News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Looking of info on Sears camper/trailer

Started by PatB, Apr 18, 2008, 10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatB

I grew up camping with our family in a small Sears camper/trailer. It was basically a camper where the canvas top was removable in case you just wanted to use it as a trailer. It must have been built in the early 1970's and was a simple box with no utilities.

I've been trying to find some websites with information on that model but haven't had any luck. It appears that the camper may have been made by another company and I probably won't have much luck finding anything unless I know what that other company may be.

Anyone with any knowledge of these PUPs? Thanks so much.

Trailman

A number of of companies made trailer for Sears, Vesely and wards are 2 that I can think of but there were many more.
I have some blurb and photos.

PatB

Thanks for the information. It does seem like there were a few manufacturers of these units and that's why it's so difficult to find any info. My Dad has some old slides somewhere and I'll post some photos once I get them.

Many of the catalog shots I've seen like yours shows the add-a-room set up and that blocks the view of the camper itself in the illustration.

Trailman

Yes please post any pics you have, it would be great to see them.
when I first read your post I thought of the Heilite trailers as they had the design where you could lift off the canvas tent assembly and use the trailer as a utility, not sure if they ever made a camper for sears.
The Vesely company made some for Sears but only in the late 1950's, they were I believe marketed under the Sears J.C.Higgins brand name for a short time before Vesely marketed their own campers under the Apache name.

Trailman

Here is another pic of a camper in an old Sears catalog, one of many designs common to the time with the bunks right and left.
I have no idea who made it.

PatB

My Dad just found some old photos. I'll get them uploaded soon.

None of the catalog shots are of our camper. My Dad said that ours was a 1965 version and cost about $800. Thanks!

Trailman

Quote from: PatBMy Dad just found some old photos. I'll get them uploaded soon.

None of the catalog shots are of our camper. My Dad said that ours was a 1965 version and cost about $800. Thanks!
Looking forward to seeing the photos  :)
I couldn't find any for 1965 but have this one for 1966.

PatB

Finally got a picture of it. It's much wider than I remembered myself. There was an add-a-room attachment that my Dad bought that could be attached to the front door that is in the front view of this photo.

Trailman

Nice photo Pat.
I have some photos of a similar model that was on ebay once, it also was listed as a 66 Sears, same shape as that one but no Sears badges on door and it has 4 tail-lights, i will post them later.
What is the signature below the Sears name?
Can't quite make it out in the photo.
Is it Ted Williams or JC Higgins?

PatB

I can't quite make it out myself but I think it just says "Camper". I'm trying to find out what the Sears branding was on this. It's just interesting that I can't find any photos of it anywhere on the Internet.

Trailman

Quote from: PatBI can't quite make it out myself but I think it just says "Camper". I'm trying to find out what the Sears branding was on this. It's just interesting that I can't find any photos of it anywhere on the Internet.
It's difficult to find info on them, maybe because there were so many camper manufacturers that bid and won the contract for each year, if a person had one of each model/year they would have a viable museum display  :)  
Here is the pics of a 66 Sears that was on ebay a few years back.
It looks somewhat similar in shape/styling to your Dad's but with 4 tail-lights.

PatB

Yes, that's very similar. The canvas top looks identical. I still remember my Dad used to tell us to not touch the canvas whenever it rained- that would open up a spot where the water would then drip through. Made it a little difficult to sleep on the outside bunk edge where your sleeping bag would touch the canvas.

The orange colored mattresses appear identical too. It would be neat to know the complete lineage of who built these each year.

Trailman

Quote from: PatBYes, that's very similar. The canvas top looks identical. I still remember my Dad used to tell us to not touch the canvas whenever it rained- that would open up a spot where the water would then drip through. Made it a little difficult to sleep on the outside bunk edge where your sleeping bag would touch the canvas.

The orange colored mattresses appear identical too. It would be neat to know the complete lineage of who built these each year.
It could have been Wards but that's just a guess, the canvas style does look like a Vesely (Apache) but again they were only supposed to have made campers for Sears in the very early days before they set up their own marketing.
On Topic there is a Sears camper on Ebay at the minute.
This one is undoubtable a Vesely,maybe a 1957, this design was later marketed by Vesely as the Apache Chief.
Note there are no Vesely markings on the trailer only Sears insignia.

PatB

Thanks for all the valuable information. I'm going to keep checking Ebay to see if I can piece together more history of this camper.

nineoaks2004

The first PU that I owned was a Sears, 1 wheel, the wheel swivled around, the front clamped to the bumper in two places, easiest thing in the world to back up. I was huge when opened, the tent was made of a real heavy canvass. It had a large room on the side, and the top unfolded on each side to make a bed. The wheel finally gave up the ghost and I could never find a replacement for the whell or bearings.