News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Any sites w/ photo of vintage PUs?

Started by bosuch, May 29, 2007, 04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bosuch

I'm trying to figure out what type of PU my family had about 25 years ago (and I'm sure it was at least 10 years old by then...), and I figure probably the only way to do so would be to see if any photos jog my memory.

It did not have a hard roof, and instead of sliding out the two bunks were hinged on the ends of the camper. After you opened them you put up so metal poles and basically had a canvas tent sitting on top of the trailer. The interior had almost no storage, and only a small dinette. No sink, etc.

Pretty vague, I know, but does that ring a bell with anyone?

Bill

Trailman

Not a lot to go on but should be fun  :D
If the bed ends were hinged it rules out quite a few.
also there were many makes that had hinged bunks right and left such as Appleby and SeWoods.
Can you verify that the beds hinged front and back as in one over the tongue and one over the rear.

wavery

Quote from: bosuchI'm trying to figure out what type of PU my family had about 25 years ago (and I'm sure it was at least 10 years old by then...), and I figure probably the only way to do so would be to see if any photos jog my memory.

It did not have a hard roof, and instead of sliding out the two bunks were hinged on the ends of the camper. After you opened them you put up so metal poles and basically had a canvas tent sitting on top of the trailer. The interior had almost no storage, and only a small dinette. No sink, etc.

Pretty vague, I know, but does that ring a bell with anyone?

Bill
Sounds like an old "Nimrod" that I had back in the 70's. :sombraro:

bosuch

Quote from: TrailmanNot a lot to go on but should be fun  :D
If the bed ends were hinged it rules out quite a few.
also there were many makes that had hinged bunks right and left such as Appleby and SeWoods.
Can you verify that the beds hinged front and back as in one over the tongue and one over the rear.

Yes, one over the front/tongue and one over the rear. When folded up, the bottoms of the bunks became the top of the closed trailer, with a seam right down the middle where they met. The tent (from what I can remember...) looked similar to that photo, except I don't think it would open... or maybe we just never opened it. Also, I'm thinking that the dinette ran a different way (the table ran the length of the camper rather than the width) but I could be mistaken.

I can't believe we don't have a single photo of the darn thing...

Bill

rosepetal

Sounds like our Appleby tent trailer!

Here is some photos.

Trailman

I immediatley thought of the Appleby trailers too but the bunks hinge on the Appleby to sides not front and back.
My 69 SeWoods bunks hinge to the side too so that rules that out, Woods did make other models like the Nimrod above but they were sliding bunks.
The Nimrod is the right configuration, were the bunks hinged or sliders on them?

Trailman

Here is an other pic of a Nimrod Riviera, same as Wavery's.

Trailman

Bosuch, this one's a long shot, found this ad on ebay, its a brochure.
The layout and features match what you described, year might be wrong though as this one would be a 1964.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/Dendrz/64RIGHTCAMPER.jpg?t=1182647904