News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

lift problem

Started by munchkin, Sep 09, 2007, 11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

munchkin

Just returned from camping at Tishomingo SP in MS this weekend. Had a great tme--until, when we lowering the roof, we stopped to tuck in canvas, when the crank handle turned furiously fast with no one asssisting it and completely lowered the roof. Yep, a huge BAM as it hit with canvas hanging out and all. It did crank back up, then lower correctly, with the 1 exception being that it began turning again until DD caught it and cranked it up until it "caught." It's a 1982 Viking. Any ideas?

Yoti14

Quote from: munchkinJust returned from camping at Tishomingo SP in MS this weekend. Had a great tme--until, when we lowering the roof, we stopped to tuck in canvas, when the crank handle turned furiously fast with no one asssisting it and completely lowered the roof. Yep, a huge BAM as it hit with canvas hanging out and all. It did crank back up, then lower correctly, with the 1 exception being that it began turning again until DD caught it and cranked it up until it "caught." It's a 1982 Viking. Any ideas?

Sounds like your winch brake has become intermitant. I would have it looked at at maybe a Uhaul service center or Rv place you trust. I had a similar issue on my 92 Skamper. The lift cranked no problem, it just wouldn't stop to make adjustments. On mine the winch was on the tounge so i used one of the safety chains to hold the crank handle steady. Pretty sure this is your problem. Good thing your hands wern't in there. That roof is heavy ;)

wavery

Quote from: munchkinJust returned from camping at Tishomingo SP in MS this weekend. Had a great tme--until, when we lowering the roof, we stopped to tuck in canvas, when the crank handle turned furiously fast with no one asssisting it and completely lowered the roof. Yep, a huge BAM as it hit with canvas hanging out and all. It did crank back up, then lower correctly, with the 1 exception being that it began turning again until DD caught it and cranked it up until it "caught." It's a 1982 Viking. Any ideas?
It sounds like the pawl may need to be lubricated.

The crank assembly has a wheel with teeth on it. The pawl falls into the teeth while you are cranking up (to prevent it from falling) and backs off while you are cranking down. You will hear a "Click-click-click" sound as the pawl falls into the teeth while cranking up.

That pawl is spring loaded and it needs to be lubricated at least once a year. It may be a good idea to lubricate your entire lift system. I'm not sure what your manuf recommends. My Coleman recommends Silicone spray.

It may be a good idea to try to get a new spring for your pawl while you are at it.

munchkin

Thanks! The lift system has a "black box" which is the winch mechanism or the crank. I'm assuming that the problem area is inside that box? We think it's riveted shut, but it's raining here now and well have to climb in to check it out as soon as we have a break. I'll also check w/Viking for info on the lubricant tomorrow.