News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

What is this thing?

Started by cameron, Aug 26, 2007, 10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameron

Hello all,

I have had this little pop-up camper for about twelve years, but just recently moved it up here to Chicago from my dad's in SW Missouri. It has spent the past ten years out in a pasture, and is in some bad need of repair.

I plan to restore it this winter, but I can find no information on it, except for a very vague VIN number plate that says A9D 00255. I can't find anything online that looks like it, does anyone recognize it?  It's any extremely basic model, and appears to be something from the 60s or 70s.

Any info regarding the type/model trailer it is would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron

More pictures of it here.

brainpause

There were a lot of homemade trailers of that era.

However, I would wager that this might be a Sears/Roebuck trailer. There are also some other trailers out there that are very similar in build.

First on your list: Take care of the running gear. Get the bearings serviced.

Oh, and WELCOME to PUT!

On edit: There are some other possibilities: Apache, Cox, Bethany. Seen any names like that (or pieces of these names) on the trailer anywhere?

Larry

Trailman

That is an Appleby camping trailer.
Nice simple and light tent trailer, well worth restoring imho.
Some early models had the door at the front, access to the camper was gained by stepping up on the tongue and some had no door, you had to step over the end wall.
That one I note has a door at the rear, I have seen various models on ebay from time to time ranging in model years from 1967 to 1970.
Not sure when they stopped making them.

cameron

Thanks Trailman,

After I started looking for "Appleby" I found all sorts of them on the net!

I can't wait to dig into this thing!

Cameron

Quote from: TrailmanThat is an Appleby camping trailer.
Nice simple and light tent trailer, well worth restoring imho.
Some early models had the door at the front, access to the camper was gained by stepping up on the tongue and some had no door, you had to step over the end wall.
That one I note has a door at the rear, I have seen various models on ebay from time to time ranging in model years from 1967 to 1970.
Not sure when they stopped making them.

Tim5055

I can't help but seeing that you may have issues with the roof.

Remove the canvas and send it to Canvass Replacements  and they can make you an exact copy - good as new - no, it is new!

TheViking

Quote from: Tim5055I can't help but seeing that you may have issues with the roof.

YOU THINK!   LOL

cameron

Really?  I was just going to put my gear in drybags and keep on that side, and sleep on the sound side.:)

C

Quote from: Tim5055I can't help but seeing that you may have issues with the roof.

Remove the canvas and send it to Canvass Replacements  and they can make you an exact copy - good as new - no, it is new!

Trailman

....or meantime you could add a solar rainfly and go camping  :D

Trailman

Cameron, if you are still watching this thread, there is an Appleby listed on ebay today.
It has the rear door but the box profile is different to yours.
One photo has the manufacturer tag address, Jefferson, Lebanon, Missouri, USA.
Here is the link.
Appleby on Ebay

cameron

Thanks Trailman,

That's are really nice looking camper, and in very good original condition. I'm going to start working on this thing this weekend.  I need to make a materials list first off.

Cameron

Quote from: TrailmanCameron, if you are still watching this thread, there is an Appleby listed on ebay today.
It has the rear door but the box profile is different to yours.
One photo has the manufacturer tag address, Jefferson, Lebanon, Missouri, USA.
Here is the link.
Appleby on Ebay

Trailman

Quote from: cameronThanks Trailman,

That's are really nice looking camper, and in very good original condition. I'm going to start working on this thing this weekend.  I need to make a materials list first off.

Cameron
It is but i think i like your older aluminum style better, takes a bit of elbow grease to polish but the results are worth it and you don't have the expense of a repaint.
Good luck with your project, please post some photos of your progress.