News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

RE: Olema--- eats and such

Started by gsm x2, Feb 01, 2003, 02:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ab Diver

Ok, motion for a new NNC bylaw, or amendment to an existing NNC bylaw: " Separate threads about the same rally can be combined so the total number of pages can attain the required six (6) pages concerning the rally before the rally is actually allowed to proceed and occur."  What say, gang?

Now, on to the subject of this post...  Who s bringing what? I can bring my big ol  BBQ grill again, if it s needed. We also will have our big 2-burner Camp Chef stove. Wood, or briquettes, for the fire? I can bring either. Anybody think we ll need an extra table? I ve got that 6  long folding table I can bring again.

Eats: somebody mentioned biscuits and gravy for Sat. morning. I make a pretty good country style gravy, based on a buttermilk pancake recipe. Add some sausage, and it s definitely worth eating. Biscuits... reheated Schwarm s Country Style Biscuits OK, or do we want homemade Dutch oven biscuits??? (somebody else is gunna have to bake them, I m a DO rookie)

Main dishes/potluck entries: Sorry gang, but abalone season isn t until April. I can bring some tri-tip  (marinated, and sliced thin to cook quick). Or will this be a shrimp-fest? We can bring some of those as well.

Ok, that s a start. So... who s gunna bring what?

gsm x2

ab diverDave,

One of the things we have learned from Rally to Rally is to pretty much go with the flow as far as food goes.  At Bodega Bay and Woodson Bridge, we went with the bring a Main Dish + salad/appitizer/dessert routine.  Both times, once we had scarfed through the appitizers, no one had room for Main Dish etc.

So, and anyone can correct me if I am wrong, meals are kind of real potluck.  What shows up gets consumed and no one goes hungry.

This is not to discourage you or anyone from cooking up something.  Larry may make a pot of soup; Dianne makes this or that. We ll bring shrimp and kazoos.  So bring what you want; share and share alike.

However---when Ab season comes along.....oh my.....people still talk about the heaping helpings of Ab at Bodega Bay.  A memory right up there with the weather.

Scott

Ab Diver

ab diverScott, no problem with the food. I flow with the go, or something along those lines.[;)]

Still, does anybody think we ll need that big BBQ grill and extra table? Just trying to plan what s gunna get packed into the truck.

BTW: weather and ocean conditions permitting, expect some more " snail"  at the June Rally...

Nick

ab diverHey Dave,
 I already have a six foot table packed into my PU so we should be ok in that area.  Don t know about the BB-Q

Red neff Barchetta

ab diverDave,
 Scott pretty much has hit it on the head at least in regards to the last 4 or 5 rallies.  That is, everyone simply just piles up Sammy Slave s site with munchies and snacks and there is still enough food for 3 more rallies, ha.  I ve never gone hungry or felt that I was missing something from the ever changing food pyramid.  Nice and laid back.

g-whiz

ab diver
QuoteMain dishes/potluck entries: Sorry gang, but abalone season isn t until April. I can bring some tri-tip (marinated, and sliced thin to cook quick). Or will this be a shrimp-fest? We can bring some of those as well.

With NNC it always seems to be a shrimp fest!  I do have this ham in my freezer that I NEED to do something with.  It was a gift and is the size of Hunter (Mike (Nick) and Michele s (HuntersMom) son).  It s already cooked so there doesn t have to be much prep work, but maybe we could spice it up a little?   Me cooking is sort of a stretch, but I have many other good qualities.  Like, I m an excellent kazoo player.  But, I digress....   Mainly, I just don t want this ham to go to waste and get all freezer burned.  Any ideas?

gsm x2

ab diverDave--can you BBQ a cooked ham and help my DW out of this predicament?  If so, bring the BBQ.

gsm x2

The Memory Maker

ab diverThis post reminded me of something that happened at the Sat evening potluck @ Del Valle. Along the lines of food but not quite. I seem to remember the food tables being very dim on light. We don t have any extra portable lighting but maybe someone else does?

