PROPOSAL: Change the name of this club forum

Started by zamboni, Aug 14, 2007, 04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgr

Quote from: OC CampersThere are a bunch of Norcal campers over at PUX too.   Once we get the change going, I will post it over there too.

Jacqui

To demonstrate just how much of a novice I am here, what is the "PUX" forum?

OC Campers

Quote from: jgrTo demonstrate just how much of a novice I am here, what is the "PUX" forum?
PUX is another popup website.  www.popupexplorer.com

Jacqui

calstate360

I have proposed this to a number of members at various rallys. The group name is not relevant to who and what we are and never was. As one of the founding members I can tell you that life go's on. People move, their children
grow up and have new interests. Jobs are changed and people have less time to camp with a group and tend to stay close to home. Also some people have forged close friendships with others and no longer camp with the
group. Some no longer even have campers.

Nick the forum moderator changed jobs and no longer has the extra time to deal with the board. As far as the web page go's, I know it is sadly out of date as I became the default webmaster. Unfortunately I no longer have the passwords or any way to get them. Nick has to do it as the page is in his name. I do have the page backed up to a cd as I was in the process of a redesign when talk of changing the group name came about over a year ago. The current page can be left to die and we can set up a new domain under the group name when it is changed. I am willing to continue to be the webmaster with the provision that at least two other people have access so this password snafu never happens again. That said if one of the people decides to leave another person is chosen or volunteers to help out. Think long and hard before you volunteer you must be committed to the group.

Also we need a new moderator for the board. The duties are minimal, mainly archival, setting up polls, removing old posts, or inappropriate posts. Redirecting posts that will serve the common good of the board in another forum. The ability to make a thread a sticky and remove it once the need is over. Again this should be someone who has plenty of time and checks in more than once per day.

So should I set up a poll for a new group name?

How about one for a new Mod?

Let's get going with this as it is long over due!!!!!!

Sal

chkster

I am one who thinks that the name change would help.... for new members searching the internet.  I only found this group because I searched hard and followed leads from other forums. A new name would be a much easier way to go.

The Flyer Crew

I remember being asked what NCCNEPHCOFF stood for by the campground staff at my first rally (Olema, Feb. '03) and amazingly, I actually managed to remember it!  

I too think the name change idea is good.  How about "NorCal Friendly Campers"?  Or something relatively simple like that. I don't Google search much, so I don't know what makes something show up a lot.

jgr

Quote from: The Flyer CrewI don't Google search much, so I don't know what makes something show up a lot.

Google and other webbots go out and look for key words.  Then, when a person searches for the words, if there's a match, it goes towards the top of the list of hits.  (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google [explaining "Google indexes billions of Web pages, so that users can search for the information they desire, through the use of keywords and operators."].)  For that reason, a google-friendly name would be something like Northern California Pop Up Camping Club.  I'm not proposing that's what you should call it, but if the objective is to make it obvious and generate traffic, those sorts of words would be helpful.

Calstate361

I agree with all of you and Sal too, not just because he is my husband.  I think Sal should set up 2 polls; 1 for the name change listing about 3-4 different names, and 1 for picking a moderator with 2nd and 3rd being the back-up people as Sal suggested.  Of course I would pick Sal, because I know he is a perfectionist and being handicapped and not working, he may have more time to visit the boards and keep it going the way we want it.   This suggestion does not preclude any one else from speaking up who might want to do it.  Also, don't make the name specific to one type of trailer.  Most of us started off with a PU and have moved "up" to a hybred or whatever.  I like the Nor-Cal Camping Club as the name.

LET'S TAKE A VOTE!

Joan

zamboni

I'm up for NorCal Camping Club (aka NorClumping?)

I'd also be able to help moderate the forum area (I like making things sticky!)

As for a club website... norcalcamping.com is already taken - registered by a group in the Caribbean...  But, .net/.org/etc are all available.

It was re-registered by a marking company as soon as the previous owner let it expire.  I have experience with this, as I let one of my domains expire (spam filter blocked the renewal, and I never noticed), and the registrar wanted $100 to give it back to me - so I moved it to .org (//www.CaliforniaStarcraft.org -- I'm the webmaster of the NorCal Starcraft Camping Club)

//www.NorClumping.com is also available :D (I am just joking about that name!)

calstate360

I was thinking a .org domain for the web page. Also I would consider being a mod as long as there is more than one. That would stop any problems from happening as I have seen occur in other forums when one person gets power hungry. I will find the cd from the last time I was going to redo the web page and put a page up on my personal space for everyones consideration. Any suggestions as to what the content should be? There are things on the front page of the current site that should have been removed. I description of who we are, what we do, and what area we currently cover should be sufficient. Of course with a link to PopUp Times.
Sal

Quote from: zamboniI'm up for NorCal Camping Club (aka NorClumping?)

I'd also be able to help moderate the forum area (I like making things sticky!)

As for a club website... norcalcamping.com is already taken - registered by a group in the Caribbean... But, .net/.org/etc are all available.

It was re-registered by a marking company as soon as the previous owner let it expire. I have experience with this, as I let one of my domains expire (spam filter blocked the renewal, and I never noticed), and the registrar wanted $100 to give it back to me - so I moved it to .org (www.CaliforniaStarcraft.org -- I'm the webmaster of the NorCal Starcraft Camping Club)

www.NorClumping.com is also available :D (I am just joking about that name!)

zamboni

Quote from: calstate360Any suggestions as to what the content should be?

I'd like to maybe have past camping places (and dates) all in one place (yeah, they are on the forum here, but buried and not a nice clean one-page "shot").  That way, people can see from our web page what sorts of places we go to - and how often we like to go back to the same CG.

Maybe also a place for us to store links to web-based picture albums from specific campouts.