News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Bethany Citation 88-1971 Model

Started by Robbym70, Apr 09, 2007, 11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbym70

I'm in my second season of ownership with my first Pop up...a Bethany Citation 88 1971 model.  I bought a new  KIA 4X4 in March of 2006 and  negotiated a hitch into the deal.  Three weeks later I bid on and won an auction on Ebay for said camper--$650 bucks !!.  I know I'm crazy--as my wife was happy to point out but I had talked quite a bit with the seller by phone and email.  

Turns out my instinct was quite right.  The camper is a gem and I and my family are just enjoying the heck out of it.  I can hook up a battery for lights or use shore power. It's large,  It sleeps 8 in a pinch and six very comfortably.  Stove works, sink works, interior lights and it has a 120 v electric system when hooked up to shore power.  The previous owner installed custom cabinets and draws for a myriad of storage options.  

Season 1 was more  or less  getting my pop up legs.  I used it about 10 nights and traveled a good 700 miles. I did a little bit of upgrading and refurbishing but now hold  a moderate list of items on my to do list.  So far this year I've installed a new battery system and a ventless propane heater that runs off the main propane tank.

For a 36 year old camper the thing is amazing.  The Interior looks like you stepped into a time machine. Lots of gold and brown flowers...very seventies ...but all in wonderful shape, not a rip to be seen on the pillows and cushions and the stove works like it's brand new.  

Bethany Christian Fellowship manufactured this camper.  In the 70's and 80's they made campers to support their divinity school operation.  This camper was made as a part of someone's ministry...I like that.  

I needed a manual to help me with the lighting system but couldn't find it.  Did a google on Bethan Christian Fellowship and came up with a number in MN.  They still are a seminary but now publish books...I sand to the lady on the phone " I have a strange question"...she said  , " is it about our campers?"...ha ha ... I laughed and she laughed with me.  

She put me through to an old timer in the warehouse.  You could hear the presses behind him somewhere.  Turned out he was the manager of the manufacturing operation back when they made the campers.  He was a wealth of information and closed by promising to send a manual for the camper...sure enough, he did, and I got my lights fixed up in no time.  

He was right about one thing...he said these campers were the CAdillacs of campers in their time.  Heavy duty  steel fixtures...one peice fiberglass roof (supported by ingenious spring system-no pulleys or cables), Heavy duty flooring and tile...Step into it and it's like you woke up after being in a time machine...Like any machinery that old it needs some TLC in places but overall it's amazing for it's age.  

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Bethany Campers...Haven't run across too many that have heard of them...  I've tried to post a picture lets see how it comes out.  I'll post more at a later time...

Glad I found you all.

Th

Trailman

Quote from: Robbym70I'd love to hear your thoughts on Bethany Campers...Haven't run across too many that have heard of them...  I've tried to post a picture lets see how it comes out.  I'll post more at a later time...
Glad I found you all.

Th
Thanks for posting the story, very interesting to hear some of the history about Bethany campers and it is neat that you were able to talk to some of the old hands.
Sounds like your Bethany is in good shape and you got a bargain  :)
There is a Yahoo site dedicated to Bethany Camper ethusiasts, it was started last year, lots of info and pics on there of different Bethany camper models.

Bethany Camper site

hidesertwheelin

I have a 1979 Bethany Citation 86. I love it, only wish it had A/C.

Funrover

Awsome.... Sounds like you found a keeper....Any pics?

bak1982

I have the same camper :)  isn't it wonderful?!?!  My boyfriend and i go camping almost every weekend in it...I had a slight problem with the furnace....(mice got into it, we lit it, it blew fire at us) but other than that the only thing that needs to be replaced is the canvas.  it sat for a very long time before my uncle paid $300 USD for it.  He owned it for two years before his family grew too big for it, then gave it to me, so yeah i got a free camper :)  I have had several people come up to me and ask me about the camper while camping.  It's really funny to see the looks on some peoples face.  Me, being only 25, love to see the looks on their faces while some of them travel back 30 or so years.

lwbfl

We have a '75 Citation 86 and belong to the Yahoo group.

norske

We used to have a 76 Bethany.  My inlaws purchased it new. It was well taken care of.  We traded it in, in 2000 for a hybrid.  Still had the original canvas.  Nothing every broke on this thing.  We took it all over the place.  

Nancy