News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

steury

Started by munchkin, Apr 07, 2007, 05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munchkin

Hi!!

We're First Time Rv'ers Looking To Enjioy More Family Time And Less Costs. So, We Found A Vintage 1971 Steury Locally That We're Considering Buying. It'c Cool--still Has The Green Striped Awning And Big Enough For Our Family Of 6. Even Still Has An Oven.
Problems--1 Of The Lift Mechanisms Apperar To Be Broken. It Will Lift, But Requires Some Work. Found A Company That May Carry The Parts. Any Ideas On A Cheap, Easier Fix?

Also, Due To The Age, We're Thinking That Redoping The Wiring Might Be In Order. Works Now, But We Would Like A Couple Of More Outlets. Do We Need A Converter/inverter Or What? And Which 3 Of Amps Do You Think?

Thanks For Your Help!

Munchkin

losdinspace

Does the one that you have use a cable system our external poles? If it has the external poles you have to remove them and there is a spring on the inside. I have the spring style on mine and one is weak. I called a local shop that can reproduce them but there minumum order is $300. It is nice to see someon else with a Steury.

Any pics?

munchkin

No, bailed on it to my regret. Bought a 1982 Viking instead. The Viking's fine, but I fell in love with the Steury. Found another (1972) Steury in St. Louis that the guy just wanted to sell on e-bay--starting bid of $150. Had just bought the Viking, so I was undecided--lost track of it for a few days. Turns out no one even offered the $150 bid. Could have had it for next to nothing, with a 10 hour round trip drive.Had original dinette and sofa cushions, canvas and sink. Canvas had a couple of tears and the bunk end cushions were missing.  Watching to see if it shows up again. Any pics of yours?

losdinspace

Quote from: munchkinNo, bailed on it to my regret. Bought a 1982 Viking instead. The Viking's fine, but I fell in love with the Steury. Found another (1972) Steury in St. Louis that the guy just wanted to sell on e-bay--starting bid of $150. Had just bought the Viking, so I was undecided--lost track of it for a few days. Turns out no one even offered the $150 bid. Could have had it for next to nothing, with a 10 hour round trip drive.Had original dinette and sofa cushions, canvas and sink. Canvas had a couple of tears and the bunk end cushions were missing.  Watching to see if it shows up again. Any pics of yours?

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/552900932lpUSYG

munchkin

Someone had sent me these same pics while I was undecided. Part of the reason I fell in love with it, but the initial one that I was buying went up in price drastically. How much restoration did you do?

losdinspace

Quote from: munchkinSomeone had sent me these same pics while I was undecided. Part of the reason I fell in love with it, but the initial one that I was buying went up in price drastically. How much restoration did you do?

All that I have done so far is in the pictures. Most of it is the way that you see it. I swept out some sand and let it air out. The canvas has some spots that can use some help but other then that it is good. I want to get a new canvas but then I will lose the stripes.

munchkin

I kjnow the canvas dilemma--the 1 that I was thinking of was soon to need a new one too--but losing the stripes on this vintage would be sad. i found an Idahp canvas makers that might be able to replace the canvas with a striped. Have you checked w/ anyone yet?