News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

R-Ranch rally, Napa Valley - Feb 17-20

Started by zamboni, Jan 13, 2006, 06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OC Campers

We also have Verizon.   We have a generator (EU1000) if need be.   We have Friday off so just let us know when your ETA is and we will plan around it.

Our poor little  popup hasn't been out since July so I am sure it will need a good cleaning out.  Plus there is so much stuff on top you can barely see the roof.  I am so ready to go!!

Jacqui

OC Campers

Bill are there picnic tables and fire rings available?

Jacqui

crawldaddy

Quote from: OC CampersBill are there picnic tables and fire rings available?

Jacqui

Sure.  Each site has a picnic table, and we can move them around as long as we move them back before we leave.  Each site also has a one of those old style BBQ pedestals, so bring charcoal if you like.

My goal is to pick a spot around the meadow.  I'll try to PM a PDF map.  The first page will be the cabin and club house side of the ranch.  The second page is the RV side.  The meadow is in the lower right.  There's a large community fire ring there, and it's the only place where we can have an open fire of wood (gas and charcoal is allowed almost everywhere).  

My schedule is still a bit dynamic, so please be prepared to entertain yourselves a bit longer....  

Okay, I can't tell a lie...there's a fly fishing show at the Marin Civic Center, and I am weak.  It doesn't start until 11am, and I would like to spend a few hours.  If I leave there at 2pm, I wouldn't get to the ranch until around 4pm.  Don't tell Randy!

I don't see an attachment gizmo for PMs, so I tried it here, but it does not preview... oh well.

OC Campers

Quote from: crawldaddySure. Each site has a picnic table, and we can move them around as long as we move them back before we leave. Each site also has a one of those old style BBQ pedestals, so bring charcoal if you like.

My goal is to pick a spot around the meadow. I'll try to PM a PDF map. The first page will be the cabin and club house side of the ranch. The second page is the RV side. The meadow is in the lower right. There's a large community fire ring there, and it's the only place where we can have an open fire of wood (gas and charcoal is allowed almost everywhere).

My schedule is still a bit dynamic, so please be prepared to entertain yourselves a bit longer....

Okay, I can't tell a lie...there's a fly fishing show at the Marin Civic Center, and I am weak. It doesn't start until 11am, and I would like to spend a few hours. If I leave there at 2pm, I wouldn't get to the ranch until around 4pm. Don't tell Randy!

I don't see an attachment gizmo for PMs, so I tried it here, but it does not preview... oh well.
The bbq stand will be perfect for the dutch oven to go on.  

We got the flyer on the fly show.  I told Randy if he wanted to go he would have to go over the weekend.  The cg is closer than home.   They have been talking showers for next weekend.  I hope the weather guy is wrong.  If it rains we will have to try wine tasting.  (the kids will hate it)  I was reading on another forum somewhere about a place in Napa that the kids would like called something Safari??.  I will have to track down the exact name,

Is it worth bringing bikes along?  

I will PM you with our e-mail address than you can sent over a map.

Jacqui

crawldaddy

Quote from: OC CampersThe bbq stand will be perfect for the dutch oven to go on.  

We got the flyer on the fly show.  I told Randy if he wanted to go he would have to go over the weekend.  The cg is closer than home.   They have been talking showers for next weekend.  I hope the weather guy is wrong.  If it rains we will have to try wine tasting.  (the kids will hate it)  I was reading on another forum somewhere about a place in Napa that the kids would like called something Safari??.  I will have to track down the exact name,

Is it worth bringing bikes along?  

I will PM you with our e-mail address than you can sent over a map.

Jacqui

You could take showers before the weekend - I did already...

...oh, rain...got it.  I will fly fish anyway - the fish don't know about rain.

Bikes are fine.  There's a makeshift BMX track.

I searched the YP for "safari" and there was nothing kid sounding.  You might also consider Calistoga and the hot springs if it rains - about 30 minutes away.

Bill

OC Campers

The place is called Safari West.  www.safariwest.com  It is like Lion Country Safari.  It is a guided tour of "the bush" complete with wild animals.  My kids would love it but it is a little pricey ($60 for adults and $28 for kids).

