News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

1976 Starcraft Galaxy 6 - what is fair price?

Started by llamahed, Mar 11, 2009, 11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llamahed

I am looking to purchase our first PUP.  
Found a listing for this trailer in Excellent condition, garage stored.  Asking price is $2299.

It seems high to me for a trailer this old - but I'm a newbie.

What is a fair price???    
Are these trailers difficult to maintain?
Would we have a problem towing with our 04 Isuzu Rodeo (tow rating to 4500lbs)?

Many thanks for your input!

~Aileen

Jim K in PA

Welcome to PUT llamahed!

Is it this one? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/rvs/1069385594.html

It looks clean, but pictures can be deceiving.  If it is in as good shape as claimed, it is certainly worth considering.  As far as price, it depends on what it is worth to YOU!  I have seen newer campers with more features sell for less, but that does not mean this one is not worth the asking price, or at least a reasonable offer near it.  Once you start looking at other pop ups in the sub-$2000 price range, you will see quite a lot of "rough" campers for sale.  

Best of luck.

ScouterMom

I have a 1973 Starcraft of much the same size, and amenities.  Mine was in considerably worse shape than that one and I probably overpaid for it at $400. That one is in amazingly great shape, but I'd still think that $2000 for a 30+ yr old camper was alot of money.  Some things 'wear' even if they aren't used and garage kept, so I would look it over very carefully.  

Some other things to look at and consider -
I've had two 70's starcraft pups myself and seen alot of them - they are fairly common (though not usually this nice) and I've seldom seen one of that age that didn't have some kind of wood deterioration. The wood on these pups is very light and even if it didn't leak somewhere in the roof (most do) the wood can dry rot just from age. Make sure the wood around the roof box is firm - it should be solid at all corners and where the posts attach to the roof, and look under the floor - don't be afraid to 'poke' at it with finger or a screwdriver tip.

Take a look at the propane hoses and tires - rubber dries out after a long time. make sure he's traded out the old-style propane tanks for ones with the newer safety valves.

A new canvas would cost upwards of $800 - so if the canvas is in really good shape - no tears, stains, or loose seams - that's great.  Canvas CAN last a long time if cared for and kept dry - it could be about half the value of a camper that age (or more)

Every 70's camper I've seen had single or double bed bunks.  that means, for a 'double' - 48" to 54" wide and abut 64" long (as wide as the box).  Newer campers  (mid '80's?and newer) often had options for Queen and King bunks - at least on one end.  On a hot, sticky summer night,  50" of shared bed might not make for a restful night.

the mattresses of any older camper are usually just a few inches of foam.  my 70's starcrafts had 2" mattresses.  the bunkend canvas comes down to about a 14" (guess) wall on the outside - which doesn't leave much room for adding thicker foam and bedding - or spreading out and being able to rollover if two peple sleep in the bunk and one is close to the outside.  80's and 90's campers mostly seem to have taller tent endwalls, or 'shepherds crook' supports that give you  more clearance over the beds.

I'm not knocking the older campers - I love mine - but I sometimes wish for a few of the features of the newer PUPS - like the bigger beds.

wavery

Quote from: llamahedI am looking to purchase our first PUP.  
Found a listing for this trailer in Excellent condition, garage stored.  Asking price is $2299.

It seems high to me for a trailer this old - but I'm a newbie.

What is a fair price???    
Are these trailers difficult to maintain?
Would we have a problem towing with our 04 Isuzu Rodeo (tow rating to 4500lbs)?

Many thanks for your input!

~Aileen
The guy is dreaming.

I agree.......you're asking for a lot of upkeep on a 33-yr old trailer. :(

I'd say $1200-1500 tops....and only if the canvas has been replaced, the tires are less than 2 years old, he has proof that the wheel brgs have been packed recently, the propane tanks are the new style, and everything works. Even then, you may be looking a re-upholstering and replacing all of the cushions soon (very expensive). You can't expect fabric and foam rubber to last much longer than 30 years. 30-years is really pushing it.

Keep your witts about you and you will pick up a PU less than 15 years-old (maybe, with no AC) with a working fridge for that price.

John Madill

that's more than twice what i think it should be.

if you keep an eye on craigs list you will find people with 2002 or 2003 basic pop ups as low as $2,500.

they probably won't have a furnace or three-way fridge but they will be a lot more reliable than something from the 70's.

having said that, i have to admit that i own a 1962 pop up.  but i only paid $350 for it and since it is REALLY vintage it should easily hold it's value.

with the economy the way it is now there are bargains to be found in boats and campers.  keep looking.

ScouterMom

Wavery -

I like # 2 on your list - that slide-out kitchen reminds me of the 'swinger' 70's Starcraft model - but a much better design.  Too bad California is no where near Illinois......