News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Vintage Popups>>

Started by Justadad1999, Mar 25, 2007, 06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruceg

Hey sheains20, it looks like you did a great job sewing the canvas for your Ramada! I have a '66 Apache Eagle and I've asked my wife for sewing lessons. I'd like to make new mattresses (with the vinyl backing, cloth top) and redo the canvas and screens.

Hope to take out the sewing machine and try at least a small project. (I won't give up my man card, though)

Cool looking vintage popups! Hoping to get mine in camping shape for the spring.

rsgault

Have an 82 Coleman Redwood that we are in the process of restoring.

popupdeejay

I just bought a 1970 Skamper.  Of course, there are no instructions, etc.  I am curious what the correct way to open the camper is, so that I do not screw up the arms. :confused:

ceezz

i have a 1971 puma trailstar,inside is in great shape.just used it for the first time.

SheBantam

Just got it yesterday, will go into the shop next week to grease the wheel bearings.  Previous owner only had it a month or so, his wife wanted a hard side.  He had the AC fixed (No stock I am sure), and put in new gas lines.  The stove is stationary (pooh!!), there is a "pantry" that has to be lifted into place, that is going into the shed.  Someone built more storage on top of the credenza. The fridge looks original. the vent has been sealed shut, the roof has had rubber painted on it, and is cracking.  It has no battery and the dealer/shop is going to look at it to see if the converter will work with a battery (or visa versa).  The tag with the VIN is missing and DE MTRV told me to bring it back on Wed and the guys who have computers will be there to run the VIN and possibly put on a metal tag with the info that is now lost.  
Cushions are OK the colors are definitly 1970's, reds and oranges.

This one is our dry camping trailer, will be moving the dry camping stuff from the Bantam to the Jayco.  The Cabin A is perfect for one and the Bantam is the family camper... this Jayco has 2 Full sized bunk ends and the table.  so it is good for 2.

Family Man

I recently came across a 1971 Appleby Tent trailer that I traded some junk sitting in the garage for that may have been worth $100. The guy I got it from didn't even know how to set up the tent. I am in the process of trying to get it back on the road in a week... I started last night by un-bolting the box from the frame, and have stripped the frame so I can paint, re-wire, and add another brace. I can't find much about the Appleby. If anyone has any information on the Appleby Tent Trailers, it would be much appreciated. I will try to get some pictures posted of what all I am doing.

popupdeejay

1970 Skamper geared up for parking lot music for car shows, etc.!  Still has the sink!  New arms, new lights - so far, so good!

basmith

We bought an 1969? Cox tent trailer (8' box) last year. The canvas was in excellent condition.  We completly refurbished it inside and out.  It came out awesome! We're going out in it in a couple of weeks.   I would recommend this experience for anyone who loves to bring old campers back.  What a great project!

afairburn

We just purchased a 1965 Tradewinds Tahiti camper.  It's a little guy with lots of personality and history.

brainpause

Quote from: afairburn;206925We just purchased a 1965 Tradewinds Tahiti camper.  It's a little guy with lots of personality and history.

Would love to see pics of it.

Larry

rdaniel911

We have a 74 Apache Ramada, we have refurbished, and we love it. Have serveral trips under our belt including ft wilderness at Disney.

John Madill

i have a 1962 Trade Winds, but not sure of the model.

i bought this one in the fall of 2007 for $350.  tinkered with it that fall and all last year.

replaced a lot of rusty fasteners.  those i couldn't replace i sanded and painted.

painted the inside, painted exterior parts that had been factory-painted, and cleaned up everything else.  

the canvas is still serviceable.  just put it back on a couple days ago and took these photos.

i will use it for the first time in a few weeks.

thanks

john

AZCAMPPINAL

This thread is very cool, I grew up in Ill. and my parents bought an Apache Popup in the mid 60's. I almost bought a Coleman Colorado in the 70'. One of the main reasons I bought my Quicksilver, basic and a softtop.

Tall Tom

I have a Wheel Camper purchased by my Dad in 1968 so we could drive to Hemisphere '68 (mini-worlds Fair) in San Antonio. It been in continual use since.  While not my primary camper now, I still use it several times every year for hunting trips.  Its been a great camper.  Broke the axel 2 years ago on a trip to Colorado, but fixed it and continued on.  It has been across the US coast to coast 4 times, to the Rockies 20 times.  Probally has 200,000 miles on it, with more to come. Of course, it looks like it too and I haven't made any improvements to it or repairs, except where mice have eaten holes in the canvas.  Only the original stove still works, but it beats sleeping on the ground and its easy to set up and take down.

Family Man

How does a 1971 Appleby grab ya? I have customized the heck out of it, and I still have alot that i want to do to it. I added A/C, New flooring, PVC shelves, and I am in the process of extending one of the bunks to a full or queen size bunk. We use ours regularly and love it. It does get a little crowded on those rainy days, but we love it. We have made it very comfortable. Here are some pictures.  

http://community.webshots.com/user/BamaCamper?vhost=community