News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Vintage Popups>>

Started by Justadad1999, Mar 25, 2007, 06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trailman

Quote from: StephAs of today, hubby and I are the proud owners of a 1971 Cox Cadet. Will post some pics as soon as I get it all shined up this weekend.
Congrats  :)  
Those cox campers look great, they have a classic look all of their own, looking forward to the camping pics  :#

1968_Skamper

I found this thread very interesting.  We currently use a 1968 Skamper.  It sleeps 8 comfortably.  It had the old stove and fridge in it, but we took that out.  We purchased it from the original owners.  It needs new canvas and screens, but we are going to use it for at least one camping trip before sending it to the shop for the canvas.   Would like to see some older Skampers on here.  I would also like to know where parts can be found for these things.

LEM

Pop up tom

We just got a 1974 coleman 7' by 11'. It needs a new lift cable and the canvas could be replaced. We can use and took it out last week for the first time and it worked great other then the cable. I am going to be replacing it here soon.

warwgn3

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here.  Trailman referred me to this forum, and told me about this thread, so I though I might post about my vintage campers.

I have a 1971 Se.Woods Adventurer that I'm in the proccess of restoring.  It's identical to Trailman's 1969 Woods trailer, but mine has a hard top, instead of a canvas top.  It sleeps 4 cramped, but 2 comfortably, and I had just finished renovating the interior with new carpet, wood panel storage cabinets, new memory foam mattresses, and matching linen.  I also just spend $817 USD on a new canvas that was installed by Bear Creek Canvas in Spencer WI, while I was on vacation.  On the outside I put in new lights, wireing, wheels & Tires. and I'm working on repainting the body to it's original colour.

Here are a couple of pics of when I got it, and what it looks like now:

Before:

After:

I got this trailer for Free from a friend of mine that was going to haul it to the dump.  When I saw it for the 1st time, I saw alot of potential in it, even though it was trah bound, so it feels good to know that I made something out of nothing.

As for my other Vintage camper, which is actuall my Dad's, it's a 1979 Lionel M-500.  it sleeps 7, has a propane furnace, stove, fridge.  It aslo has  plenty of storage, running tap water, or pump tank, and a stow away toilet.  He's had it since 1980, and was in great shape when we used it, but my parent's aren't campers anymore, so the it has sat in the back yard for over 14 years now, pretty much untouched, so Who knows what shape it's in now.

Also  I have a friend what just aquired a 1984 Viking camper for free, as a project.  And man... what a project.  Talk about rough shape.  The inside is all rotten, and it needs a new canvas, cause the mice have chewed through most of it.

pringle_ron

Hi Everyone,
We use our old popup about 30 days out of the year. It spent most of its downtime in a garage in Sea-tac, Washington until about 2 years ago. I brought it down to the Bay Area, and have been rehabbing it ever since. I put a new tent in it, and new mattresses. It's really great because its simple, pretty large when its folded out, and fairly light. I can't even tell its on the back of my Grand Cherokee except for seeing it in the rearview mirror. I guess Coleman didn't make very many of them, because I've only ever seen one other picture of one online.
I'll post some pics as soon as I find the ones I have on my hard drive.
Happy camping !
Ron Pringle
Kensington, CA

Lakjm53

We own & use a 1969 Starcraft Starmaster 8

Peter_MA

We had a 1976 Apache Ramada that I modded and restored. We sold it last week to another loving vintage enthusiast who is going to further improve it. See the link below for pictures.

warwgn3

Quote from: 1968_SkamperI found this thread very interesting.  We currently use a 1968 Skamper.  It sleeps 8 comfortably.  It had the old stove and fridge in it, but we took that out.  We purchased it from the original owners.  It needs new canvas and screens, but we are going to use it for at least one camping trip before sending it to the shop for the canvas.   Would like to see some older Skampers on here.  I would also like to know where parts can be found for these things.

LEM

Might I suggest taking a drive to Spencer WI, and have a company called Bear Creek Canvas make you a new canvas?

