News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

May Camping

Started by zamboni, May 01, 2007, 12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zamboni

The weather is perfect for camping right now!

Definite plan:  Memorial camping.  I will try to take Friday off, so we can go somewhere Thursday evening for the weekend.  Current leanings are Lawson's Landing at Dillon Beach (Bodega Bay, near Petaluma), which we've always enjoyed.  It is a large "field" area on a peninsula, so group camping is an easy feature (but it is dry).  http://www.lawsonslanding.com/

Wish List:

Camping the weekend of either May 12 or May 19.  We don't care where - just someplace close to Sacramento.  Sure, we'd prefer the south-side (in other words, South-East, like Jackson area... or even the East side like Placerville area).  We've got a generator on order, so we'll no longer be "chained" to electricity.

There are a number of "free" camping areas near Jackson that Kelly has found:
Jackson, CA
(note, this is near Indian Grinding State Park).

There are also places near Icehouse., up Hwy 50 half-way between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, just past Placerville.

Anybody have any interest in either time?

The Flyer Crew

We go Memorial Day every year up to Union Valley Reservoir, past Ice House. Usually it is nice but last year it snowed! The CG's up there might not be open before Memorial Day w/e.

zamboni

Quote from: The Flyer CrewWe go Memorial Day every year up to Union Valley Reservoir, past Ice House. Usually it is nice but last year it snowed! The CG's up there might not be open before Memorial Day w/e.

I've been there a few times (not for several years) - some CG's were dry, others I don't think were... but, my first time, I was in a tent with a group.

Which CG do you go to?  Are there facilities, and do you need reservations?

Icehouse would be a good place for us to go -- it would not be unreasonable to go up, park/set up, and come to work the next day (in order to claim a campsite) if I can't get the day off work; my friends, who'd be staying in our camper with us, have both Thurs-Fri, and Tuesday off.  With our generator, we're ready!

Are you planning on going again this year?  We're up for it, if you are interested...

The Flyer Crew

Yes! We are going again this year. It has become an annual tradition for myself and a few other families. My friend Rod (Towrod) reserves a few sites when it first becomes possible through ReserveAmerica, I think he does it Dec. 1st. Last year I think he posted it on the boards. Anyway, we usually get the same sites at Yellowjacket CG, and they book quickly for Memorial w/e. But some of the CG, as I understand it, cannot be reserved so your strategy of coming up early and commuting might work to get you a site. The Yellowjacket CG is around on the back side of the Union Valley Reservoir, a considerable ways past Ice House.

The Flyer Crew

So whaddya think?  It would be fun to have you along, are you gonna try to get a spot at Yellowjacket?  Or just head for Lawson's Landing...

The Flyer Crew

There's primitive facilities, outhouses and occasional water spigots. No elect., and no water at the sites. Dump site at the campground entrance. Dry camping! Try it, you'll like it!

6Quigs

Thanks Glen for thinking about putting something together.
Unfortunately, we are a bit booked up for the next few weeks.
May 18/19 I am camping in Yosemite with the YMCA Trailblazers.
May 26th, I'm off to Ireland for one of my younger brothers' wedding.
June, we have already got 2 camping trips organized.

Wish we could join you, hope you have a great time anyway!

Dee4j

Hey Glen...How about Flying Flags in June....

I'll have Cactus Coolers  :!

zamboni

I think Union Valley would be great -- but, I read your post as thought you'd already booked your spots in advance (and, knowing a holiday weekend) thus there were no more...

Kelly and I are definitely wanting to camp that weekend.  We have some good friends who would go with us (they both have Thurs-Sun off) so Kelly and I have talked about various camping options.

... My generator should be delivered this week, so that is no issue.

1)  I drive out with my friends (anywhere) Thur night.  Kelly comes out Fri night.  I leave Mon evening, they all leave Tues.

2)  If Kelly can get Fri off, she and my friends drive out, and I come out Fri evening.  Kelly drives my car back Mon evening, we all go home Tues evening.

So, if you have room or reservations for another Memorial Weekend, we are definitely game -- we love Icehouse area.  Just let me know, and who to pay, and we're there (since we don't have a different plan yet!).

Glen

Quote from: The Flyer CrewYes! We are going again this year. It has become an annual tradition for myself and a few other families. My friend Rod (Towrod) reserves a few sites when it first becomes possible through ReserveAmerica, I think he does it Dec. 1st. Last year I think he posted it on the boards. Anyway, we usually get the same sites at Yellowjacket CG, and they book quickly for Memorial w/e. But some of the CG, as I understand it, cannot be reserved so your strategy of coming up early and commuting might work to get you a site. The Yellowjacket CG is around on the back side of the Union Valley Reservoir, a considerable ways past Ice House.

zamboni

I think Union Valley would be great -- but, I read your post and thought you'd already booked your spots in advance (and, knowing a holiday weekend) thus there were no more...

