News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

R-Ranch rally, Napa Valley - Feb 17-20

Started by zamboni, Jan 13, 2006, 06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abbear

R Ranch at the lake? Didn't they used to be the Napa Valley Ranch Club?  My family used to go there 35-40 years ago.  I my have to check into this further :)

crawldaddy

Quote from: abbearR Ranch at the lake? Didn't they used to be the Napa Valley Ranch Club?  My family used to go there 35-40 years ago.  I my have to check into this further :)

Check no further.  That's the place.  

After it failed as a public campground, it became some kind of a "buy a slice of a retirement ranch" kind of trailer park.  That failed too.

A few years later, Jeff Dennis bought the place and created R-Ranch.  There are four in CA as far as I know.  This is the closest to the bay area.

Jeff is still an owner, and still active.  This year, he treated the whole place to Thanksgiving Dinner...but I wasn't there.

Back to our Self-Service Rally:
As promised, the office manager called back today.  Age six-ish and up is $10 per day, even though the summer amenities are not on line.  I got the "write to the board" response when I asked if there was any "slack" in the system.  

She also mentioned that the ranch got ten inches of rain in two days, so parts of it are soggy or washed-out.  It's winter, so the snack bar is closed - big deal - the store is open, as is the game room and arcade.

I don't know why, but we have more fun there in winter than we do in summer.  Perhaps it's the peace...she said it's deserted.  Sounds like all the other campgrounds.

Bill

zamboni

Quote from: crawldaddyBack to our Self-Service Rally:
As promised, the office manager called back today.  Age six-ish and up is $10 per day, even though the summer amenities are not on line.

Are you staying through until Monday, or if not, would we still be able to?  Jacqui and I have both planned on a 3-day weekend...

crawldaddy

Quote from: zamboniAre you staying through until Monday, or if not, would we still be able to?  Jacqui and I have both planned on a 3-day weekend...

Good question.  Hidden assumption is correct - I do have to be there.
Yes, I will be there Friday 1-ish through Monday afternoon - unless I misbehave and get sent home early.  (I wish I knew how to misbehave like that!)

Bill

zamboni

Quote from: crawldaddyYes, I will be there Friday 1-ish through Monday afternoon

If Jacqui is up for it, we'd be find with going to R-Ranch instead of Neil's Vineyard...

We wouldn't be arriving until about 7pm on Friday...

crawldaddy

Quote from: zamboniIf Jacqui is up for it, we'd be find with going to R-Ranch instead of Neil's Vineyard...

We wouldn't be arriving until about 7pm on Friday...

Great.  Y'all work it out and let me know.  

I'll be over there anyway (fishing) and I was considering trying Neil's - except that I've already paid for R-Ranch...might as well use it.

The Ranch is closer to the wineries anyway.  ;o)

By the way, I'm kidnapping my wife and whisking her away on a south-bound train tomorrow to Santa Barbara for their International Film Festival and her birthday, so I may be away from email for a few days - back Monday late evening.

Bill

OC Campers

Sounds good to us too.   We have Friday-Monday off so we will be there farely early.  Just let me know when you think you will arrive Bill.  I am looking forward to checking out the ranch.  This might be something we are interested in buying into if we like it.  My 14 year old will be at the stables the whole weekend.. :D

Randy also checked out Lake Solano on the web and he is excited about fishing.  Bill do you float tube or wade?   Just wondered if Randy should bring his float tube.  

Potluck anyone?  Now we can talk food.  Sorry Bill, I don't know how to make cioppino, plus, our shell fish providers won't be there.  How about something in the dutch oven?  We haven't camped since July so it should be a lot of fun.  My kids are already talking about going camping.

Glen, I guess you better change the name of the rally.

Jacqui

crawldaddy

Quote from: OC CampersSounds good to us too.   We have Friday-Monday off so we will be there farely early.  Just let me know when you think you will arrive Bill.  I am looking forward to checking out the ranch.  This might be something we are interested in buying into if we like it.  My 14 year old will be at the stables the whole weekend.. :D

Randy also checked out Lake Solano on the web and he is excited about fishing.  Bill do you float tube or wade?   Just wondered if Randy should bring his float tube.  

Potluck anyone?  Now we can talk food.  Sorry Bill, I don't know how to make cioppino, plus, our shell fish providers won't be there.  How about something in the dutch oven?  We haven't camped since July so it should be a lot of fun.  My kids are already talking about going camping.

Glen, I guess you better change the name of the rally.

Jacqui

Sure, tell Randy to bring the float tube, and the waders, and the fins.  We (3 guys) will do the same...two of us are just learning about this.  

At this point, I'm not sure about my wife and 12 year old son...little league just started...we will see if they show-up.  Thankfully the rig is big enough for dad, mom, the "baby" and two of dad's friends.

This group is too small for a pot luck...better make assignments or you will get nothing but deserts out of this crowd.  

Cioppino is just an Italian fisherman's stew...marinara with shellfish and finfish mixed in...simple but expensive...and rich.  There's a single serving "kit" at Trader Joe's - try it.

