the weekend before the rally, I won't leave Wash until Monday. I have 3 days to get there so looking for suggestions

pcmom

Quote from: Dee4jI'm looking for the best route to Pismo coming from N.Ca I will be most likely departing Orland ( N of Sac. on the 5 fwy)and heading straight there.
Hello Dee,

After looking at different routes to take last year we decided that going via San Jose was the best route.  You can cut over near Fresno (I think) but it sounded like more 2 lane roads and steeper grades.  So from Orland, take I-5 to 505 (Winters Cut-off) to I-80 to 680 to 101.  We found this to be the most direct route. Just watch your timing so you miss rush hour traffic :)

Michelle

towrod

Quote from: Dee4jTrying to plan my 2 week trip to Wash & back and Since many of you going to the Rally are from the north- I'm looking for the best route to Pismo coming from N.Ca I will be most likely departing Orland ( N of Sac. on the 5 fwy)and heading straight there. Looking for the fastest (and safest) way there and about how long do you think it will take (avg speed 60).
Thanks

Hi Dee - We're in  Elk Grove, just south of Sacramento.  Last year we took 5 south to Kettleman City and cut west on 41/46 to Paso Robles.
then took 101 south.  It took about 6 hours and that included a break for lunch at In 'N Out in Kettleman City.

Dee4j

thanks guys...... 6 hours from south of sacramento :(  orland is about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs north of there. maybe I will stop 1/2 in between for the night. anyone have any Ideas???

Surfcal

New routes for Dee, going once....

Dee4j

Quote from: SurfcalNew routes for Dee, going once....

hey I still owe you one :J ...watch out you may find me at your door step. :yikes:

I think the 5 thru Kettleman seems the most direct & I know the 5 but the other way seem like maybe its faster?? I'll compare them on mapquest (and look up Rays house ;) )  

I guess if I don't show up at the campground by Thurs nite send out the rescue squads :eyecrazy:

boncrab

Quote from: Dee4jthanks guys...... 6 hours from south of sacramento :(  orland is about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs north of there. maybe I will stop 1/2 in between for the night. anyone have any Ideas???

Hey Dee... I live in Modesto and here is how we came last year.  I cut across to Highway 5 and then went south to Kettleman City (Highway 41), then followed that to hwy 46 to 101.  It was a very easy way to go and a ton less traffic then you will encounter going through the Bay Area.   It took us about 6 hours and that included stops. I found this route to be very acceptable and not too hilly at all. There was only 1 big hill and my van did it just fine.  This year we have a truck and I'm not even batting an eye and this route. :D

I tracked this same path from Orland through Stockton down hwy 5. Here are the Yahoo results.

Orland to Stockton  149 miles  2hrs and 14 mins.
Stockton to Kettleman City  166.3 miles  2 1/2 hours.
Kettleman City to Pismo Beach  96.2 miles  2hrs 7 mins.

Grand Total   411.50 miles   6 hours and 51 mins.   not counting stops.

Here are some campgrounds near Santa Nella, about 30 miles south of the half way point between Orland and Pismo Beach.  Little over a 3 hour drive from Orland.  Might be a nice middle point.  ;)

San Luis Reservoir RV Park      http://www.sanluisrv.com/directions.html
(800) 378-7275

Santa Nella RV Park
(209) 826-3105

OC Campers

Thanks for the driving info.  We were also wondering what the best way from Sacramento to Pismo was.  Can't wait for summer.

Jacqui

Dee4j

WOW THANKS Bonnie. I knew I would get some great answers here (except from Ray ;) )  I actually have put in my my start and stop from here to wash. on the Good sam club site. but haven't done the trip back I thought I'd see what feed back I got. 6 hours isn't that bad for me, but Kara gets tired of being in the car (dvds and video games help). I just want to be prepared with places to stay. without Dan with me  I'm leary of staying in rest stops etc. (but I do swing a mean bat :eyecrazy: )

chkster

why not use the cutoff off of I-5 to Gilroy/Monterey.. and then proceed south...
one shouldn't miss monterey...
 :)

griffsmom

Quote from: OC CampersThanks for the driving info.  We were also wondering what the best way from Sacramento to Pismo was

Jacqui
That would be Fountain Valley to Pismo via the 405.  Move back home already, will ya? :):p;)

OC Campers

Quote from: griffsmomThat would be Fountain Valley to Pismo via the 405. Move back home already, will ya? :):p;)
Sorry sweetie  but my heart is in Sacramento. :)    We sure do miss you guys though.  Pismo is only a few months away.

Jacqui

Surfcal

C'mon now.  We need more routes for Dee.  More routes for Dee.  How about some GPS coordinates with that too.

Surfcal