News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Campground help needed

Started by OC Campers, Jan 31, 2005, 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OC Campers

We are wanting to go camping the weekend of Feb 11-14.  Can anyone give me some ideas of where to go?  The state parks are probably out because we will need electricity to run the heater at night.  I was hoping to stay within 100 miles or so from home.  Unfortunately, with the weather, going west is probably are only alternative.

Jacqui

towrod

Far Horizons 49er Village, the site of the 2003 Western Rally is always a safe winter destination.  They put a giant tent over the smaller heated pool and there is indoor heated Jacuzzi.  
We had a good time at 49er at the end of December.
http://www.49ervillage.com/

Another possibility would be Lake Francis Resort - "ain't never been there but they tell me it's nice."
//www.lakefrancisrv.com

OC Campers

Quote from: towrodFar Horizons 49er Village, the site of the 2003 Western Rally is always a safe winter destination. They put a giant tent over the smaller heated pool and there is indoor heated Jacuzzi.
We had a good time at 49er at the end of December.
http://www.49ervillage.com/

Another possibility would be Lake Francis Resort - "ain't never been there but they tell me it's nice."
www.lakefrancisrv.com
Rod, we thought about 49er.  Lake Francis looks nice too.  We went to Collins Lake in November and the bathroom situation wasn't good but Lake Francis appears to be just down the road.  I think this may be an idea.

Thank you

Surfcal

Why don't you go to Snug Harbor.  We had a rally there once.  The surroundings and people kinda remind you of that movie Deliverance, but other than that, it's a good nearby place.

Surfcal

http://www.snugharbor.net/

OC Campers

I just looked back at the NNC past rallies page.  What a group.  This was the place where the infamous tri-tip problem happened.  What a neat looking place.  If we went here I think a few more people would have to go along.  It just wouldn't be right going by ourselves.

Is it complicated to find?  I know Otter had some problems getting there.

Jacqui

towrod

Quote from: OC CampersIs it complicated to find?  I know Otter had some problems getting there.

Jacqui

It's not complicated but I would NOT recommend arriving after dark if you have never been before.  the Levee roads are VERY dark and not well marked.   You might consider the long way round and go to Rio Vista first then back north to the park.  

One thing to remember is that this is right along a channel of the Sacramento River -  When we went 2 years ago Debbie was very nervous with our 18 month old and the proximity of the moving water..........

OC Campers

Quote from: towrodIt's not complicated but I would NOT recommend arriving after dark if you have never been before. the Levee roads are VERY dark and not well marked. You might consider the long way round and go to Rio Vista first then back north to the park.

One thing to remember is that this is right along a channel of the Sacramento River - When we went 2 years ago Debbie was very nervous with our 18 month old and the proximity of the moving water..........
Thanks for the warning Rod.  My 4 year old thinks he can defy gravity. :eyecrazy: Fortunately, he is afraid of water. but  I wouldn't put it past him to test it.:mad:

Jacqui

forestwalker

Not sure that it is within a hundred miles,but the Santa Cruz KOA may work for you.

OC Campers

Quote from: forestwalkerNot sure that it is within a hundred miles,but the Santa Cruz KOA may work for you.
I think Santa Cruz is a little far.  I originally thought about Mt. Madonna but Mapquest said it was 185 miles.  Just a little too far for a weekend alone.  We might try it for a rally someday.

Jacqui

Surfcal

Going West is good, it gets you closer to the ocean.  This one is right off Russian River.  One of the places the group loves is Casini Ranch.  I think this will fall in the category of 100 miles or so.  Here's the link:

http://www.casiniranch.com/

This is also Deliverance, Marin style.  At least they eat organic meat and vegetables.

Surfcal

Dee4j

Quote from: OC CampersWe are wanting to go camping the weekend of Feb 11-14.  Can anyone give me some ideas of where to go?  The state parks are probably out because we will need electricity to run the heater at night.  I was hoping to stay within 100 miles or so from home.  Unfortunately, with the weather, going west is probably are only alternative.

Jacqui

yeah wait until the 18th and come join us in newport :yikes:  :J

OC Campers

Quote from: Dee4jyeah wait until the 18th and come join us in newport :yikes: :J
NOT!!  Thanks for the offer though Deidre.  Just a little too far for a weekend.
You know I would if I could.:)

Jacqui

griffsmom

Quote from: OC CampersNOT!! Thanks for the offer though Deidre. Just a little too far for a weekend.
You know I would if I could.:)

Jacqui
If we could convince gsm to fly up and drive your PU, you'd get to Newport in the same amnount of time it would take you and Randy to drive 100 miles....;)

Seems perfectly logical to me. :D

OC Campers

Quote from: griffsmomIf we could convince gsm to fly up and drive your PU, you'd get to Newport in the same amnount of time it would take you and Randy to drive 100 miles....;)

Seems perfectly logical to me. :D
Sorry Lori, I missed this one.  If we were just a tad closer (lets say 400 miles:D )  I would be there.  I probably would of even paid the horrendous prices at Newport Dunes (even though it was only 7 miles from home).  I would be there if I could.

Jacqui

OC Campers

Since going to Newport Beach is out of the question we have made reservations to go to Lake Francis RV resort this weekend (2/11-2/14) If anyone is free come out and join us.

www.lakefrancisrv.com

We are in site B11

Jacqui