News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Route to Smith Woods

Started by Azusateach, Jun 05, 2009, 07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azusateach

Hey all!

I'm going to be coming from Chester, CA, to the rally at Smith Woods in July.  I'm wondering what the road from Pacifica south is like.  I drove it probably 20 years ago in a motorhome and just don't remember it.  I DON'T want to come over Hwy. 17 from San Jose to get there and would like not to have to go down to Salinas and come back up.  My drive will be long enough that day.

How long do you think it'll take me to get from Chester to Smith Woods?  I plan on driving it in one day.

Thanks for your help!

Laura

6Quigs

Do you mean Chester near lake Almanor?
That's a drive of over 300 miles, which is quite a lot to do in a day while towing.

First off, Why the reluctance to drive on Highway 17?
I drive it almost every month in my 35 foot motorhome to go camping at the beach, and it is not that bad. It is a 4 lane highway with a concrete divider in the middle. Yes it is a bit twisty in places, but you stay in the slow lane, stick to the speed limit, which is 50 mph and you will be fine. Try to get through San Jose before 3:00pm and avoid the evening commute, though you will not be in a hurry, just more traffic on the road.

I would much rather drive highway 17 than try to come down highway 1 from Pacifica. First, getting to Pacifica from Chester will not be easy. That would mean getting through San Francisco, (Ughh), and then the drive down highway 1, which is a 2 lane road would be a lot worse than highway 17. They are doing road works at devils slide area, and I believe it was down to one lane with traffic lights through the slide area.

I just looked at it on Google maps, and I agree with their chosen route of highway 36 to 5 to 505 to 50 to 680 to 880 to highway 17. It has a time of 5 and a half hours, so allowing for towing it should take you about 6 hours of driving.

Azusateach

You're right, it is a lot of driving.  But I don't see many decent options for staying between Lake Almanor and the coast.  If you've got any suggestions where I could stay and not bake I'm open.  But I figure if leave at the crack of dawn I can make it to Smith Woods by early afternoon.

I remember traveling 17 when I went to college at SJSU.  People drove like maniacs & there were always accidents.  I've thought about going down to Salinas and coming back up, just to avoid going south on 17, but you might change my mind.  Keep talking ...  ;)

6Quigs

Laura,
I understand where your are coming from, 20 years ago, highway 17 was a dangerous road.
It was a 4 lane winding highway with no center divider.
When they installed the center divider, the number of head on accidents dropped dramatically.
There have also been many other improvements over the years and they recently just completed some road widening on some of the narrrow curves and it is much safer with plenty of places to pull over.
Most of the accidents are during the morning commute during the winter when it rains, so you will be avoiding them.
You will be towing a trailer, so will be in the slow lane, so just let any mainiacs whizz by in the fast lane.
Driving from San Jose to Felton will not be that bad.
As you pass by Los Gatos, traffic will slow down as you go from 3 to 2 lanes but then it will speed up again.
Then after Los Gatos as you start to climb the mountain, which is not that steep, traffic will slow until you pass Lexington Reeservoir.
That is one of the steepest hills so once you have passed that the worst is over and traffic has spread out. There are a few more steep hills, but again you will be towing so going slow, 40 to 45 mph and the speed limit is only 50 mph, so people should not be whizzing past you too fast.

The worst is if you get behing a truck going 35 mph or slower. Your best bet is to just stay behind him. It will only be until he gets to the summit, and the climb is only 5 miles so it will be over soon, and once he gets to the summit he will speed up and they usually fly down the other side. I have passed them when pulling my trailer, but it was not worth it , on my nerves or Margarets, I should have just relaxed and stayed behind him, it will only add a few minutes to your drive time and be a lot safer.

Dee4j

This is one of the reaso I love this board so much..who needs a GPS :p

Are we there yet??

Kevin I have a question for you if I have to be at UC Davis on Wed`Aug 5 by 9:45 am and google maps says it's 2 hr 19 min so let's say 2 1/2 hrs what time do I need to leave Smithswood? Is it just a morning commute nightmare??

6Quigs

Dee,
Will you be towing the trailer with you?
If so, then that would mean a very early start to break camp and put stuff away.
The morning commute over highway 17 is not that bad, as it is mostly people who drive that route every day, so they move along at a nice pace as they are familar with the road and every curve and bend.
Traffic will not start to back up until you reach San Jose.
Then once you get past San Jose to Milpitas and onto 680 traffic should be moving along at the speed limit.
Then when you reach Walnut Creek expect some stop and go traffic until you get over the Benicia bridge and then it should be flowing again.
I would be leaving at 6:00 am just to be sure, 6:30 if I was not towing.

Dee4j

Quote from: 6Quigs;206133Dee,
Will you be towing the trailer with you?
If so, then that would mean a very early start to break camp and put stuff away.
The morning commute over highway 17 is not that bad, as it is mostly people who drive that route every day, so they move along at a nice pace as they are familar with the road and every curve and bend.
Traffic will not start to back up until you reach San Jose.
Then once you get past San Jose to Milpitas and onto 680 traffic should be moving along at the speed limit.
Then when you reach Walnut Creek expect some stop and go traffic until you get over the Benicia bridge and then it should be flowing again.
I would be leaving at 6:00 am just to be sure, 6:30 if I was not towing.

no not towing just a LONG day trip with a stop at the jelly belly factory on the way back :p I was thinking 7am, but wasn't sure about traffic. 6:30 it is.

Nick

Kevin, you should be a traffic reporter.  Good job and good calls on all your suggestions.

17 is not bad at all any longer.  I rather enjoy driving it.