I had a dutch oven cherry pie that i will never forget.  Ever try it?

bill

OC Campers

Quote from: crawldaddySure, tell Randy to bring the float tube, and the waders, and the fins. We (3 guys) will do the same...two of us are just learning about this.

At this point, I'm not sure about my wife and 12 year old son...little league just started...we will see if they show-up. Thankfully the rig is big enough for dad, mom, the "baby" and two of dad's friends.

This group is too small for a pot luck...better make assignments or you will get nothing but deserts out of this crowd.

Cioppino is just an Italian fisherman's stew...marinara with shellfish and finfish mixed in...simple but expensive...and rich. There's a single serving "kit" at Trader Joe's - try it.

I had a dutch oven cherry pie that i will never forget. Ever try it?

bill
I will let Randy know to bring his tube and gear..

A group is never too small for a potluck.  I will make sure to make a main course.  If you are bringing 2 friends the dutch oven will work out super.  It makes a lot of food.  No I have never made cherry pie in it.  If you have a recipe, I would be willing to give a try.  You have to have dessert at a campout.

Oh, I love cioppino.  If it is on the menu at a restaurant I will usually order it.  Unfortunately, nobody in my family would eat it so I have never learned to make it.  I was at Costco today and they had a frozen cioppino.  Didn't have time to look closer (plus I had already spent more than I was supposed to:) )  but I may have to try it next time.

Jacqui

crawldaddy

Quote from: OC CampersI will let Randy know to bring his tube and gear..

A group is never too small for a potluck.  I will make sure to make a main course.  If you are bringing 2 friends the dutch oven will work out super.  It makes a lot of food.  No I have never made cherry pie in it.  If you have a recipe, I would be willing to give a try.  You have to have dessert at a campout.

Oh, I love cioppino.  If it is on the menu at a restaurant I will usually order it.  Unfortunately, nobody in my family would eat it so I have never learned to make it.  I was at Costco today and they had a frozen cioppino.  Didn't have time to look closer (plus I had already spent more than I was supposed to:) )  but I may have to try it next time.

Jacqui

dang - she caught me out in the desert eating dessert...(things a spell checker won't catch).

Put me down for two sides and a dessert...and a main course if my wife is along.

...and I'll try ta member which a thoze mount'in men 'twas what cooked up th cherry cobbler 'n git a ree sipie.

bill

OC Campers

Quote from: crawldaddydang - she caught me out in the desert eating dessert...(things a spell checker won't catch).

Put me down for two sides and a dessert...and a main course if my wife is along.

...and I'll try ta member which a thoze mount'in men 'twas what cooked up th cherry cobbler 'n git a ree sipie.

bill
:D :D ;)

zamboni

Quote from: OC CampersGlen, I guess you better change the name of the rally.

Uh, tried to; I can only change the subject of my first post, but that does not change the THREAD title ;(

R-Ranch rally, Napa Valley - Feb 17-20

Can anyone help?  Who has mod privileges?

I'd presume the potluck will be for Saturday?  (we'd probably be arriving late-ish Friday).

OC Campers

Only another week to go.  Hooray!!  Bill is there anything special we need to do or bring for the campground?  What time should we plan on arriving since you have to be there when we get there.  How do we check in?  So many questions.  SORRY!!

Glen, don't forget to cancel Neil's Vineyard.
Jacqui

crawldaddy

Quote from: OC CampersOnly another week to go.  Hooray!!  Bill is there anything special we need to do or bring for the campground?  What time should we plan on arriving since you have to be there when we get there.  How do we check in?  So many questions.  SORRY!!

Glen, don't forget to cancel Neil's Vineyard.
Jacqui

I don't think there's anything special you need....hmmm...  I can't remember what kind of electrical outlets they have...I think it's regular 15 amp - like in your house.  I will try to remember extension cords so we can hi-jack power from other sites.

Other than that, we're set.  There's no "assigned seating" - it's all first come...  At present, there's a nice string of open sites along the meadow (my fav. place), so if those are available, we'll take'em.

I _should_ be there by 2pm, but you never know.  We could exchange cell phone numbers, and try to synchronize schedules on-the-fly.  i'll PM you with mine.  I may decide to go there late on Thursday, we will see.

Check-in happens at the main gate.  I don't know how they will want to handle it - they will probably send someone to get me.  if you arrive ahead of me, they will let you park and wait.  If the snack bar is open again by then, they will have an excuse to let you wander around on foot.

Verizon phones (like mine) do work in the meadow (which is one of the reasons i like that spot), but they don't work everywhere.  other brands (like the old at&t) may not work at all, and i've heard one other brand really rocks out there.  with the hills and rural economy, we may not be able to talk once we leave the 80/505 corridor, so let's plan on making a final schedule on Friday morning around 10.

Bill

zamboni

I have Verizon as well.  We will be leaving Sacramento by about 5-5:30.  Unfortunately, rush hour, so probably not arriving at the ranch until about 7pm

I already cancelled Neil's.

Even if there is no electricity, we can cope... since I do have a battery-powered blender! :D

I'll PM you both with my contact info.