News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

My 1971 Cox Conestoga

Started by Funrover, May 18, 2007, 01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funrover

Well I have had this camper for around 5 years or so now..... after 4 years of use it was time to rebuild.. Last summer I did just that, and it is much better.... However I need to redo the roof again  before this summer starts....

Well here are a few pics...not the best.. I will take more soon!
Originally

Some of the teardown

Don't have the bare frame pic....

Now for the rebuild

Here are some after complete shots

My3buicks

WOW! ! !  Now that's rebuilding one!!!!

Very nice, neat design.

ScouterMom

Saw your post about the roof rebuild not working under the 'mr. fix it'  forum - searched out your other posts to find this....

Great Camper!  tho I've never heard of a 'Cox conestoga' - there were quite a few built in that era that were built well enough to last or re-build - yours is obviously one of those.  

I'm working on a 73 Starcraft Starmaster 6.  we did re-do some of the roof before our first trip last weekend; one wall of the roof was literally 'mush' it was rotted away so badly.  the rest was still holding together, some with no rot at all.  Still, we will probably replace the other three sides sometime this summer.

I'm surprised, tho - with the obvious skill you have in rebuilding the rest of your camper, why do you call the roof a 'failure'? what isn't working?  

I'm wondering if you re-used the exterior shell on your camper (looks like you did) are you having trouble with the lid? ios it aluminum or fiber glass?

There's another PUPer on this board - Hunt4fun - who has done a total re-build of his similar vintage starcraft - I think all he re-used were the frame and hardware.... but he re-built his roof - perhaps if you look him up, he would have some tips for you.  Looking thru his albums sure gave me some good ideas!

good luck, and if I can offer any advice, I'd be happy to help

laura

Funrover

Quote from: ScouterMomSaw your post about the roof rebuild not working under the 'mr. fix it'  forum - searched out your other posts to find this....

Great Camper!  tho I've never heard of a 'Cox conestoga' - there were quite a few built in that era that were built well enough to last or re-build - yours is obviously one of those.  

I'm working on a 73 Starcraft Starmaster 6.  we did re-do some of the roof before our first trip last weekend; one wall of the roof was literally 'mush' it was rotted away so badly.  the rest was still holding together, some with no rot at all.  Still, we will probably replace the other three sides sometime this summer.

I'm surprised, tho - with the obvious skill you have in rebuilding the rest of your camper, why do you call the roof a 'failure'? what isn't working?  

I'm wondering if you re-used the exterior shell on your camper (looks like you did) are you having trouble with the lid? ios it aluminum or fiber glass?

There's another PUPer on this board - Hunt4fun - who has done a total re-build of his similar vintage starcraft - I think all he re-used were the frame and hardware.... but he re-built his roof - perhaps if you look him up, he would have some tips for you.  Looking thru his albums sure gave me some good ideas!

good luck, and if I can offer any advice, I'd be happy to help

laura

Well the problem was that the old roof was so bad I was unable to reuse any part of it...... What I was able to do was talk a local camper shop out of an warrenty roof(had a slight chip in the corner, no real damage) I removed the old damage, re fiberglassed the roof built up a frame etc.... The problem is that it doesn't seal when closed, so I have to tarp my  camper to drive....   I have ideas for a new one....but was curious to see what others have done!!

Funrover

Still to go... finish off all interior wood work(so it is all the same), Install the radion system, put on a 5" lift(so it is level with tow rig, and better off road)

ScouterMom

how far 'off'  is it? would you be able to put a wide gasket-type seal on it? or would you actually have to cut it down some?

Does it completely overlap the bottom like a box lid? or just not meet exactly?

laura

Funrover

Quote from: ScouterMomhow far 'off'  is it? would you be able to put a wide gasket-type seal on it? or would you actually have to cut it down some?

Does it completely overlap the bottom like a box lid? or just not meet exactly?

laura

Well it needs to be completely redone...but I think I am gonna use marine plywood and build up a new roof instead of trying to graph a roof from a new coleman onto  my old conestoga..

Trailman

Is the roof ABS or fibreglass?
A fibreglass repair will not last long on an ABS plastic but there is a way to repair ABS plastic using a solution of MEK and ABS chips, the finished repair can be sanded and painted and if done right is as good as new.

Funrover

Quote from: TrailmanIs the roof ABS or fibreglass?
A fibreglass repair will not last long on an ABS plastic but there is a way to repair ABS plastic using a solution of MEK and ABS chips, the finished repair can be sanded and painted and if done right is as good as new.

It is a ABS from a newer Coleman..... but it was a temporary thing....  no worries!

Trailman

Quote from: FunroverIt is a ABS from a newer Coleman..... but it was a temporary thing....  no worries!
The pics look great, those campers are so neat, all the Cox camper models have a great vintage style all of their own.
Was the original road-cover ABS?
Do you still have it?
ABS is lighter than fibreglass so repairing that road-cover would be the way to go imo.
Here is a link from the Apache popups website on the permanent ABS repair.
Permanent ABS repair

Funrover

Quote from: TrailmanThe pics look great, those campers are so neat, all the Cox camper models have a great vintage style all of their own.
Was the original road-cover ABS?
Do you still have it?
ABS is lighter than fibreglass so repairing that road-cover would be the way to go imo.
Here is a link from the Apache popups website on the permanent ABS repair.
Permanent ABS repair

No original left unfortunatly  Where can I find more info on the Cox line up?

Trailman

Quote from: FunroverNo original left unfortunatly  Where can I find more info on the Cox line up?
I can't find any history on the Marque but i do have photos that i save when i find them on the net, the model years vary from 1965 to 1975 and in one pic is a sticker that says "Cox Campers, Grifton, North Carolina".
All of the pics show soft top models, some with bunks right and left and some front and back like yours.
Your camper is the first i have seen with the hard top.

Funrover

Quote from: TrailmanI can't find any history on the Marque but i do have photos that i save when i find them on the net, the model years vary from 1965 to 1975 and in one pic is a sticker that says "Cox Campers, Grifton, North Carolina".
All of the pics show soft top models, some with bunks right and left and some front and back like yours.
Your camper is the first i have seen with the hard top.

Thus is my problem.....  I can find the %100 soft ones... but just like you, mine is the only hard top..... Thanks for trying though!

Trailman

Quote from: FunroverThus is my problem.....  I can find the %100 soft ones... but just like you, mine is the only hard top..... Thanks for trying though!
I found a pic on ebay of a hardtop model, its a 76 but has a different style of canvas on the bed-ends than your camper, still has that little awning idea over the bed end windows though.

Funrover

Quote from: TrailmanI found a pic on ebay of a hardtop model, its a 76 but has a different style of canvas on the bed-ends than your camper, still has that little awning idea over the bed end windows though.

That's pretty cool.. is it gone?