Gen (better half of The Memory Maker)

Ab Diver

ab diver" Dave--can you BBQ a cooked ham and help my DW out of this predicament?"

Consider that ham dealt with.[;)]

" I seem to remember the food tables being very dim on light. We don t have any extra portable lighting but maybe someone else does?"

We have an extra lantern, I d be happy to set it aside for the food table.  Bought a new propane Coleman this year, one of those Northstar " insta-clip mantle"  jobbies. Wow- that thing is so bright you may want to turn it down a notch. If you haven t seen one of those in action yet, I think you ll be impressed... bring your sunglasses.[8D]

g-whiz

ab diver
QuoteConsider that ham dealt with.

They don t have one of those faces doing the kissy lips.  If they did I d put it right here for you Dave!  [:)]

Ab Diver

ab diver" They don t have one of those faces doing the kissy lips. If they did I d put it right here for you Dave! [:)]"  

(blush) Awww, shucks...

(hands clasped behind back, head bowed, rubbing toe of boot in dirt)  

T wern t nothin .

[:)][:D][;)]

Nick

ab diverI bought my dad one of the Northstar lanterns last week.  We just tested it last night and I agree with Dave.  Bring your sunglasses.  I m buying one sometime before Olema so that will give us three Northstars.  Enough to light the campground.  Hey they just might mistake us for the lighthouse.

Surfcal

Ab Diver

QuoteORIGINAL:  Ab Diver

Sorry gang, but abalone season isn t until April. I can bring some tri-tip  (marinated, and sliced thin to cook quick). Or will this be a shrimp-fest? We can bring some of those as well.

Ok, that s a start. So... who s gunna bring what?

Dave:

With this global warming and all, shouldn t nature move up abalone season?  After all, this is a NNC Rally with special guest star chef, Ab Diver.  You haven t been to a rally in a while, but those abalone treats of yours have become legendary.  In fact, anyone who hasn t tasted them don t know what they re missing.

I guess marinated tri-tip will suffice.  They re the turf equivalent of abalone.  Let me contribute to the cost (or I can bring them) since I am the original freeloader in this group.  Fred from the TentLady group cooked them at Bodega Bay and they were great.

How about another wine tasting session?  Everyone bring their favorite California or Michigan wine.

Surfcal

gsm x2

Surfcal
QuoteHow about another wine tasting session? Everyone bring their favorite California or Michigan wine.

Surfcal

Just so you know, Georgeanne is on a mission to find a good Michigan wine.  I think that she ll have to put it in a California or French wine bottle before serving it.  Something about snobbery.

gsm x2

Ab Diver

Ab DiverRay, thanks for the kind words, but flattery will-- in this case-- get you nowhere.[;)] Mah frigitator/freeeezzzzer dun been emptied out, hoss.  Hafta wait  till after April when the season opens. Now, for the bad news... heard a " rumor"  that the ab limit will may be reduced *again* from three abs a day to a SINGLE ab for each day!  (to the uninitiated: that sucks, big time!) Keep your fingers crossed, and hope it ain t so.

Wine? Did somebody mention wine??? Ah got s me anudder brudder who works at a winery. I already asked him to set aside some vino for us. So, who likes what... red? white? Or should I just ask for some snobbish labels so Scott and Georgeanne to slap them on some bottles of ripple?[;)]

I can bring a couple-three bottles of each if wanted. Me? I m a " cab"  man myself.

Oh, and, P.S. ---  I m majorly bummed that the Sactofamily won t be able to make it. Brian, if it was at all possible, I d do a deschnitzification on a Reese Dual-Cam hitch and turn it into a Reese Dual-Hitch cam and tow your trailer over there for you. Trust me, the " 21-six"  could tow both our trailers at the same time and never have a problem. Would that it were possible...   Gunna miss ya buddy.