I went there to get my 1971 SE.Woods trailer re-canvased, and they did an outstanding job on my trailer. (as you can see by scrolling up) They gave me an exellent price too. $775 + 5.5% tax = $817 USD.  They even waved off the installation fee, because they thought I was nuts to drive 1,100 miles (1,800 kms) from Ottawa Ontario to see them.

If you can't drive to Spencer WI, you could always take the original canvas off the trailer, and mail it in, and they'll use the old one as a template, and send you the new one.

Here's their website if you need more info.. Bear Creek Canvas

Trailman

Quote from: warwgn3Might I suggest taking a drive to Spencer WI, and have a company called Bear Creek Canvas make you a new canvas?

I went there to get my 1971 SE.Woods trailer re-canvased, and they did an outstanding job on my trailer. (as you can see by scrolling up) They gave me an exellent price too. $775 + 5.5% tax = $817 USD.  They even waved off the installation fee, because they thought I was nuts to drive 1,100 miles (1,800 kms) from Ottawa Ontario to see them.

If you can't drive to Spencer WI, you could always take the original canvas off the trailer, and mail it in, and they'll use the old one as a template, and send you the new one.

Here's their website if you need more info.. Bear Creek Canvas
Welcome to the site Doug  :)
1100 miles for a new canvas  :eyecrazy:
You get the nomination for hardcore vintage restorer  :D
I bet it was a fun trip though, how long did it take them to make and fit the new canvas?
Is it the same material as the old one?

warwgn3

Quote from: TrailmanWelcome to the site Doug  :)
1100 miles for a new canvas  :eyecrazy:
You get the nomination for hardcore vintage restorer  :D
I bet it was a fun trip though, how long did it take them to make and fit the new canvas?
Is it the same material as the old one?

It took them only a few hours to have the new canvas made and fit in, and the guy there said I broke the record for longest distance traveled for a drop off.

After my campout in Hell, MI  I drove to my friends house in Janesville WI on Sunday, stayed the night, and drove to Spencer WI to drop off the trailer, and went back to Janesville, stayed for the week, and went back to Spencer on Friday to pick up the trailer, and drove home.

Funrover

Yup... I have and love my vintage!!  It is a 1971 Cox Conestoga!!

Trailman

Quote from: AustinBostonI totally forgot about this camper, which I posted about just a couple weeks ago.  Not as old as the one Starcraft Dad posted about, but a beautifully restored one:

http://www.arveeclub.com/showthread.php?t=61960

Austin
That is an A.J.Higgins, they are quite rare as they only made them a few years 1946 to 1948, maybe 1949.
A.J.Higgins the famous WW2 businessman boat builder, he built the famous World war 2 landing craft and the fast torpedo boats.
His contribution to the war effort with swift production methods and clever designs was huge.
After the war ended he tried to keep his workforce in work despite the recession.
He tried several endevours, beautifully crafted speedboats and the aluminum  bodied tent trailers to name a few, unfortunately his company folded before the recession ended.
A lot of people mistake the A.J.Higgins trailers for the namesake Higgins (a fictitious name partly named after a Sears employee) series of camping equipment sold by the Sears catalog company which came along many years later and had no links to the A.J.Higgins campers.

http://nutrias.org/monthly/june2000/june0013.htm

badbrad

Im camping regularly in my camper, I bring a stitcher and canvas and tools to repair whilst camping.
It's a solid old beast, I'm keeping it for a while and updating the crap out of it,  one trip at a time.

Trailman

Quote from: badbradIm camping regularly in my camper, I bring a stitcher and canvas and tools to repair whilst camping.
It's a solid old beast, I'm keeping it for a while and updating the crap out of it,  one trip at a time.
What make model year is your camper?  :W

bak1982

I own a 1971 Bethany pop up.  i'm looking to restore it, just haven't found anywhere to get some new canvas for it.  It has all of the original interior.  Love the brown and orange flower material.  
I have owned the camper for 3 years now.  It was given to me by my uncle for a very strange reason.  The camper and i share names.