News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

My Appleby Adventure

Started by cameron, Apr 22, 2008, 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameron

Well, I finally started digging into my worn out Appleby tent on wheels, and this is all that is left:

No, I'm just kidding, but I have started tearing it down to replace the decking.

I'm a little concerned about how much I should invest in this thing.  The replacement canvas by itself is $600-$700 which is way more than the camper will probably ever be worth.  Any input from you guys on what would be a fair investment into a trailer like this?

Pretty fun little project so far, but I need to get a plan before I can go much further.

cameron

Trailman

Nice project, hope to see the finished pics soon.

As you stated the big ticket item is the canvas.
Next most expensive item is new mattresses.
New wheels bearings and tires are inexpensive, wiring should be checked over.
The good news is these campers are so simple there is not a lot of places to spend money on after that.
They are fun and they can be towed economically with a smaller vehicle.
I would hope with new canvas that $1000 would do it, if you need new mattresses try an RV dealer for used or left overs, might save a few bucks there.
I have found that my vintage campers are worth more to me than if I tried to sell them, I doubt I would get my money back on any of them, with the rising gas prices the little tent trailers should makea comeback but who can say.
Most people don't seem to want to go above the cost of the canvas when they make an offer, only those of us that have worked on these little treasures and use them truly appreciate them  :!

cameron

Hi Trailman,

Thanks for the input.

Your about right with the budget. I have this project costing
Plywood   3 sheets   $150.00
Foam   2 3"x46"x75"   $150.00
Replacement Canvas   $795.00
Misc Hardware      $50.00
      $1,145.00
That doesn't include wheel bearings or paint for the frame and wheels.

I need to get the order in for the canvas soon, there is a 6 week turn around on it and I'd like to have this thing up and camping by June.

Last night I drilled out the rivets of the floorboard and removed it.  Would you have any recommendations on what to use to fasten the new floorboard in? carriage bolts, rivets?

I'll post more pictures of the progress soon.

Thanks again for the input.

Trailman

I have to replace the floor on my Apache Eagle, I will use bolts, the frame on it is not as robust looking as the Appleby frame in your photo, it has an "X" frame that bolts to the plywood floor.
From what info I gleaned from the Apache forum, marine plywood is best with a good sealer and also not to paint or seal the underside of the plywood as it traps moisture in the wood.

John Madill

Hi Cameron

i'm in the same boat with my 1962 Trade Winds i bought last fall.

i'm not keeping careful track of things, just bought paint for the inside to match the original, new tail lights that look like the originals too.  i'm also going to invest in three new tires.

the canvas is in good shape for the age.  i'm going to spruce things up and then use it with the original canvas this season.

if i really like it and plan to keep it long term i will get a new canvas.

but i don't expect to recover the cost of that new canvas should i sell it.

i paid $350 for it and fixed up it may be worth $700 but i know that if i add $750 in canvas i am not going to raise the value significantly.

mine came with two foam mattresses, about 4'x6.5', very comfortable.

but i don't plan on using them.  so big and really big sponges should water get in.  the top is hinged on both sides and meets in the middle and i doubt it is very water tight.

so the mattresses are in the shed and i bought a very nice 30" wide mattress covered with a removeable cotton cover from Cabela's and will just toss it in the camper when i head out each time.

cameron

Quote from: TrailmanI have to replace the floor on my Apache Eagle, I will use bolts, the frame on it is not as robust looking as the Appleby frame in your photo, it has an "X" frame that bolts to the plywood floor.
From what info I gleaned from the Apache forum, marine plywood is best with a good sealer and also not to paint or seal the underside of the plywood as it traps moisture in the wood.

I thought I would use bolts as well.  I have read marine plywood is the way to go, but for $150 a sheet I think I'll opt for AC plywood instead.  It's funny they say not to seal the bottom side?  I was going to seal the crap out of all 6 sides on all 3 sheets!  I guess I'll rethink that now?

cameron

Quote from: John MadillHi Cameron

i'm in the same boat with my 1962 Trade Winds i bought last fall.

i'm not keeping careful track of things, just bought paint for the inside to match the original, new tail lights that look like the originals too.  i'm also going to invest in three new tires.

the canvas is in good shape for the age.  i'm going to spruce things up and then use it with the original canvas this season.

if i really like it and plan to keep it long term i will get a new canvas.

but i don't expect to recover the cost of that new canvas should i sell it.

i paid $350 for it and fixed up it may be worth $700 but i know that if i add $750 in canvas i am not going to raise the value significantly.

mine came with two foam mattresses, about 4'x6.5', very comfortable.

but i don't plan on using them.  so big and really big sponges should water get in.  the top is hinged on both sides and meets in the middle and i doubt it is very water tight.

so the mattresses are in the shed and i bought a very nice 30" wide mattress covered with a removeable cotton cover from Cabela's and will just toss it in the camper when i head out each time.

Hi John,

I wish the canvas on this thing was salvageable, so that I could camp for a season, before deciding on whether to invest in a new canvas.  As it stands, I have to commit whole heartedly right off the bat.  I'm going shopping for plywood this weekend and I'll have to pitch my plan to the mrs. one more time and get the official "green light" and then I'll order up the canvas.

As for mattresses, I've found a URL=http://www.foamdirect.com/]website[/URL] that you can order custom cut foam.  I'm not too worried about them getting wet because I'm going to try and keep the mattress and canvas stored indoors.  

time will tell.

