News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Ward's Western Field Care Free Tent Trailer

Started by LarryD, Jul 14, 2008, 08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryD

Due to high gas prices, I had been searching for a small trailer to pull behind a Toyota  Corolla to use on a trip to Washington State, vs. towing my 71 Airstream 21 Globetrotter behind my Chev. Trailblazer.  As I live in Texas, land of the Airconditioner, very few basic tent campers were sold, even in the 60's and 70's. I searched for Apache Eagles, but found most are in the Midwest I found and purchased a 1969 Ward's Care Free tent trailer, which is in original, excellent condition, with original canvas, forest green body. The trailer was purchased new in Ohio, and has always been garaged, unused for the past 12 years.  The box is roughly 48" by 72" by 16", plus a 38" tongue.  The tent is erected over a metal tube frame, with two foldouts.  It is very similiar to presently manufactured motorcycle trailers and I estimate it weighs about 450 lbs.  It was manufactured by Ajax manufacuring Co, Ft Madison, Iowa.  I have never seen a tent trailer like this one and wonder if they were common.  Does anyone know anything know anything about Ajax?  The bottom of one bed serves as the cap.  Did this trailer come equipped or could it be equipped with a vinyl cover, since it would likely leak if constantly exposed to the weather? I have purchased 3 new wheels and tires, will replace the matresses and will be ready to go.  
Larry Watkins /Mesquite, tx

Trailman

Congrats on finding your tent trailer, the rising gas prices do indeed make these little trailers even more valuble and usable.
I know Western Field was the trade name for a range of products marketed in the Montgomery Wards and later renamed Wards catalogs, items ranged from sporting goods to caming gear, shotguns etc.
Like Sears with their JC higgins line the manufacture of the items went out to tender each year so there probably would have neen different manufacturers over the years.
I have seen some with slide out bunks and I think the later models had fold out bunks.
Do you have any photographs of the trailer?

74 Montgomery

Larry,

I just came accross your posting.  I joined this group when I found my 1974 Montgomery from the original owner; this past weekend I once again came accross a 1975 Western Field which I purchased.  I will try and get photos put up some time next week.  They are great little units. I will eventually just keep one of them, they are both in decent shape.

Information is real hard to get hold of as well and I found an adverstisement from an old Montgomery Wards Catalog that I will try and get posted as well.