News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

1962 Trade Winds spends quarter-century in a barn

Started by John Madill, Sep 21, 2007, 05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Madill

i'm thinking hard about ordering a new canvas for this old Trade Winds.

i'm torn about what i should get though.  

i could just replicate what is on there.  just one small rear screen window in the back, none in front, and narrow ones on the bunk ends.

and canvas on the roof.

or i could add more windows with added vinyl windows, a vinyl roof, etc.

or just add more windows without the clear vinyl or a vinyl roof.

i'm wondering how scratched up vinyl side windows get.

thoughts and advice welcome!

afairburn

I just purchased a 1965 Tradewinds Tahiti and am so pleased with all of the history your post has uncovered.  This little trailer is in pretty good shape despite a pretty worn canvas.  We found it on Craig's List for $300.00.  I can't wait for hot summer days, campfires and smores!

James Berg

I just picked up a 1963 Tradewinds today. The vinyl is brown like in John's photos. Must be the original. Canvas is terrible, mold and torn. Shelves have 3 doors each. Broke one that was stuck   due to moisture. Has masonite shelf doors with speckled paint. Will probably paimt the inside grey. How much are new canvas tops?  Door is a zipper. Paint is oxidized from 8 years sitting in a field. Is it worth fixing up? Will change all rusted screws this fall and try to clean/patch canvas. All parts are there. Need to know how to mount the spare tire. Has a bolt but I don't know what holds it to the rim. A picture would help. Thank you and keep the old campers on the road.

John Madill

congrats, sounds like you have a lot of work to do.

my model is a little different as i have a wooden screen door instead of a zipper.

but i do have the masonite sliding doors.  they  are a bit of a pain.  i only use one on each side to contain things while on the road.  

on my trade winds the spare tire is mounted horizontally on the front tongue.

there is a bar with a threaded hole that the wheel rests on.  a metal disc wider than the opening on the center of the wheel goes on top of the wheel opening.  a bolt goes through a hole in the disc and threads into the bar beneath the wheel to hold it in place.

send me an email and i[ll send you a photo of it if you like.

johnmadill@verizon.net

a new canvas is about $850

just google pop up canvas replacement and you will find several companies.

prices are about the same for each and they typically offer $50 off in the winter.