John Madill

Hi Cameron

Well George Bush will be sending you a check for the new canvas you need in just a few weeks.  

He wants you to spend it, not save it or pay bills with it.

My economy-boosting stimulus check is buying airfare and four nights in Reno.

Honestly, I don't think i will even store the canvas in the camper.  i will keep it in a big plastic storage bin in the shed.

i used to have an old starcraft.  the crank-up vent on the roof leaked at some time while it was folded up and i got a lot of mildew.  i don't want that to happen, especially if i get a new one.

on my Trade Winds it just drapes over the framework so it shouldn't add too much to set-up time.

cameron

OEM Green

or Tan

The time has come to order a new canvas.  I'm leaning to Tan, but kinda like the old fashion look of the original green.

tell me what you think.

mbrickell

Cameron,

I have been working on a similar project.

I decided to make my Appleby super stout, and did not want to disturb too many of the factory rivets for fear of never getting things aligned again.  I removed the camper from the frame and mounted the whole thing on a new base of 3/4" outdoor grade plywood.  Then I redid the interior floor.  The floor is now another layer thick, probably added a little weight but no biggie.

One thing I wanted to mention to you that seems to be common on the Applebys and was on mine that you might want to look real close at.  At the front of the frame, right where it bends from straight to going inward to eventually make the hitch end, check real close on the underside of the C-channel for stress fractures.  I found them on mine.  This area is not reinforced properly from the factory and cracks from going down the road, all the stress surfaces there at that bend at the front end of the camper box/frame.  I had a local welding shop reinforce this for about $50 and it made a world of difference.  Just an FYI.  A 40-year old frame with hairline cracks bouncing down the road at 60mph is a little shaky.  I just happened across mine.  If I were you, I'd preemptively have the area welded, just a little triangle brace there at that area.  I can get you pics of mine sometime if you like.

Your canvas is rough but fixable.  I found a repair kit online with 1 square yard of matching light green canvas and adhesive for $30 or so.  You can patch a lot with a whole yard.  With 2 yards, you could probably fix yours pretty good and save $600 or 700.  Might not be a looker, but hey.  Just an idea.  A new canvas is appealing.  Really, though, you can buy a whole other Appleby with great canvas for less than that.  I found one locally today for $400 with super good canvas, I passed because my canvas is not that bad and I could not justify it, but I'd sure look for something like that for $300 or $400, keep the good canvas, sell the body and your old canvas for $200-300 and you have a great usable canvas for a couple hundred bucks.  Just a thought...

mbrickell

There is a guy up near Lincoln or Beatrice Nebraska who is into Appleby campers and knows a fair bit about them.  Here is a pretty basic site but full of some good pics of Appleby variations that might be useful...

http://incolor.inebraska.com/elassley_bie/appleby/appleby.html

cameron

Update

When my wife found out how much I was going be spending for a new canvas, the s*** hit the fan, so like all things lately a compromise was needed.

Plan B:
I'm in the process of finding a canvas shop in the area that can repair the bad spots for a reasonable price.

Plan C:
I have found several places online that sell Sunforger Tent Canvas to do the repair myself, but I have not been able to find Pearl Green in large pieces. Does anyone know where I can get the green?

The Tub and Chassis
I have striped the tub completely and have removed the riveted flange pieces that go around the perimeter of the plywood.  I have ordered CPES to treat the new plywood, but it's on backorder, so it will be a week or so before I can treat the ply for installation.

The chassis appears to be in very good shape, and I have seen no signs of stress cracks as one poster on here warned.  I am going to add trailer fenders to help protect the new plywood underside and possibly additional support to the chassis in the form of 1" square tubing.

My goal for completion is mid-June,  perhaps I'll finish sooner if I can get the top repaired promptly.

I'll try to post more pictures of the progress soon.

cameron

mbrickell

Here is what you need:

http://www.idahocanvas.com/id154_val_a_mender_patch_kit.htm

I got this myself and am just waiting to find time to do the repair.  It comes with one square yard of canvas in your choice of color and fabric adhesive.  Instructions on the adhesive in German as well as English, I usually deem this a good sign as the German chemicals are typically top notch.

The light green I got matches my Appleby pretty well.  You can repair a lot with a whole yard, or get two yards.  A lot cheaper than new canvas.

mbrickell

You might find this useful as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0005871513996a.shtml

Use a small garden sprayer to apply.

mbrickell

Update for you:

My canvas has numerous holes.  I ordered a one yard replacement piece and got some Marine Goop at a local hardware store.  Adhered the patches with goop and sealed the edges with a small stiff brush.  Dried.  This after applying Canvak to the canvas and drying in the sun.

Went to a car show in Kansas over Mem day weekend, in the middle of the night a huge thunder/lightning/rain storm.  Heavy wind, just crazy.  Rained cats and dogs.  

To our amazement, NO water inside, NO leaks.  Unbelievable.

Lesson learned:  new canvas for $800 or $900 is cosmetic.  Almost anything can be repaired with patch material and Marine Goop from a functional standpoint, for less than 1/10 the cost of new canvas.  

FYI for anyone else with an old Appleby with canvas issues.

By the way, the Marine Goop works FAR better than the latex-based patch adhesive you get with the patch kit.  No comparison.