Jacqui

OC Campers

One more question Bill. If we don't want to use the central fire ring will the ranch allow a portable enclosed wood fire place? We have one of those self contained fireplaces on wheels. My kids enjoy s'mores and I am trying to figure out a way to provide them without scraping the marshmallows off the outdoor stove:(.

Ok, I lied 2 more questions. Do you know if the ranch takes credit cards for site fees or should I plan on bringing "the bank". With 3 kids, they blow through my money like it growes on trees.:D

Is it Friday yet??  I am so ready to go.  My 5 year old is on countdown.  2 more night nights

Jacqui

OC Campers

I just checked Weather.com and it looks like our spring weather is over.  Make sure you bring plenty of warm clothes and an umbrella.

Friday--40% chance of showers  51-high and 34 low

Saturday--40% chance of showers  46 high and 28 low

Sunday--30% chance of showers  51 high and 31 low

Monday--10% chance of showers  56 high and 32 low

Gosh, have they ever had snow in Napa?  With night time temps that low we may get to camp in snow

crawldaddy

It is a matter of fuel.  Charcoal is "legal" everywhere on the ranch as far as I know, and you can use your own BBQ - you don't have to use their ugly old grilles.  That should solve the smores problem, unless your aesthetic requires you to use wood instead of charcoal.

The problem is wood and the throwing of sparks.  Charcoal doesn't do that, so it's considered safe (though Lazari Mesquite charcoal does spark - go figure).  The Ranch is so wet that nothing will burn this time of year, but they have rules, and they're going to stick to them...so you can burn charcoal in whatever you like, but the burning of wood shall be confined to the three public fire pits.

Yes, they take plastic - visa/mc only - no amex.

Too bad about the weather, eh?  Time to clean-out the kid's mess in the rig...they've been using it as a video game parlor.

crawldaddy

P.S. if you think three kids can gobble cash, have two more!

Nick

I updated the subject for you.

OC Campers

Quote from: crawldaddyIt is a matter of fuel. Charcoal is "legal" everywhere on the ranch as far as I know, and you can use your own BBQ - you don't have to use their ugly old grilles. That should solve the smores problem, unless your aesthetic requires you to use wood instead of charcoal.

The problem is wood and the throwing of sparks. Charcoal doesn't do that, so it's considered safe (though Lazari Mesquite charcoal does spark - go figure). The Ranch is so wet that nothing will burn this time of year, but they have rules, and they're going to stick to them...so you can burn charcoal in whatever you like, but the burning of wood shall be confined to the three public fire pits.

Yes, they take plastic - visa/mc only - no amex.

Too bad about the weather, eh? Time to clean-out the kid's mess in the rig...they've been using it as a video game parlor.
Well charcoal it will be.  Can you cook marshmallow's over charcoal?  I guess if there is a wil there is a way.  Even though it sounds like the weather will be less than perfect it will still be fun camping.

You have 5 kids?:yikes:   And now you have a wedding to plan and pay for?   Now I don't feel so bad.  Bill how old are your kids?  My kids are asking if there will be anyone to play with.  I know Glen and Kelly's little girl is about 2.
This info will definately help me plan on what forms of entertainment to bring along.  

Jacqui

zamboni

Quote from: OC CampersMy kids are asking if there will be anyone to play with.  I know Glen and Kelly's little girl is about 2.

I dunno about you... but Kelly and I are secretly banking on YOUR kids being OUR kid's entertainment! :D

(just kidding!)

OC Campers

Quote from: zamboniI dunno about you... but Kelly and I are secretly banking on YOUR kids being OUR kid's entertainment! :D

(just kidding!)
It all depends on how bored they get. I doubt my 10 year old will play with Shelby but my 14 year old dtr will love her. My 5 year old-hmmm, ya never know:D .  I am sure if you and Kelly want to go somewhere alone, my daughter can be bribed with cold hard cash:D :D :p .  She babysits all the time.

Jacqui

zamboni

Quote from: OC Campersmy daughter can be bribed with cold hard cash

Then there's the "other kid" - a puppy :)

(Boomer, a 3 month old Rottie/Sharpei mix... also known as "Boo-Boo" by Shelby)