News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

need help quick with wiring harness

Started by shawnkfl, Mar 07, 2008, 06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnkfl

what harness do i need for my truck? is it just the 4 way connector? this is for a 1974 starcraft if it matters. i need to get a harness in the morning, and i don't know what to get.

jakelaw

Quote from: shawnkflwhat harness do i need for my truck? is it just the 4 way connector? this is for a 1974 starcraft if it matters. i need to get a harness in the morning, and i don't know what to get.

I re-wired the rectangle 6 pin on the tongue, to take a standard flat four plug  If you get a st of flat four male/female plugs at Wally World they are color coded the same as the wires on your trailer.  Not sure what the other two wires were for, other than maybe brakes or to charge the battery.  Did you get the manual off hte pop up times web site?

tlhdoc

What truck do you have?  What break controller do you have?  Did you get what you needed?  What type of wiring do you have on your trailer?

austinado16

Sort of depends on what you want to power up while towing.

If your just running brake lights, running lights, and turn signals, the flat 4 is all you need.

If you want to charge the camper's battery, run it's back up lights (if equipped), power the 12v fridge (if equipped), and run trailer brakes, a 6 or 7 pin would be the way to go.

You could always got with a 7pin on your truck, fully wired, and then buy an adapter that steps you down to a flat 4 for the camper.  Then if you want to upgrade things on the camper, your truck is already wired, you just need to cut off the flat 4 plug and step up.