Kelly and I are definitely wanting to camp that weekend.  We have some good friends who would MOST LIKELY go with us (they both have Thurs-Sun off) so Kelly and I have talked about various camping options.

... My generator should be delivered this week, so that is no issue.

1)  I drive out with my friends (anywhere) Thur night.  Kelly comes out Fri night in my Mustang.  I leave Mon evening, they all leave Tues with the camper.

2)  If Kelly can get Fri off, she and my friends drive out, and I come out Fri evening.  Kelly drives my car back Mon evening, we all go home Tues evening.

So, if you have room or reservations for another Memorial Weekend, we are definitely game -- we love Icehouse area.  Just let me know, and who to pay, and we're there (since we don't have a different plan yet!).

Have Prime Rib, Will Travel!!!!

Quote from: The Flyer CrewYes! We are going again this year. It has become an annual tradition for myself and a few other families. My friend Rod (Towrod) reserves a few sites when it first becomes possible through ReserveAmerica, I think he does it Dec. 1st. Last year I think he posted it on the boards. Anyway, we usually get the same sites at Yellowjacket CG, and they book quickly for Memorial w/e. But some of the CG, as I understand it, cannot be reserved so your strategy of coming up early and commuting might work to get you a site. The Yellowjacket CG is around on the back side of the Union Valley Reservoir, a considerable ways past Ice House.

towrod

Hi Glen,
Although there are no more reserveable sites available at the yellowjacket campground; more than half of the sites are strictly first come/first serve and if you went up Thursday you'd have an excellent chance of getting one.  

Here is a link to the campground map on the Forest Service web site:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/documents/rogs/rog_pac_yellowjacket.pdf

Sites 20-39 are nonreserveable.   Bring bikes (there is nicely paved 1 mile plus trail) and fishing gear if so inclined.  Hiking boots too if you want to visit the falls.

The Flyer Crew

We usually camp in sites 15-19. I don't know how many Rod reserved this year, but some good ones to try for might be 21 or 26.

zamboni

Quote from: The Flyer CrewWe usually camp in sites 15-19. I don't know how many Rod reserved this year, but some good ones to try for might be 21 or 26.

We are definitely interested - especially if Rod happened to have reserved a site that is no longer needed!

Is anybody else going up on Thursday (or even Wednesday), where we could have them stake out a spot with their car?  Obviously, I'd be happy to reimburse any costs.  Plus, if anyone is going up Wed or Thur, they might be able to call us if there are NO spots, to save us driving up there and then having to kill something :)

Otherwise, I have to juggle the me-go-up on Thursday with the camper, alone, if Kelly does not get Friday off (and I can).  We are not sure if our friends will make it, because my friend has his FINAL EXAM on that Saturday!!!  His prof will not let him take it earlier... They both have Friday off, but he'd have to drive back to Sac on Saturday for his test, then back up to the campground.  A lot of driving.

I offered to let him take my Mustang -- driving it would add to the excitement of his final (and his wife could just hang out with us)...  He'll let me know soon.

P.S.  I got my Honda 2000 from Mayberry's.  My gas can gave up its last "go juice" to my lawnmower this weekend, so I haven't obtained any more to donate to the generator to power it up and test it.

Soon... My Precious... soon!

towrod

Quote from: zamboniWe are definitely interested - especially if Rod happened to have reserved a site that is no longer needed!

Is anybody else going up on Thursday (or even Wednesday), where we could have them stake out a spot with their car? ...
Sorry Glen - no extra nor abandoned sites available from me. You might monitor ReserveAmerica to check for cancellations. All our reservations start on Friday, May 25 so no one will be heading up earlier in the week from our group. We will not be arriving until about 730pm on Friday evening.
It has been my experience that non reservable spaces are available as late as Friday morning in this campground.*

The Forest Service may not even open the gate to the campground much earlier than that so I would suggest a call to the Pacific Ranger District 530-644-2349 to verify that you can enter the campground if arriving before Friday.

FWIW I imagine Lawson Landing will be crowded as well if no one is pathfinding for you.

*No warranty expressed or implied. Your mileage may vary. Past performance is no guaranty of future resuts. Always wear a safety helmet.
Keep your powder dry. Bring a towel. Don't eat the yellow snow.*

EDIT - SITE(S) ARE STILL AVAILABLE TO RESERVE FOR MEMORIAL WEEKEND AT ICE HOUSE CAMPGROUND AS OF TUESDAY, MAY 15!!

zamboni

Quote from: towrodSITE(S) ARE STILL AVAILABLE TO RESERVE FOR MEMORIAL WEEKEND AT ICE HOUSE CAMPGROUND AS OF TUESDAY, MAY 15!!

Yup, so the ReserveAmerica site said - site #20.

OK, I'll book it...

Blech!  Note the yellow "AAAA" for the 4 nights we want?  Apparently, A doesn't mean "available" for this site...  Inventory not available might well mean the site is broken and has been removed from the system.

No wonder it is available -- it is not bookable!

I'll try to call tomorrow, but the website might just be messed up.