News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

1978 Starcraft Starlite

Started by ColemanCampingFamily, Mar 20, 2008, 07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColemanCampingFamily

Anyone out there have one of these? I am going to look at one this weekend and want to know a bit about it (more than the craigslist listing is giving). I tried to google one, but the most that I found was an owners manual for either a 72ish or 81ish model.

Any input is much appreciated!!

ScouterMom

I'm not sure if mine was the same thing or not.....

I used to have a 1976 Starlette (or Starlite? I don't remember the name, exactly) What made it unusual was it's size - it was very tiny, and the beds folded out over the wheels, rather than the typical direction of over the tongue and rear bumper. (the beds were actually hollow-core folding closet doors)  the entry door was in the center of the rear bumper.

I have photos of one like it (but not my actual one)

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2902606510100639314rnImUM

this one is not in as good a shape as my old one was, but is exactly the same unit I had - colors, layout, etc.  I have paper photos of my 1976 starcraft, but not digital photos of it.

It was a great little camper, easy to handle, easy to park, easy to store - I should have kept it!

I sold it because we weren't using it much, as we were doing more tent camping with scouts.  Now my son is camping off on his own with the troop, and I got the bug to have a camper again, so I bought a 1973 Starcraft Starmaster 6.  it's about the same vintage as my old one, but twice as big. (too big to fit in my garage along with my van)

With that vintage of starcrafts - mostly you have to watch for rot along the roof sidewalls, and possibly, the floor, if water leaked in long enough.  

But if it's been taken care of, or needs just a bit of repair, they are nice units well made & and easy to work on. Parts are still available - either from standard sources, or from Starcraft, who are great at customer service - even for vintage units!

Laura

Laura

Old Starcraft

I have a 76' Stardust Swinger I just finished making road / camping ready (I have pics, but I'm a newbie to the site and haven't had the time to figure out how to post).This was my first experience in camper restoration. I agree with Scoutermom on looking out for rot around the post. Also, push in some of the metal covering on the camper to check for soft spots where rot may be hidden. My drivers side rear was so rotten the trim piece would no longer hold in place. Not a bad Temp. fix with sheet metal from Lowes. As Scoutermom said the roof too. The wood in the roof absorbs the water like a wick.

Check for general function. Since I was a newbie on campers I didn't check mine out like I should have and later found out the  owner made several Temp. fixes like clamping the pop-up cables instead of just replacing them (4 of the 5 were done this way).
I have been very happy with StarCraft in that they still support these older campers. I've ordered several items from a StarCraft dealer in S.C., and they kept them in stock! I think its just in how much work you want to put into it, and how much you want to deal with that guy..hmmm what is his name..... if I recall correctly I think his name is Manuel Labor.

Good luck !!!

IDSmiths

Quote from: ColemanCampingFamilyAnyone out there have one of these? I am going to look at one this weekend and want to know a bit about it (more than the craigslist listing is giving). I tried to google one, but the most that I found was an owners manual for either a 72ish or 81ish model.

Any input is much appreciated!!

Hope you picked up the Starcraft!

We have a 1979 Starcraft Starmate that we are "rebuilding" a few things on. We havent had it very long but it seems to have lasted pretty well considering the people who owned it before us didn't take very good care of it.

I will tell you that the customer service that I have recieved from Starcraft on this older trailer will make me look the the Starcraft brand when we are ready to purchase a newer trailer. I have called them twice once to see if I could get a copy of an owners manual, which they provided free and fast, and once more to see what the original roof materials consisted of, which they happily told me and even explained to me how the roof was originally put together.

The fact that they support there "vintage" campers makes me think they are a company I would want to do business with.

Good Luck!

M60a3tts

I have a 1984 Starlite 14. It is a single bunk popup. Here are a couple pics. Do not know if it is what you are looking for.

Matt

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/m60a3tts/ARG5/Photo0116.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb6/m60a3tts/ARG5/Photo0143.jpg