News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Recent posts

General / Where is Gone Camping?
Last post by 4Campers - May 09, 2024, 08:31 AM
Checking up on you Cliff. Haven't heard from you in a while.
Assume you're up the coast by now?
The Campfire / Re: Sad Decision has been Made
Last post by toomanytents - May 06, 2024, 06:00 PM
We've had to be creative and flexible to find a cabin.  State parks have some, but I have not been able to get an open reservation yet in one super popular state park.  Some of the county parks have good cabins.  Some private campgrounds also have them and some of those are reasonably priced.  It's hit or miss.  We're trying it this year and seeing what we think.  We have all the stuff we need (as long as the chief-packer remembers to pack the coffee maker).
Last post by 4Campers - May 05, 2024, 07:44 AM
We haven't even begun to think camping. Too much going on.
Good to hear the cabin and yurt camping is going well. Only a few parks have them near us. One park tore most of their cabins down a few years ago and never replaced them. The state park we like has one cabin and it's probably reserved for every weekend all summer already. I'm sure we'll figure something out or else our cabin might be named Holiday Inn.
Glad I didn't toss our ice bottles out!
Last post by toomanytents - May 04, 2024, 06:27 PM
We have now tried camping in "deluxe" cabins & yurts twice at state & county parks and have another trip booked.  "deluxe" meaning it has a bathroom & kitchen inside.  Inside bathroom is a must for DW these days and I don't complain.

Drawback - there are not as many cabins/yurts as there are campsites.
Bonus - it's working out well and it's easier.  We had everything we need from the trailer & tent camping days.  With some re-thinking & re-organization, everything is packed in a set of storage bins that we already had on a set of shelves in the garage.  Throw the bins in the suv, add a cooler of food and clothes and we're set.  Setting up and taking down is faster too.    One thing I have to learn to remember again is ICE.  It's hard to tell in advance what size fridge you're going to have, so you may need to store some stuff in the cooler - and that means you need ice.
Camping and you need ice..... who'd a thunk it?
General / Re: A Fly in the Ointment...
Last post by 4Campers - Apr 09, 2024, 08:25 AM
That's good to hear.
On the road again!
Last post by GoneCamping - Apr 08, 2024, 09:13 PM
Just as an update, my dispute claims have been granted, and they are suppose to send me check(s) to cover 100% of the money taken, but not all at once it seems. I should get around $1500 in 7-10 days. Had to refile for the other $1120, but since it's part of what has already been investigated & granted, that shouldn't take as long. That money was held up in a "pending" status that they missed.

Meanwhile, I did get my April Soc Security the other day, so I leave Florida tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, one night in Yemassee SC, and then a few nights in Williamsburg Va.
Last post by 4Campers - Mar 24, 2024, 09:00 AM
Don't you hate it when the rep's English is terrible? One time I asked to speak with a different rep because I was tired of asking her to repeat what she said 3-4 times.
Hope you get all your money back. Damn hackers.
Last post by GoneCamping - Mar 23, 2024, 09:17 PM
As for the bank being responsive, I've called them several times over the last couple of weeks, in all but one of those calls I could barely understand what the Customer rep was saying, and they seem to have trouble understanding what I was saying. Not sure what country those calls are routed through, sounded like China or the Philippines, and it was very frustrating every time.

That being said, of the 2 transgressions, the first one is reported been cleared and I'll get a full refund on that account, not sure exactly when they'll send the money, but they have indicated it's going to be sent and the investigation is final.

I figure it'll take 5 to 7 days for them to complete the 2nd transgression, and that one is for over $1600 so I hope it comes soon.
Last post by toomanytents - Mar 23, 2024, 08:04 PM
Good work!
Last post by GoneCamping - Mar 22, 2024, 04:05 PM
That particular bank says they won't open another account with me. So I opened two new accounts, this time in totally different banks. One is a small bank only here in Florida and few other southern states, and their system I can control from their app, I turn off all outgoing activity except predetermined auto pay accounts, I can go into the app and turn the card "swipe" feature on, make a purchase then log back in and turn it right back off.

I also set up everything to be two part verification on everything, changed and enhanced new passwords & pin numbers, and even changed my phone number to a different state (all those accounts were tied in with the phone number, even the new accounts use the phone number).