News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

other 1983 rockwood owners

Started by campfireguy, Feb 26, 2008, 08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

campfireguy

hello all,
               recently, last august we bought a 1983 rockwwod 1006. it's a fixer-uper for sure. i'm doing alot of things to it and including the wardrobe that tips down for travel. mine is missing. what i'm looking for is help with it's dimensions.   and possible materials. i grew up camping in a 1980 but don't remember exactly it's make-up. it's like a time capsule for me. so if theres anyone that could help it wold be great thanks

nuttymomof2many

Sorry Campfireguy, was waiting to see if someone else had the exact dimensions for you.....
Use to have a 1980 one with the folding wardrobe you described.  Since I no longer have it, I can't give you exact dimensions.
But, from what I remember I might be able to help!

The wardrobe was on a piano hinge that allowed it to be lowered.  I would assume the measurement from front top corner to lower back corner (attached to hinge) couldn't exceed the measurement of area lowering into.  

Our coleman had a cabinet/counter across from the closet.  When lowering it had to clear the cabinet knobs.  

In the down possition, there was still a 1' (approx) area under the closet.  
In the up possition, there was a wood brace that hinged out from the bed side, and a funny shaped wood brace you inserted at where the closet met the counter side.
Sorry, it's hard to describe.  If you like, I can try to create a drawing.

I should think pressboard would work fine for this.  There was a small shelf at the top with a dowelrod underneith.
Hope this helps.
Sue

campfireguy

thanks sue,
                luckly i still have the hinge in place. and the swing hangers there too.  also have the shelf/leg or what ever it could have been called. good tips, i  was going to wing it and use the measurement from that hinge up. thing is i wanted to get a head start without haveing to get it out of storage and set it up. been to darn cold and snowy. again thanks for posting. you bringing up haveing a 1980 is what i grew up camping in. thats why i got this one. kinda like i time capsule. bring on spring.

ScouterMom

Hi CampfireGuy!

I'm originally from Waukesha, too - grew up in Brookfield and went to Brookfield East HS!  So nice to see an old 'neighbor' on the board!

I have a 1973 starcraft that i bought last year, and it had one of those wardrobes in it.  the previous owners put shelves inside, and I really couldn't see the point of it - plus we had to tear out some rear cabinets to get to some rotted flooring, so I pulled it out.  .

While the camper is in storage right now - I think that closet (or what's left of it) is stashed in my garage somewhere.  I wanted to save the hardware from it. If I can, I'll try and get some dimensions off it for you this weekend.  I'm sure it's the same type.

This is the only photo - I took it out of the camper almost immediately. It was simply a frame box (like a large box kite frame) with paneling over it.  Very light and simple.  there was a sturdy 'shelf' on the top of the door, which supported the weight of the cabinet so it hung level across the floor when the camper top was lowered. (one end was held up by the piano hinge, the other end was held up by the shelf/'leg')

they did have a pretty heavy mirror inside the door - but I don't know if that was original to the camper or an add-on.

One thing they previous owners did that DID make sense, was that they replaced the 'kitchen' side of the wardrobe with pegboard - this allowed them to put hooks in the side of it to hold things - there were a few hooks and things left in the camper when I got it.

I'll see if I can find dimensions for you. Or maybe even get some photos - but I think we took some panelling off it to patch with.

Laura

campfireguy

hello campers. heres an update. i fixed all the lights so now they all work. they were just real dirty and some bulbs needed replacing. i'm glad no fixtures needed replacing or re wireing. as far as the wardrobe i'm going to wing it. haven't built it yet but it's on the list along with the rails on the drawer cabinet.  the one thing i did discover when i had it up a couple of weeks ago. i seem sealed and scotch guarded (only one leak). so the hoops on the bed ends appear to be non-original equipment. they seem to be stretching the canvas alittle to much. so a modification is needed and i have a guy to help me with that. then i think we're well on our way. we did have a very impromptu camping trip 2 weeks ago at a beautiful state park (electric only). we had a half of a day on sat. of rain but great weekend anyways. i must add that the electric heaters performed excelent. thank goodness cause i didn't get any gas yet. well happy camping. probably going again this weekend. to our favorite private camp ground.