Main Menu

New to this Forum/Introductions

Started by harleywolf, Jul 27, 2007, 12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleywolf

Dee4j

no problem..anytime...

the motto is..if you plan it..they will camp

a great way to get a rally going is when you make reservations at a CG and you know there are other sites available..post it on the board and say we are going camping anyone else want to go..

griffsmom

Quote from: harleywolfHi all, just thought I

OC Campers

Hi Harleywolf.  Not too much activity with this group anymore but that doesn't mean we can't start it up again.   Next time you want to go camping just post where you plan to go and you never know.  Unfortunately, you are a couple of hours away from us so we would need to meet somewhere in the middle for a weekend.  

Another speed-bump for us right now is my job.  I work retail so I need to plan ahead (about a month) for a weekend off).  My kids love to camp and we are ready to get out and try some new places.

Jacqui

Calstate361

WELCOME, glad to have another join us in our camping excursions.  As you see by the previous threads in this site Sal and I (Calstate 360 and 361) have been the only ones wagon mastering rallies the last few years.   People are just too busy with kids, work, etc.  We belong to NACO/Thousand Trails so we usually host them at one of our preserves.   The people who have joined us in a rally usually like the places.  I'm retiring from the State of California, Department of Health Services on 8/30/07 after 36 years of state services so we will be doing a lot more camping for longer periods of time; like a month instead of a long weekend or 1-2 weeks.  We are discussing where we want to go after my retirement.

We started out as tent campers, then upgraded to a PUP, then to a hybred and finally our current 36' 5th Wheel.  We really love it.  It's so much easier to keep everything in the trailer and only have to stock the refrigerator and put in the clothing, and load the dogs and cat.

As the others have said, post here and in SCCampers when you want to go camping and let us all know and we will see if we can attend.  OR, you can wagon master a rally yourself; it's not hard! :eyecrazy:

WELCOME AGAIN

Joan

harleywolf

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Joan, first congrats on your retirement! I still have about

zamboni

Though you are a tad bit farther North than Sacramento, my wife & I (and our 3 year old daughter) do a lot of camping.  We love the NorCal area, and would be open to someplace between us and you!

We have a generator, so we're open to dry -- or even "Dispersed" (camping on BLM and National Forest land, which is generally free - just NO facilities... anywhere you can get your rig, you camp, but you haul water in and waste out).

One place we love camping is Lawson's Landing at Dillon Beach, CA.
http://lawsonslanding.com/

We're hoping to head back out there sometime in early September.  It would be about 100 miles for you... about the same as for us.

Calstate361

Rick, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I have been so busy here at work---I think they are trying to kill me before I retire. :banghead:  :swear:

Anyway, glad to hear you are familiar with NACO/TT, we love it.  However, Lake Minden is the hell hole of all the preserves/resorts.   Some people like it because they have sort of a "petting zoo" with a few animals for the kids to see, but the lake (this place used to be a hunting/fising club) is real nasty to look at because it is all brown and yukky looking.  I won't swim in it, but people do fish in it.    YUK   :yikes:   We consider Lake Minden a good place to stop between one preserve going on to the next.   PLEASE, don't think all the preserves are like Minden, all of the others we have been to, Minden is the worst!   That's too bad because we are only about 45 minutes from it.

We were very lucky to get our Membership because my Dad had purschased it back in the 60's so when we transferred it to us the transfer fee was only $100.  His membership dues were already frozen, because he was over 62, so they could only raise our dues 10%.  So we are one of the lucky ones who's membershib dues are low.  That's why we don't participate in some of the more expensive rallies.  Spending the money on one of those rallies would pay our yearly dues.

After I retire, we are thinking about going back up to the Russen River preserve, but haven't made up our minds yet.   We are also considering Snowflower.  That was my Dad's favorite place.  We also like Turtle Beach.   It is located behind where the Manteca Water Slides used to be.  It was closed for several years while NACO/TT was in a lawsuit with the Corp of Engineers because it got flooded.  Any way, it's been open now for about 3-4 years.  It is still under construction rebuilding everything, but it is a nice place with lots of trees.   We usually meet my full timer friends for Thanksgiving there.   We have also been to Morgan Hill (again to meet my friends) which is just past San Jose.  It is another nice one.   Well I could go on and on about NACO /TT because we basially love it.    

Let us know when you plan to stay at Lake Minden and maybe we can hook up with you.  Also, remember that right on the highway that goes through the town of Nicholas, at the light, is a great fruit stand.  We have gotten some wonderful tomatoes from them.   Sometimes I drive there because it is so close to home, just to pick up some tomatoes.

Well, I need to get busy with work so talk to you soon.  

Joan